Nugget Shooter Forums

Howdy all, here we go with the spring Nugget Shooter Outing and it will be held at the San Domingo Placers as usual the weekend on March 17th - 19th with main camp area at Jackass Flats. I will be supplying both smoked beef and pork roasts as the main course and you all will be required to bring a dish for the Potluck to attend.

SEE YOU THERE!

• Like 8

Can't wait I need some time off lol will probably be out their all week my self 

Count me in! :yesss:  March 17th is St Patty's Day - could be a sign of good luck! ;-)

That is the perfect time.  No reason I can't make it then!!!!  Got a break from work.

Will be likely the best flower show in 50 years....

• Like 1

Hi Bill ... Max and I are planning to be there. Besides Max would be upset if I didn't go and take him ... he hasn't raided a grill lately! LOL! I'll plan on bring some more of my Chili ... seems to go over fairly well ... going to put just a tad more heat to it this time though. :idunno:Last batch was a bit bland!

Mike F

• Like 2

cool Mike will be good to have ya there.

On 2/13/2017 at 10:01 AM, Mike Furness said:

Max and I are planning to be there. Besides Max would be upset if I didn't go and take him ... he hasn't raided a grill lately! LOL!

OUTSTANDING!!! :yesss:

I can't wait to spoil Max again. He's sure got a nose for the smoked bacon I make for breakfast!. BUT... if we're going to be using that low fire grill setup again (like the one used at the last Spring outing), we're going to need to keep a close eye on it. It's the perfect height for Max to do a snatch & run! LOL

Lisa

• Like 1

I have a wedding to attend on the 18th :cry2: so you need to push the outing back or foward-Just kidding have fum everyone :head: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

OK Mike C.  You all heard that.  Mike C has a wedding to attend, which means as soon as it is over he will bring wedding cake for desert.  Hey Mike, bring some of those candy coated Jordan Almonds too, I like those.

Doc

• Like 2

I'm thinking of bringing some hard tack biscuit.  I've been working on a recipe that is not as hard as rocks, but will still keep for a while.

3 hours ago, chrisski said:

I'm thinking of bringing some hard tack biscuit.  I've been working on a recipe that is not as hard as rocks, but will still keep for a while.

Always heard of hard tack biscuits in old westerns.  But I'm not really sure what they are or how they are made.

Just looked it up on google it says it is flour and water and maybe a little salt.  No leavening or milk or eggs.  Being I'm Catholic I am thinking it probably tastes like the communion wafer I get every Sunday at Mass.

WOW sounds delicious. 

Maybe you have a better recipe than what they are showing on google, I hope so!  :4chsmu1:

Doc

• Like 1

The recipe has some baking soda and salt for it to rise, with some brown sugar for flavoring. I'd bring something else besides the hard tack, but wanted to bring something for the mining heritage.

The first batch I baked was like rock hard communion bread.  This batch is better.  I would not torture anyone with the first recipe of flour and water cooked for two hours until rock hard.

• Like 2

Chrisski ... Being as this is Bill's Outing why not try all natural pure raw honey as the sweetener and flavor. There are many raw honey varieties out there due to the primary source of pollen for the bees with flavors from heavy/stronger mesquite to lighter/milder desert flower. Just a thought.

Mike F

Mike,

Thanks.  My wife had recommended honey.  I've got a couple more batches to bake up to tweak the recipe.  I do want to mix something into the dough mixture like granola or some seeds.

16 hours ago, chrisski said:

The recipe has some baking soda and salt for it to rise, with some brown sugar for flavoring. I'd bring something else besides the hard tack, but wanted to bring something for the mining heritage.

The first batch I baked was like rock hard communion bread.  This batch is better.  I would not torture anyone with the first recipe of flour and water cooked for two hours until rock hard.

LOL, sounds like what I would do.  Cook it until it either gets good or you can write on  the sidewalk with it like charcoal.

What would happen if you used baking powder instead of baking soda?  The brown sugar sounds like a good addition.

Doc

15 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Chrisski ... Being as this is Bill's Outing why not try all natural pure raw honey as the sweetener and flavor. There are many raw honey varieties out there due to the primary source of pollen for the bees with flavors from heavy/stronger mesquite to lighter/milder desert flower. Just a thought.

Mike F

Poor Chrisski, we are all giving him suggestions.  I bet he loves that!  Being this is Bill's Outting why don't you just stop by the local mall food court and buy about $600 worth of Cinnabuns.  You can never go wrong with Cinnabuns.  But them on top of a piece of your hardtack and I bet you will get rave reviews.  :ROFL:

I remember when Scottie "Jackhammer" from Australia was explaining to me how delicious Vegemite was.  He said fist you toast some bread, then spread some butter on it, then put a real real thin coat of Vegemite on it.  Then put some jam on it, and cover it in honey with a little salt, it's delicious.  I said, "How in the hell do you taste the Vegemite with all that other crap?"  He said, "Exactly!"

They say it's an acquired taste.  Maybe for someone that hasn't had food for 30 days.  LOL

Scottie brought me a jar of it and I wouldn't taste it, it smelled awful.  Of course my teenage sons were game so they each took a spoonful and proceeded to hack and groan.  So for the next 3 years every time they would bring a friend to the house they would bet them $5 they couldn't eat a spoonful of vegemite.  It was sort of like watching someone try to choke down a teaspoon of cinnamon.  The Vegemite  might not have tasted good but the entertainment value was worth the price of admission.

Doc

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Cook it until it either gets good or you can write on  the sidewalk with it like charcoal.

I'm still LOL'ing over that one! Cooking by trial & error... My failed culinary experiments usually end up in the garbage disposal, right along with the fail recipe!

17 hours ago, chrisski said:

I'd bring something else besides the hard tack, but wanted to bring something for the mining heritage.

Being a HUGE fan of beef jerky & knowing that it was also a major source of dietary protein for both miners and cowpokes alike, jerky would be another idea along those same lines. My contribution will most likely be a more modern side dish or something... But kudos to you, Crisski, for trying something unique!! :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Oregal1976 said:

Being a HUGE fan of beef jerky & knowing that it was also a major source of dietary protein for both miners and cowpokes alike, jerky would be another idea along those same lines. My contribution will most likely be a more modern side dish or something... But kudos to you, Crisski, for trying something unique!! :)

Oregal, have you ever tasted the steak strips they sell at COSTCO?  It's thicker than Jerky, and a bit softer but tastes just like jerky.  I carry it around with me when I am on my no - carb diet.  A couple of pieces chases away the hunger, and keeps the protein high.

Doc

• Like 1

I don't need no stinkin recipe's, my cooking is never a complete failure,The dog keeps giving me funny looks though.
I agree Oregal and Doc about the jerky. I've survived out in the field for weeks on jerky and fruit bars and its always nice to have some with you in case you end up staying longer than you planned on.

as far as the hard tack, I don't know about that stuff. you would probably work up an appetite just trying to eat it!.

I thought that stuff went out with the Civil War?
AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AzNuggetBob said:

as far as the hard tack, I don't know about that stuff. you would probably work up an appetite just trying to eat it!.

YUP! And maybe a broken tooth or two! :idunno:

Mike F

Edited by Mike Furness
  • Like 1

The Hard Tack may get some getting used to, but we just made some and it didn't taste bad with butter or dipped in coffee.  I had it early in the week with a slice of corned beef on top and it was good.  It would probably go good with brisket or beans.

HARD TACK BISCUITS

1 Cup All Purpose Flour

½ Cup Corn Meal

½ Cup Wheat Flour

2 Teaspoon Baking Soda

½ Teaspoon salt

3 TBSP Brown Sugar

1 Cup Water

½ Cup Sunflower Seeds

Mix Dry Ingredients in Pan.  Add water and mix until doughy.  Add a ¼ teaspoon of water as needed or ¼ Teaspoon White Flour.  Consistency should be same as buisquick biscuit rolls.  Put ball of dough on 2 foot section of aluminum foil.  Sprinkle liberally with flour. Roll 3/8” Thick in rectangle.  Cut Dough to 20 square pieces. Poke 8 to 16 holes in each piece with chopstick. Will look like a large cracker when ready to put in oven.

Cook 225 Degrees for 2 Hours.

Hard Tack.jpg

Are those like "Corn Dodgers"  on the movie True Grit?