Nugget Shooter Forums
adam

What The Heck !!

Apparently I have a gripe.....

I was out at Rich Hill area today, and got to thinking about PVC & metal claim markers. Personally I think they look like crap !  They take for ever to deteriorate and will be left out in the desert by you claim owners who chose to put them up but will never, ever  take them down when your done working your claim. Thats to assume that you are even working your claim, (but thats another gripe.) 

I was thinking about all this trash in the desert because of your lazy claim stakers, when someone go`s driving down  Stanton road by me, and whats in the back of his truck??? A bunch of 2 inch PVC pipes and studded fence T-posts !!  Great , lets just add some metal posts to the deliberate littering!!  Good grief!  Ever hear of  2" x 2 " wood posts and a stack of natural stone or how about just a stack of rocks without the post??  Or is that to much work ? I suppose if thats to much work for you then your new mining claim will go pretty much untouched  . :nutty:

If you are a new claim holder, please just consider a stack of rocks or WOOD posts rather than just copying what all the other lazy people are doing around you. I know you want to show off your new claim but put some thought into it. Please consider the trash you WILL  leave when you dont find any gold on your new claim at Rich Hill.

If it were up to me , PVC / metal pipes ( or any other unnatural object) would be banned from use as corner,centerline ,or discovery markers period ! Then I would impose a fine and your claim revoked immediately for using such products. I think of the PVC and metal posts as nothing less that blatant littering,  and should be considered moral turpitude and un lawful.

IMG_9103_zpshutumygt.jpg

markers_zpshsvwnlfg.jpg

• Like 9

Last I heard, 2x2 Wood posts were supposed to be the only thing used here in Nv. Rock monuments also of course.  But I haven't staked a claim in over 3 years so I don't know if it changed or not. I see the same thing here Adam. Lots of plastic pipe out there.

I was down in the McCullough Range in southern Nevada a couple of weeks ago. I ran into a BLM firefighter, who they were keeping busy in the off season. His winter job was to find, pull up, and discard old plastic claim markers. He was discarding them by just laying them on the ground. I asked him what claim markers were now in vogue with the BLM, but he didn't know.

Jim

I used to work for some mining companies years ago and in Cali the rule was 4x4 wooden posts ... AZ is a lot less strict...  You sure are grouchy today Adam! :D ...Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

Rock stacks last longer and don't cost anything but a little time.

I've found a bunch of that plastic pipe out here too. Mostly half azzed staked out by someone who is selling mostly worthless mineral rights to unsuspecting suckers. You are right...never seen anyone pick them back up again. Littering is littering. 

While some states have banned PVC pipe as markers, its use is still legal in AZ.. I believe the only requirements for its usage
other than 4' out-of-ground height are they must be solid (no perforated pipe) and capped.. They do look crappy for sure
but it isn't illegal to use in AZ, at least not yet..

Swamp

• Like 1

Shoot Adam, you got me feeling bad. I'll go pull mine this weekend, I dissolved my claim last year and didn't even think about pulling the markers :arrowheadsmiley:. Lets start an abandoned claim stake pulling party!!

• Like 1

I'm guessing rockstacks are out of favor because they are easily vandalized/dispersed.  Everything else, post wise, has to be pulled out or pushed over.

What about steel Tposts as a valid corner marker? It's he11 pulling those out of the ground- would have to be sawzall'd off @ ground level.

Environutz scam to tear down your corner markers--see poor birdie--how did it crawl through a pipe full of rocks?? see top/bottom of pole AND pics taken many months apart..one tough tweetie bird I'd say.:2mo5pow: John

img010.jpg

• Like 1

Wow Adam, you sure know how to hurt a guy:cry2: Here I thought I was being a good little doobie, following the AZ BLMs guidelines for monumenting my claims, and it turns out that I'm just pissing off my fellow miners. Not intentional I assure you, I'd much rather not attract any attention, good or bad. I actually prefer the PVC for longevity and visibility(don't have to repaint), but do agree that they aren't the most attractive thing to look at out in the field.  Later...Jim P.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Shoot Adam, you got me feeling bad. I'll go pull mine this weekend, I dissolved my claim last year and didn't even think about pulling the markers :arrowheadsmiley:. Lets start an abandoned claim stake pulling party!!

Thats a swell idea Shay , I`ll bring the beer   :D:200:

1 hour ago, Jim P. said:

Wow Adam, you sure know how to hurt a guy:cry2: Here I thought I was being a good little doobie, following the AZ BLMs guidelines for monumenting my claims, and it turns out that I'm just pissing off my fellow miners. Not intentional I assure you, I'd much rather not attract any attention, good or bad. I actually prefer the PVC for longevity and visibility(don't have to repaint), but do agree that they aren't the most attractive thing to look at out in the field.  Later...Jim P.

Im pretty sure you will get over it Jim :D    Guess im not going to be on many peoples Christmas list this year, after this  :idunno::grr01::4chsmu1:

• Like 2

How long do you think PVC will last?  The oldest I found were about 2004 (10 years old at the time) and were stained brown from dust.  Don't even know if it gets brittle in the sun.

There used to be a lot of equipment out on the mining sites and there is not much there now.  Some how either retuned to the earth as rust, or was taken out.  The PVC pipes are much easier to spot when looking for corners of an area than a rock pile or 4 X 4 wooden stake.  I can easily spot PVC if I have unobstructed line of sight from corner to corner of a 40 acre claim.

• Like 4

I have found they last a lot longer than wood as they are stolen for firewood. I punch in a steel fence post then pvc pipe-then cement it and surrounding rocks. I love it when environutz run their vehicles into them as coolant, engine oil, trans fluid marks the spot ....:yesss:summa beaches-John

• Like 3

Talking about mining claim markers, I noticed Gold Rush Expeditions is paying people to stake mining claims, and they use wood :) Looks like they pay $25-$35 per stake, and up to $50 in fuel reimbursment..

link to site

Edited by DolanDave

Paper Hangers.  Who signs off  on the discovery , assessment and improvements not ever being there ?   Sound like bad Ju Ju to me.  LoL, no money to be made if it was proper.  You would have to have other things to do in the area to even consider it.

HF

• Like 1

Don't really like the idea of bring paid to stake a claim like that.  Seems to be just helping people place paper claims by putting stakes in the ground for them.

Took me six or seven hours to stake two 20 acre adjacent placer claims.  Most of that was driving 90 minutes to the site and 90 minutes back and then walking to the two sets of four corners and digging the stake into the ground and then stacking the rocks,  Also spent about $25 in gas. 

With someone spending all day to put the four corners up, I'll bet there is no onsite prospecting done. I also bet you'd be staking their tier 3 E-Bay claims that would be heavy in saying catch phrases like "in the famous XXXX mining district..."; "Just 1 mile south of the XXXX mine that produced XXXX ounces of gold"; "15 ounce nugget detected nearby"; "Are ready for the apocalypse: you have food, water, shelter, but what would you use for currency? Now you can get your own valuable minerals..."; "Local minerals are silver, gold, copper, zink....".  All the typical E-Bay sayings that lack anything specific on the claim you're putting all your money in.

Just as some of the land is starting to open up, don't really need it getting claimed in that fashion and I don't want to contribute to what I consider an E-Bay scam.

• Like 3