Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jimale

Pallasite strewn field found in northern kenya.

Tons of  pallasite had been recovered in northern Kenya, its a strewn field of more than 20km square.  1kg is $500 at the site

Found this stuff  6fts deep, with a metal detector, the pic may be poor

IMG_20170609_091204.jpg

On 6/16/2017 at 9:39 PM, Jimale said:

Tons of  pallasite had been recovered in northern Kenya, its a strewn field of more than 20km square.  1kg is $500 at the site

IMG_20170609_091204.jpg

As we were returning home, l found , this one Laying at the roadside, nice fusion crust, and rust.

DSC00849.JPG

DSC00858.JPG

IMG_20170617_235120.jpg

On 6/16/2017 at 9:39 PM, Jimale said:

IMG_20170609_091204.jpg

As we were returning home, l found , this one Laying at the roadside, nice fusion crust, and rust.

And for the strewn field question, please refer to meterocist list, 12 may, 2017, by Michael farmer, famous meteorite hunter. I don't take any credit here,  I understand the consequences of  plagiarism.

Thanks

That's not fusion crust. That's a terrestrial rock. Also, I've never seen a meteorite with a reddish interior like that.

• Like 1

Jimale,

There are no centimeter-sized olivine crystals of peridot surrounded by an iron-nickel matrix . It not a meteorite, much less a pallasite.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
  • Like 1

The dog barks while caravan passes

1 minute ago, Jimale said:

The dog barks while caravan passes

I think the dog will have better luck finding a real meteorite...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SanDomingoJim said:

I think the dog will have better luck finding a real meteorite...

My friend the meteorite is already sold and its own the  way, to its destination. 

Buyer beware!

• Like 1

I feel sorry for whoever bought it, you shouldn't be selling things as meteorites without proper analysis and confirmation.  We call that fraud here in the USA.

• Like 2

Of the six known meteorites recovered in Kenya none are Pallasites. Anyone can claim a rock is a meteorite. That cannot make it a meteorite. It must be authenticated by a recognized meteorite lab or expert. It is preferable to have it published in the Meteoritical Bulletin as well. Jimale, you have only presented us with meteor-wrongs. Have a recognized lab analyse your best candidates and show us the reports.

billpeters

Namehelp Statushelp Fallhelp Yearhelp Placehelp Typehelp Masshelp MetBullhelp GoogleEarthhelp
  ••Map all
Notes
7 records found for meteorites from Kenya with names that contain "*"
Bur-Abor ** Official   1997 North-Eastern, Kenya Iron, IIIAB 290 kg 84 Google Earth   
Duruma Official Y 1853 Coast, Kenya L6 577 g   Google Earth   
Kuresoi ** Official Y 2014 Rift Valley, Kenya L6 555 g 103 Google Earth   
Meru Official Y 1945 Eastern, Kenya LL6 6 kg   Google Earth   
Rumuruti ** Official Y 1934 Rift Valley, Kenya R3.8-6 67 g 75 Google Earth   
Sotik Doubtful Y 1946 Kenya Doubtful meteorite 2.05 kg      
Thika ** Official Y 2011 Central, Kenya L6 14.2 kg 100 Google Earth   

Bill, there is a brand new Pallasite from Kenya that's not in the MetBull yet.  Could this be one of them?  Who knows, but one dirty picture sure doesn't seem to convey adequate proof.

https://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com/msg125724.html

Scroll down to May 12 for photos (I don't use FB, but I can still see these): https://www.facebook.com/meteoritecentral/

• Like 1

Mike,

You and Jimale are correct. Farmer's pics show very interesting Olivine inclusions. Nice! Maybe Jimale's first in situ pic is real. I would like to see it cleaned up a lot with good photos though to better assess. We will probably see it at the Tucson Gem show next January.

billpeters

54 minutes ago, billpeters said:

Mike,

You and Jimale are correct. Farmer's pics show very interesting Olivine inclusions. Nice! Maybe Jimale's first in situ pic is real. I would like to see it cleaned up a lot with good photos though to better assess. We will probably see it at the Tucson Gem show next January.

billpeters

I don't think you will get to see it cleaned up at least here on the forum, since Jimale has already said it was sold and on it's way to the new owner.

Meteorite..? Meteor-wrong..? I just want a detector that can beep to 6 fts..
What kind was it again..?
The only thing I ever beeped & dug anywheres near 6 fts is a '39 Ford flathead..

Swamp

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Collected this rock from the pallasite strewn field.

65% Fe,  25% taenite.(Ni,Fe)

IMG_20170713_153629.jpg

IMG_20170713_153729.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:43 AM, gaustad18 said:

That's not fusion crust. That's a terrestrial rock. Also, I've never seen a meteorite with a reddish interior like that.

My Trilby wash chondrite is reddish inside and yes it is classified... L4, Pick shows interior after slicing....

Trilbywash001.jpg

• Like 3

My 7kg  pallasite from the habaswein strewn field, a total of 27kg in my possession.

IMG_20170722_001039.jpg

IMG_20170722_001807.jpg

IMG_20170722_001725.jpg

• Like 1

Just a estimate but if that object is approximately 9"x5"x4" and weight is 7kg the density would be 2.37g/cm

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, Bill Southern said:

My Trilby wash chondrite is reddish inside and yes it is classified... L4, Pick shows interior after slicing....

Trilbywash001.jpg

Bill, I stand corrected, that's quite an amazing find that you had while out detecting. I was simply pointing out that Jimale's rock that he posted that had a reddish interior looked like rust or some type of oxidized metal, not something that resembled a meteorite. Your meteorite, on the other hand, clearly has nickel-iron flecks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gaustad18 said:

Bill, I stand corrected, that's quite an amazing find that you had while out detecting. I was simply pointing out that Jimale's rock that he posted that had a reddish interior looked like rust or some type of oxidized metal, not something that resembled a meteorite. Your meteorite, on the other hand, clearly has nickel-iron flecks.

Thanks, the red was a surprise when cut because the outer broken areas showed little or no red due to weathering....

10 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Thanks, the red was a surprise when cut because the outer broken areas showed little or no red due to weathering....

gaustad 18

That is a rust I said it in my initial post, it's an exterior not an interior of a rock pliz look keenly 

Edited by Jimale

Ahhhh sorry Jimale, we wandered off into another subject sorry. I am enjoying the photos you are showing and would love to see a cut face someday. Your picture quality is much better now.

• Like 2

Congrats, Jimale, looks like you found a nice one.  Any plans to cut it open?  I'd like to see the inside, too.

• Like 2

No place to cut it open,mike!