Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

Bill's Bees.... Honeybees that is.

Discovery had a special on the world of bees and many other non native animals/plants/and much more. Interesting that they specifically stated that all tests have proven that Arizona only has Africanized bees left as invaded for many years. O sage of the honey kind what say ye??? Lots of info and also stated that bees are NOT indigenous to the Americas but imported with the relaxed European strain??? Makes no sense as how would plants pollinate like they do now bee style? John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoser John said:

Discovery had a special on the world of bees and many other non native animals/plants/and much more. Interesting that they specifically stated that all tests have proven that Arizona only has Africanized bees left as invaded for many years. O sage of the honey kind what say ye??? Lots of info and also stated that bees are NOT indigenous to the Americas but imported with the relaxed European strain??? Makes no sense as how would plants pollinate like they do now bee style? John

John, there are many different types of bees and also some types of wasps along with many other insects and not to mention wind, etc. that pollinate plants, and those critters and natural forces did all the pollinating before we got the honey bees added to the pollinating work force!

• Like 1

I know that BUT nothing to the magnitude of todays righteous bees as Bill has shown, grown and honey abounds. That special showed all types of invaders and that point of all AZ bees African peaked my interest...John

I also have a hard time believing that all of Az. honey bees are Africanized, it would surprised me if more than 50% to 75% are, I think we would hear about more attacks if it's anywhere close to those numbers!

I think by now it's more like 75% to 85% Africanized colonies in Arizona.  There are some clean swarms around as the bee keepers that try to run clean hives loose there old queens as they fly off to find a new hive.  Most queens on their maiden flight will get impregnated by a Africanized drone because they are more aggressive and will win out in mating.  Arizona bee keepers are learning to work with the Africanized strain and are accepting them more and more.  They produce more honey which is a boon to them and then they don't have to requeen every year.  I don't know what the bee keepers that rent their hives for pollination are running.  Putting Africanized on someone else's property might be a bit risky.  I think that the authorities are just blanketing it with a 100% statement so that every wild swarm is treated as a potential hazard. 

Old Tom    

• Like 1

On 1/30/2017 at 3:29 PM, Au Seeker said:

John, there are many different types of bees and also some types of wasps along with many other insects and not to mention wind, etc. that pollinate plants, and those critters and natural forces did all the pollinating before we got the honey bees added to the pollinating work force!

True---honey bees whether European or African are not native to the Americas.

They are a big pollenater now but many species of native bees have gone extinct because of them. The vanilla bean bee is an example. Now, all vanilla orchard must be hand pollenated.

• Like 2

this place beats google-simple straight forward answers and not 10,000,000 options-thanx much-John

• Like 1

We have 6 hives and 4 are feral and sweet as..... well honey. Here are 2 with me inches away filming them work.

• Like 6

I was out looking at some old prospects, and ran into some desert honey.  The bees were at the top of the diggings.  I did not hear them until I was 20 feet away.  I stuck around enough to get a picture and then split.

CAM00167.jpg

CAM00171.jpg

• Like 3

Ha I have been to that spot....

Hey Bill, I heard that you had trouble with a bad tempered hive.  Couldn't you just have squashed that mean Queen and replaced her with a domestic rather than scrap the hive.  Stick it on top of another active hive and let them maintain it for you.  Moths will get into it if you let it lay idle. 

Old Tom

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:42 AM, Bill Southern said:

Ha I have been to that spot....

Do you have thoughts what this was?  I believe it a mica operation.

I want you to know you missed a couple of pieces of trash in that wash.  Didn't leave me any gold.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Old Tom said:

Hey Bill, I heard that you had trouble with a bad tempered hive.  Couldn't you just have squashed that mean Queen and replaced her with a domestic rather than scrap the hive.  Stick it on top of another active hive and let them maintain it for you.  Moths will get into it if you let it lay idle. 

Old Tom

Hi Tom, I had considered that, but seems that AHB colonies will almost always kill an introduced queen.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, chrisski said:

Do you have thoughts what this was?  I believe it a mica operation.

I want you to know you missed a couple of pieces of trash in that wash.  Didn't leave me any gold.

Not sure what they were doing there and I didn't get gold in that area either.

I don't really, but the commercial beekeepers have been getting hit everywhere over the last couple years...

Bee rustling is big biz in northern cal. sic sic sic-John

Heard about it happening here too.  With all the issues of Bee's getting sick and dying healthy hives are Money.

Yep, the main issue is Varroa Mites and they weaken the hive allowing other issues and virus in.... We treat our hives with Oxalic Acid vapor to kill them a few times a year or as needed.

Does it Kill the Mites or just drive them down in numbers.  ? 

6 minutes ago, homefire said:

Does it Kill the Mites or just drive them down in numbers.  ? 

Kills them without harming the bees.......

I had to look the stuff up.  Sound like some handy stuff. 

• Like 1

LOL,  Ya looks like Bad Ju Ju for sure.   I used Tear Gas on time.  It worked.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2017 at 6:24 AM, homefire said:

.  With all the issues of Bee's getting sick and dying

THere'ld be many , many more bees ,   without  the drenching  of neonicotinoid  pesticides,  herbicide, fungicide on most things they want to pollinate.

They're being "sickened" by poisons.  At that point, it's much easier for their natural pathogenic enemies to take hold and overwhelm them.

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1