Nugget Shooter Forums
Safari

Lightest VLF

Hello fellow Prospectors. I am planning a long bike tour around the majestic American West this Summer. I would love to prospect along the way. Of course I'll bring a pan, snuffer, and my ice axe, but I must keep it light and would love to bring a detector as well. Anyone recommend a good detector under 3lbs? So far I'm thinking Gold Bug Pro, 2.5lbs and only one 9V. Are they easy to take apart for storage? 

I believe the Gold Bug Pro has two screws that need to be removed to detach the head/meter. They are Philips head screws. As I found out, it is easier to just tack weld a tab on them for easy removal. Other than that, breaks down into 3 pieces.

• Like 1

I personally would recommend the gold bug 2, over the pro. It's also very lightweight. 

• Like 3

I second the Goldbug 2.

• Like 1

A Falcon Gold Probe would be easy to carry and store and with a gold pan in a gold bearing area you will find gold.

Edited by fishing8046
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, fishing8046 said:

A Falcon Gold Probe would be easy to carry and store and with a gold pan in a gold bearing area you will find gold.

That's a great idea! Seems perfect for tailings and bedrock. Also only 14oz and 300 kHz...Wow!

Maybe a dumb question, but is it conceivable to use a Falcon MD20 as opposed to a metal detector? 

This would be Ideal weight wise.

Thanks!  

Yeah, if you want to crawl around on your hands and knees..... and not cover any area.

• Like 1

Falcon is a pinpointer, not a metal detector...Huge difference! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 3

I'm a little suspicious about the gold probe.  To me it looks dousing.  The reviews don't seem to good either.

At best the MD20 looks like it will whet your appetite until you can get a gold metal detector.

I bought many things when I started prospecting that were a complete waste of money for me: a gold wheel, a home made trammel, a home made screen, a used flimsily built low yield recirculator; wrong type of pick, the list goes on and on and on.

To be honest, Other than a Gold Bug or other similarly priced gold metal detector, probably don't have any chance finding gold.  For just as much, you could get  a drywasher.  Not light like you want, but much better chance at finding gold.  For around the price of the MD-20, you could get yourself a pick, shovel, classifiers, and a sluice, but unless your trip takes you to a creek, like the East Fork of the San Gabriel river, you won't be able to use the sluice without water.  The sluice is pretty heavy.

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone! Yeah I'm not to keen on the idea of crawling around for specs. I want a detector for pickers and nuggets and it seems the Gold Bug 2 is still top of line. 

Any thoughts on the Gold Bug Pro? Would I regret not shelling out the extra $100

This book is pretty much based around the Gold Bug Pro:

Hello everyone, my book "Detecting for Gold, Adventures, Trips and Tips" is now for sale at http://www.trinityau.com Thanks, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

I have both the Gold Bug 2 and the Gold Bug Pro.  I've found pounds of nuggets over the years with the Gold Bug 2 because I've had it so long. Only a couple of dozen nuggets with the Gold Bug Pro because I always grab the GB 2.

I wouldn't be afraid to go with the GB Pro though. It's lighter and breaks down smaller, It also has a discriminator which helps if you want to hunt coins.

It has a display which the GB2 does not.

There are other gold detectors too........

• Like 2

I use the GB Pro exclusively as I have no rotator cuff in my right shoulder.  P I detectors just don't work for me because they are too heavy.  The Pro is easer to use than the GB 2 and has a display window with Ferris bars and number count out.  These are not always accurate to the nth degree but help out a great deal when in hot ground.  The Pro also sports an elliptical coil for mineralized ground and wider range.  I have hunted with guys that were using the GB 2 and I would go over their targets before they dug them and I could hear 99% of them.  I am 83 years old and my hearing is not the best so I may miss a flake or two.  It is easier to balance and you don't have to do it as often.  It is a great machine for the money but it is not a PI.  I think that depth is the biggest sacrifice of this beeper. 

Old Tom 

• Like 6

Another thing to start thinking is what club to join.  For the Southwest in general, the GPAA would be best.  For certain states, there's others, like Roadrunner which is exclusively AZ.

The club claims let you go on claims belonging to the club which will keep you out of someone else's claim and also off govt ground you are not supposed to be on like military reservations or state trust land.  There's a couple of military reservations out here bigger than the state of Connecticut.  The state trust land you risk losing all your equipment for prospecting on that.

• Like 1

The MD 20 has available a 3-piece-connected foldable handle which allows one to use the machine like a metal detector, to a degree, or as an extention for tight spots.. In all honestly though, at 300 kHz it's virtually too hot to use as a general detector as it'll pick up everything..! I've found it's best used in areas of patchy-but-plentiful tiny gold, more like a pin pointer as a couple folks have already said -- like along an inside bend to find a loaded area, as the probe is waterproof..

Beyond that I'd say one of the Gold Bug's.. Something I don't know off the top of my head about them because I don't have one is if the GBP is at all water resistant.. I'm pretty sure the GB2 is not, don't know about the GBP.. A little help here GB owners, thanks..

Swamp

Only the coils are waterproof.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LipCa said:

Only the coils are waterproof.

...and that should be more-than-good enough for what the gentleman intends.. Thanks LipCa..

Swamp

• Like 1

The input really helps everyone thanks. I'm starting to see the GB2 is definitely the better overall model, but for me on this trip the GBP seems perfect! 

Maybe get a pinpointer in the future.

Also I'm definitely going to sign up for the GPAA before leaving. I already found out they have access to 11 claims in the CA mother lode region. 

15 hours ago, Safari said:

Any thoughts on the Gold Bug Pro? Would I regret not shelling out the extra $100

In my book, YES!! But it really depends on you and how you detect, the Pro would be "simpler", less learning curve and less frustrating at first. Better suited to someone that doesnt get out much or have the patience.

The GB2 is a superior gold detector if you use to its capabilities. Many peeps I have found dont like dealing with all the noise and constant ground balancing required by the GB2 so they turn down the sensitivity, total waste of the machine to me. It really requires taking time to learn the noises and nuances of the machine, you can distinguish tone differences from hotrock and gold or other metals and gold ( lead and gold still sound the same to me though). So if you are dedicated and want the best possibility of finding gold between those two detectors then go GB2.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:32 AM, Safari said:

I am planning a long bike tour around the majestic American West this Summer

Well, that is going to eliminate sluices, shovels and lots of other stuff.  I suggest the GB Pro, read the manual and practice with it. Its a great little gold hunter and coin shooter. Stick with the small coil. Work only exposed bedrock and benches- you will get tons of lead in or near the water. For an even simpler way to find gold, read up on sniping. A face mask, couple of little picks and a basting tube is all you need. If it is hot you will love the cool water!

have fun!

fred

• Like 1

I think that the thing we are failing to tell Safari is the fact that most detectors have about a 2 year learning curve before finding their 1st detectable gold..All said and done more gold is found panning, Sleuthing, and dredging than any other way. As I mentioned the Falcon Gold Probe fits more of the characteristics that Safari had in mind with out the $800.00 price. Most of us on this site did not find our 1st gold detecting. Rather we found the right area, the right kind of pay dirt, at the right depth for the area and classified our way to our first gold.  I truly have no horse in the detector race but all things being said fine gold makes up the majority of gold on this planet. Detectable gold is a rarity.

• Like 1

I'm not completely new to prospecting. I did some hand panning in the Eastern Sierras while living in Mammoth, CA last year. Plus trying to study up on Geolgy, rules, history, etc. 

This bike tour will allow me a couple hours most days to fiddle with a detector. I'm only 25, I won't mind the the learning curve. The pinpointer seems cool, but something nostalgic about panning the old fashion way. Knowing you found that gold yourself by reading the land, stream, rock, etc. 

image.png

Sorry for the bad quality, my sister took it. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't recommend the MD20, yes it's very sensitive and if you get the probe near gold it will sound off, BUT it only detects at about 1" and if using it for a pin pointer there are better choices IMHO for that purpose, and I only use mine for checking for hidden gold in good looking quartz samples for the most part and some time in shallow cracks and crevices, GBP or GB2 would be my choices.

• Like 1

Exactly right, Au Seeker It will sound off on pyrite and others too.

14 minutes ago, LipCa said:

Exactly right, Au Seeker It will sound off on pyrite and others too.

Yes it will but it does signal differently on gold/non-ferrous targets than it does on iron based/ferrous targets.

As a first-year desert nugget-shooter newbie, I asked a million questions and I ended up taking Old Tom's advice regarding the Gold Bug Pro. I have also detected a little bit with a GB 2. I have to say the Gold Bug Pro is a great light-weight, user-friendly machine. I'd metal detected for coins and relics for many years (with a cheaper general metal detector) but I decided on the GBP for my first VLF nugget detector. Zero regrets! It's pretty much the lightest gold detector out there, not counting pin-pointers. The computerized automatic ground-balancing makes it much easier to learn. I'd only taken mine out in the field a handful of times since I bought it last Summer and I've already found 4 tiny nuggets with it so far, so yeah... I'm a huge fan, albeit a little bit biased. ;)

In my humble opinion, the GB2 is a bit more complex with a more gradual learning curve - especially for a beginner. It's a great machine and it will sense tiny gold at greater depth than the GBP but, until one really learns how to keep it ground balanced and how to interpret the tones it makes, it could be a while before you're digging up nuggets.

My 2 cents worth...

Lisa

• Like 5