Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

Bill's Bees.... Honeybees that is.

43 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Guys, don't do this. Let Bill take care of the problem.

https://apnews.com/dac6448345c0495490b981d980e0d038

Don't light beeswax in your roof  on fire?  Pretty self-evident, I'd say except for DArwin CAndidates.

Cold ,SOapy water spray(well  after sundown), puts them to sleep for good..

Yes indeed and not just bees and our ecosystem depends on many insects to keep things running smoothly, but these poisons are killing off much more than it's intended victims and this may include us if we do not wake up.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:27 PM, Bill Southern said:

Yes indeed and not just bees and our ecosystem depends on many insects to keep things running smoothly, but these poisons are killing off much more than it's intended victims and this may include us if we do not wake up.....

I kept around fifteen hives around my place when I was in the game.  Every time the Vector Control would come by and spray for mosquitos I would loose a couple of hives.  (Maybe once a year for West Nile Virus.)  Bees are very sensitive to poisons.  Even when your neighbor sprays for bugs next door it can affect your hives.  If there aren't any queen cells going and they bring back some nectar or pollen that the queen samples then she's gone and there is no one to replace her.  Hive gets too weak to start things going again.

I hate poisons, did you ever see a picture where good intentioned Game and Fish guys would put out a poisoned deer carcass to kill off wild dogs or such and see the hundreds of other dead animals around it that have sampled it?  Just from spraying there are moths, butterflies, Sweat bees, Fruit bats, hummers, etc. that wind up dead because someone sprayed their tree or yard.  All are needed for pollination.  With the dwindling supply of bees they can't do it all.  Most of the small honey growers like me have gotten out of the business because of the Africanized Bee.  With people suing one another I couldn't stand the cost of defending myself in court every time a bee stung some ones dog or kid.  They came after me even after I had retired from bee keeping.  Every one is sue happy now-a-days.  

Old Tom  

• Sad 1

sic sic sic world full of sue happy idjets-John

It is true and being rural and owning over 5 acres most of my neighbors rent from me so no problems with the lawsuit crazy neighbor stuff so far. As far as Americanized bees goes we keep a close eye out for infiltration her and although we are willing to work "hot" hives we have a grade school near us and pets as well as neighbors. Beekeepers have now learned to ID the AHB by wing length as well as behavior which really helps and we can re-queen if  they are not a already established AHB hive which will usually kill a introduced queen.

https://www.apidologie.org/articles/apido/pdf/2008/05/m07145.pdf

• Like 1

Some interesting reading on pesticides and the Environmental Pollution Agency, , etc...

https://content.sierraclub.org/grassrootsnetwork/team-news/2016/11/court-fails-protect-bees-and-beekeepers-toxic-pesticides

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Court fails to Protect Bees and Beekeepers from Toxic Pesticides

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 | Comments (1)

Passing along this commentary by Graham White, a European beekeeper  - 
The California court case brought by beekeepers and the Center for Food Safety has been dismissed by the Judge. The issue at stake, was the EPA’s refusal to classify neonic-coated seeds as “treated items” rather than as “pesticides”

; i.e neonic coated seeds are not pesticides.
The EPA used a lawyer’s loophole, to classify neonic-coated seeds as “treated items” rather than as “pesticides”. The result is that the number one use of neonicotinoids across the entire United States - pesticide-coated seeds - is not classed as a “pesticide-use.” The result is that, on over 200 million acres of American crops:  maize, oilseed rape, wheat, soybeans, peas, beans, cotton, potatoes etc, every single seed  will continue to be coated with bee-killing neonicotinoids. The neonics on just one maize seed is enough to kill 80,000 bees. As a result of this Judge’s ruling, All of those billions of neonic-coated-seeds are no longer pesticides.
Riddle:    When is a pesticide-use NOT a pesticide-use?
Answer:  When the EPA  SAYS it isn’t a ‘pesticide-use’  

(This is in reference to the Anderson et al. v. McCarthy "coated seeds" case)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 22, 2016
Contact: Courtney Sexton; 202-547-9359, pr@centerforfoodsafety.org            

Court Fails to Protect Bees and Beekeepers from Toxic Pesticides

Pesticide-coated seeds remain unregulated by EPA as pollinator populations plummet

SAN FRANCISCO—Yesterday a judge in the Northern District of California delivered a crushing blow to the nation’s beekeepers and imperiled honey bees. The judge ruled against the beekeepers and public interest advocates in a lawsuit seeking to protect honey bees and the broader environment from unregulated harms caused by the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) lax policies for seeds coated with certain insecticides known to cause massive die-offs of honey bees.

“It is astounding that a judge, EPA or anyone with any common sense would not regulate this type of toxic pesticide use, especially when the seed-coatings are so broadly applied and there is so much at risk. Study after study has shown that seeds coated with these chemicals are a major culprit in catastrophic bee-kills. Now more than ever our country’s beekeepers, environment and food system deserve protection from agrichemical interests, and it is EPA’s job to deliver it,” said Andrew Kimbrell, Director of Center for Food Safety.

The seed-coatings in question are the bee-killing neonicotinoids, or “neonics”, which are strongly linked to the record-high colony mortality suffered by commercial beekeepers, as well as to water pollutionand risks to birds and other beneficial species. Corn and soybean seeds, in particular, coated with these chemicals are planted across nearly 150 million acres of the United States, in what is by far the most extensive type of insecticide application in the nation.

EPA has exempted the seeds from regulation or mandatory labeling, despite their known toxicity. This exemption was the basis of the lawsuit filed by Center for Food Safety (CFS) in the public interest and on behalf of several impacted beekeepers.

“The broader implications of this decision drive the nails in the bee industry’s coffin. Of course as a beekeeper I am concerned about my livelihood, but the public at large should also be alarmed. More than one-third of the average person’s diet is generated by pollinators that I help manage,” said Jeff Anderson, a California and Minnesota-based commercial beekeeper and honey producer, who was the lead plaintiff in the case.

The judge dismissed the case on an administrative procedure basis, not on the fundamental question of whether the exempted seeds are harming honey bees. In fact, the judge stated in his conclusion, “the Court is most sympathetic to the plight of our bee population and beekeepers. Perhaps the EPA should have done more to protect them, but such policy decisions are for the agency to make.”....( big snip)"

• Like 1
  • Irritated 1

Lecture by Graham White... beekeeper extraordinaire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb_0xFwCYx4

and on the subject of the " Whitehouse TaskFARCE on POllinators", a very detailed and highly informative  letter 

http://www.buzzaboutbees.net/open-letter-to-American-beekeepers.html

just a snippet,,,,,,,

Questions That Demand An Answer

1. Why have the American Beekeeping Federation and the American Honey Producers Association agreed to ignore the truth: that neonicotinoids and other pesticides are the primary cause of mass bee deaths?
  2. Why did they fail to raise any objection, when the Task Force declared that any discussion of the link between neonicotinoids and bee-deaths was simply ‘taboo’? Did they not understand what was at stake here?  Were they too naive or too timid, to object?
  3. Were they persuaded, or simply coerced, into betraying their own members interests?

These questions are largely academic; when they signed-off on this report, they surrendered the future of American Beekeeping into the tender care of: the EPA, the Pesticide Corporations and Croplife."

................................................................................

Center for Food Safety:

http://foodtank.com/news/2015/05/top-5-takeaways-from-the-white-house-pollinator-health-task-force-announcem

National Resources Defense Council: 

http://www.nrdc.org/media/2015/150520b.asp

Beyond Pesticides

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/dailynewsblog/?p=15701

Eco-Watch:

http://ecowatch.com/2015/05/20/problems-obama-plan-save-bees/

Pesticide Action Network North America:

http://www.panna.org/white-house-plan-bees-sidesteps-pesticide-problem

National Public Radio:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/20/408017267/pollinator-politics-environmentalists-criticize-obama-plan-to-save-bees

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 4

On 8/4/2017 at 11:39 AM, weaver hillbille said:

Don't light beeswax in your roof  on fire?  Pretty self-evident, I'd say except for DArwin CAndidates.

Cold ,SOapy water spray(well  after sundown), puts them to sleep for good..

...After exhausting all possible "keepers" that may want a load of honey and some workers, I must add.  Killing any hive is the last resort. 

I found this guy from just searching 'wanted'( for  bees) on Craigslist for sale section...

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

"Hi if you have honey bees or hive you don't want I love to have them. please email me .thanks"

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/wan/d/honey-bees/6250530327.html

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

Shasta County is the Queen bee capitol for producing them and lots of thieves and trouble all the time now. My local connection is about to go ballistic over insane events these past few years. GREAT organic honey though-John

• Like 2

Treated all 7 hives this morning with Oxalic Acid Vapor to keep these nasty Varroa Mites from weakening the hive so much other problems start and the colony dies. Like having something on you the size of a softball sucking your blood all day it would weaken us and bring death as well. They are called Varroa Distructor and rightfully so.....

We use a small heated wand that holds the powdered Oxalic acid and slide into hive opening, hook up to 12 volts and it heats to between 325 and 350 degrees F and it sublimes into a vapor that spreads throughout the hive killing the mites, but not the bees.

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 4
  • Irritated 1

Check this out......

• Sad 1

Oh the dreaded wax moth larva!  After loosing the bees to Vector Control the Wax Moth larvae would literarily eat the wooden hive up.  Only thing left to do is burn it if it's too far gone.  Try to keep used hives in storage if you want a challenge.  Chemicals only work half assed.  Hate those monsters.  

Old Tom  :grr01:

Darn Bees..... Figured I could get them fed without making any mad so no suit.... We are in a dearth and they are grumpy with no natural food sources easily available, came right at me and tagged the lower eye lid :stupidrb:

Image may contain: 1 person, beard and indoor

• Sad 2

AHHH!!!  :th_panic:

Now im gonna have nightmares tonight!
Tom H.

Damn, looks like you've been in bar fight!!!:Just_Cuz_15:

Is that one sting or several?

I guess they haven't heard of "don't bite (in this cas sting) the hand (or face) that feeds you"!!:nono:

• Haha 1

Just one sting, little Bi%#h

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Darn Bees..... Figured I could get them fed without making any mad so no suit.... We are in a dearth and they are grumpy with no natural food sources easily available, came right at me and tagged the lower eye lid :stupidrb:

Image may contain: 1 person, beard and indoor

Boy, now that reminds me of a time a number of years back when I was driving back from the Morencie mine after doing some sales business.  I stopped to take a leak behind this old rundown and dilapidated old building.  I no more than got my pants down and got a good flow going when something(s) began hitting me from all sides (they weren't stinging me, but where ramming me with their bodies like little kamakazies :ROFL: (spelling??)).  I had waited too long before I had stopped and couldn't get the flow to stop:grr01:, and about that same time I looked up and saw the (numerous) bees on the upper wall of the building next to a large opening.  So, here I am (expediently) yanking my pants up, wetting myself, and running back towards my pickup.  By now, they are no longer ramming me, they are litterly stinging the crap out of me.  I yank the pickup door open, get inside (all the while others are hitting the window,----very hard).  I thought that I was safe when two-three begin hitting me from within the pickup.  I am swatting and thrashing (insanely) with my ball cap when one slips by me and nails me right under my left eye (almost where your shiner is).  I managed to kill the other two, but ended up with about 5-stings on my body (arms, back of head, etc.) and by the time I got back to Tucson ( about an hour and half drive) my whole left eye was so swollen that it completely closed up, couldn't see out of it.  So, I was like a one-eyed-cyclops driving home.   I'm sure that there have been more than one of us (myself included) who have "surprisingly"  come up on a hive of killer bees in a rock crevice while out in the field,.....  And if not,  you might want to keep your eyes and ears open and move slowly as to not upset then in their environment:brows:  Gary    

• Haha 3

Bill don't over feed your girls.  They probably have sufficient in the hive unless you robbed them of too much the last time.  Don't touch the bottom super and they'll be fine.  Feed them at home and they won't go out and work for you.  Learned that from a dapper looking guy I met on the street once.  :nono:

Old Tom

It was a hard year here in the desert Tom and when inspecting last time (two weeks ago) they had very little honey left (stored) even in bottom deeps from lack of forage this year so we are feeding to help them along till the fall flow if we get one... You are correct about over feeding, but this has been a bad year in the desert and not enough  folks live around these parts to supply artificial forage in summer like in town. We only harvested from one of our feral hives this spring and then it was only one medium about half full above a full one (now empty as well)

Bill, I was talking to you about bringing a hive down last time we saw you and I am getting more serious about it now that I see that you are not getting enough product for your effort.  I can get you forty to sixty pounds in a few months at my place.  They even produce in the winter here.  I could put one in the barn and no one would know the difference.  I'll talk to you more about it if I get to your place before the outing.  I do want to see just what Dave is up to with his flying machine.  Just getting over surgery and I'll be beeping real soon up your way.  :shake2:

Old Tom 

• Like 4

Humans are killing ourselves and everything else as we overpopulate our planet and have to use chemicals for insects and weeds to be able to produce enough food. Or there will be a monster virus or worse one day that will easily ravage the human population because there are so many traveling and living in close proximity to each other. Or just a big senseless war simply because humans can't get along and respect each others differences or believe their religion requires it..... 

Honey from urban hives has shown larger than average amounts of pesticides and herbicides in honey as the bees gather from gardens and yards that are sprayed by the owners, often in very high dosages regardless of what the label warns. 

There will be a payment due one day for all this stupidity and chemical overuse and there are bugs other than bees that are very important to the environment being wiped out as well.... Sad.

• Like 5