Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ArcticDave

Another horse in the stable.

I've regretted selling my old dirtsquirt since I did it. I have seen more of the local desert on it than anything else.

TomH to the rescue! 

I helped Tom figure out his rear differential last fall and we(mostly he) just rebuilt the transmission in his yota. My prize was this poor ol' 89 RM250 sitting forlornly under a tarp in Tom's backyard. Back in the days of her youth she was a steed to be reckoned with. I'm going to try and bring her back up to snuff. :thumbsupanim

IMAG0372.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
Grammer
  • Like 8

Was gonna say she looks purt good until I noticed the gear cover's off.. If only it was that simple though.. Why do I get the feeling a piece of aspirated metal = beat to chit piston & cylinder..?

Swamp

You talking about the Front Drive Sprocket ?  

Swamp, they all have exposed drive socket anymore. Engine is good. Tom changed neck and swingarm bearings and cleaned it up. The idle climbs on it I guess. Probably a large intake leak leaning the mixture. It needs tires and a few other things before it gets ridden at all. 

• Like 1

Kewl.. That was the anesthesia talking anyhow -- can't even see yet..
Put that keyboard down before you hurt someone, son..
Okay -- I go to my room now, yes..?
Good idea (pat, pat..)
Byeee..

• Like 1

Reed valves and exhaust port could be carboned/clogged- common problem , of course, unless 100:1 synthetic Juju.

It was SOP back in the day to pull the head and decarbon piston/combustion dome, deck the head, race gas or octane booster, raise the needle, richen the mains, and detonate the motor:brows::tisk-tisk:..  Then break out the torch and bake the carbon out of the siliencer.

Edited by weaver hillbille

5 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

. The idle climbs on it I guess. Probably a large intake leak leaning the mixture. 

The carb( needs rebuild) slide might be gummy  from sitting and old gas.  Leak  an unlit propane torch all around the intake plumbing-away from the airbox.- and it should  bump the idle more , if leakin.

I think bulk gasket exhaust material could fashion as OEM reed valve gasket, if you tear those down to access intake ports, if needed.

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 2

Tom said he replaced the reeds and thats when it started happening...I think. I'll tear into it when I have the money to fix it. It has a Pro Circuit pipe and with new reeds it may just breathe too well! I have seen this happen when the crankcase seal behind the flywheel goes bad. Sucks a large amount of air right into the bottom end. The leak leans the mixture and boom....idle climbs out of control. We'll see how it goes. I've got to clear out some space for it inside, as I might just tear it all the way down and do a complete restoration on it. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArcticDave said:

just breathe too well! I have seen this happen when the crankcase seal behind the flywheel goes bad.  :)

Oy, now I remember splitting cases for that exact reason... shop wanted megabucks..

Check out the dogs in the trans when you get to that point: the 1-2 shift tends to go first when it ramps/wears enough to slide out of gear.

Racers used to reverse  ramp the dogs so it would pull the gear in.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Reed valves and exhaust port could be carboned/clogged- common problem , of course, unless 100:1 synthetic Juju.

It was SOP back in the day to pull the head and decarbon piston/combustion dome, deck the head, race gas or octane booster, raise the needle, richen the mains, and detonate the motor:brows::tisk-tisk:..  Then break out the torch and bake the carbon out of the siliencer.

I remember using the REAL Naphtha Moth Balls to get things going.  Gave you a few more ponies !

I see.

About like the acetone wives tale. Lots of claims with no real data to back it up.

A friend of mine swears adding acetone to his tank increases his power and mileage. I tried it a couple of times and noticed zero difference.  I filled up his truck once after borrowing it and didn't add the acetone like he asked. He had noticed no difference when asked about it later. :200:

Undoubtedly it makes for a dandy injector cleaner, but that's probably the extent of its benefits. 

• Like 3

No Wives tale.  It worked quite well in a Suzuki 250.  Melt 4 in a pint of gas and add it to  a full tank.  Gave you noticeable added power ripping in the desert.

• Like 1

For a while if you bought gas in Mexico here down in Polomas they was using Crap Gas at the tank with Naphthalene added.  You could tell if you got some it would smoke bad.  Not from the Naphthalene but the Crap Gas.

http://www.hho4free.com/additives/naphthalene.html

I wonder what makes it work?:89:

Gas already contains 3-7% naptha derivatives. They used to use it straight as fuel, but the octane is really low and it will cause a modern engine to pre-detonate if used uncut. Coleman fuel is almost straight naptha... that might be a easier way to get it. 

Yep, Coleman fuel aka White Gas is hot as hell.  Not so sure I would try that strait up in a Two Stroke.  They run hot to start with.  Did get my hands on a gal of Nitro Drag fuel one time.  A cup of that in the tank livened things up most well. Popped a hole in a piston doing that one. Spark plug had melted aluminum glued to it. I think it would had worked if I cranked up the Auto Oil Injection or added oil to the mix.  LOL  Belonged to a Amateur  Moto X club for a while .  Think everyone did the moth ball thing back then.  Gave that up when they decided running over someones head while they was down was fair game.  People have played with all sorts of mixes.  I never got past the moth ball thing to the most parts.

Edited by homefire

2 hours ago, homefire said:

...Belonged to a Amateur  Moto X club for a while...  ...Gave that up when they decided running over someones head while they was down was fair game...

You too, eh..? I was into the sport realll early on ('60s,) until right after the same basic thing happened to me.. To be fair I did go down at the bottom of a blind whoop -- not the best spot on a track to eat it.. All I could do was lie there half under the bike until everyone else went by n we could get me n the bike outta the next lap's way.. Considering my situation I think I handled getting run over pretty good.. Don't think I would have handled a direct landing-upon quite as well though..

Ironically, this also happens to be the very same day I realized just exactly how much pleasure could be derived simply from cruzin' our highways & byways on a scoot.. Weird, huh..?

Swamp

• Like 4

LOL ! Yep, Avoiding running over a few folks cost me placing in a few races.  Found the open desert just as challenging.  Three or four of us out zipping around ram roding with out the threats.   Way more Cool.

• Like 2

Roaming the desert is more fun for me too. Had a blast doing it on the old yamaha. Lots of single track trails here...some of them are straight flippin  sketchy though. I've been really close to needing a diaper change a few times riding here. 

• Like 2

Wish I had like a 25o again.  Plenty of places to go you can't do in a truck around here. 

• Like 1

Same here man. A bike will go many places a 4 wheel rig can't. A lot faster too:)

Yep.   Just limited on what you can haul with you.  Not a problem for exploring and detecting. 

• Like 1