Nugget Shooter Forums
Bill Southern

Bill's Bees.... Honeybees that is.

OK guess this is where to put this and my newest venture is Honeybees.... We started with one hive from package bees we ordered and now have 5 active hives due to a swarm I got last week and several cutouts from people that had hives established on their property. Also sold one established hive to a feller from a cutout.

First thing everyone asks is about Africanized bees and I will just say they are not the threat the media would have you believe.

first any honeybee Africanized or not will go totally aggressive and sting an animal or human hundreds or even thousands of times and I guarantee if you go into my bee yard and beat one of my large hives with a stick you will think they are Africanized when they come out to deal with you.

Second, in many countries they only have this type be and always have. They have learned to work them in a slightly different manner as not to piss them off and they are good honey producers.

Third, Media hypes them up because a standard honeybee attack is not exciting enough, yes there have been some deaths of pets and some humans, but in most instances they were allergic to bee venom and the large dose from many bees was too much Africanized or not.

Just one of our large hives likely have over 60,000 bees in it right now and all are very mellow to work with, but the 4 feral bee hives no more aggressive than the store bought Italians bees in the other 2

Saving the world one bee at a time....

14080078_1151629408231230_2854704315485188734_n.jpg

13876505_1660832210904235_1409982928113917754_n.jpg

5-25-16 hive1e.jpg

5-25-16 hive c.jpg

• Like 4

Great project to get involved in Bill. Something to keep you busy if you retire. Plus a little extra income from the honey. Thats like liquid gold right now!

Your plants around the house will definitely get pollinated :)

Why are you blocking off part of the opening? I cant remember seeing dad do that? Is it because its a new hive?
Tom H.

• Like 1

Tom the entrances are reduced to help avoid robbing of the new weaker hives by the stronger hives as we get into dearth periods with little nectar available and when feeding (inside feeders). Gives the guard bees less area to have to defend so they can keep intruders out better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Tom the entrances are reduced to help avoid robbing of the new weaker hives by the stronger hives as we get into dearth periods with little nectar available and when feeding (inside feeders). Gives the guard bees less area to have to defend so they can keep intruders out better.

Speaking of "guard bees" , we had a swarm  settle in, one day, on a Pigeon Pea bush about waist high, in our garden.  

The guards were hitting me  from over 50 feet away. Just a little unsettling ,and no keeper would come get them, so they succumbed to  a cold  hose shower after sundown , followed by a soapy water spray.

I've been much closer to swarms before and never had guard bees be agressive at all... Maybe these were a bit "africanny":idunno:

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1

Nice set up Bill. It's good to see such clean hives once in a while, just wait until they start to wax things in and it takes a man and a boy to pry a frame out of that gumbo. May I suggest a little more table room for tools, smoker and clean supers to put loaded frames in before extraction. Don't set the supers on the ground as it attracts ants and fouls up the frames with junk. The bee glue (propolis) that you take out, pocket it and don't throw it on the ground,keep it as clean as you can around the hives. Like your ant traps. I was up there last week and thought about robbing your hives but then thought better about it and slacked off.  :D

Old Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Speaking of "guard bees" , we had a swarm  settle in, one day, on a Pigeon Pea bush about waist high, in our garden.  

The guards were hitting me  from over 50 feet away. Just a little unsettling ,and no keeper would come get them, so they succumbed to  a cold  hose shower after sundown , followed by a soapy water spray.

I've been much closer to swarms before and never had guard bees be agressive at all... Maybe these were a bit "africanny":idunno:

Yes that sort of aggression is odd for a swarm, hard to say as even some "store bought" bees are more aggressive than others. The only true way to tell is to send a couple in for genic testing, otherwise we are just guessing....

This was our first cut out back in May.... From Yarnell and some very friendly bees that so far have never tried to sting Tammy or I. They have really done well and now a large and very active colony.

yarnellrescue51516.jpg

• Like 2

Geez, hate to sounds like a, "me too",but I had to screen off our meter lid as  bees had formed a hive underneathe it  a couple years back.

This weekend I will be taking a bird house full of bees home

birdhouse removal10-11-16.JPG

and setting up a trap out on a block wall hive....

10-11-16 wall removal.JPG

To learn about a trap out watch this...

Also have another hive in a tree in Wickenburg to trap out and will be setting up this weekend as well.... Things are buzzing at Southern Desert Apiaries.

• Like 4

That is so cool, Bill...When can I buy some of your honey?  I only like to eat local honey because of the extra health benefits, plus store bought honey is general honey flavored corn syrup!

Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Hello all,

I originally posted this in the prospector's lounge and am moving it here so it won't bee missed.:)

I just wanted to post this link for Bill, and anyone else interested in Bee keeping technology.

http://www.jamesdysonaward.org/projects/bee2bee-pollination-monocultures-new-beekeeper/

Best of luck to you Bill. Every effort we put forth to help God's creatures is a step up on that stairway to heaven.:4chsmu1:

Yes. I'm a Led Zeppelin fan.:head:

• Like 2

On 10/14/2016 at 10:32 AM, Uncle Ron said:

That is so cool, Bill...When can I buy some of your honey?  I only like to eat local honey because of the extra health benefits, plus store bought honey is general honey flavored corn syrup!

Cheers, Unc

I heard that , too, lots  of honey from Mexico ( Mazatlan) at  the local swap meets. It's fairly inexpensive butttttttt...........  THe pollen tastes like the rear end of a feedlot( or alfalfa),bleech.  Also , the  labeling laws aren't the same,down there, and corn syrup with some flavoring can easily pass muster, as you mentioned.

Just got back from 12 mi NNW of uno and found that "Adolfo's Hardware"( across from Woody's gas in Aguila- south side of the hwy) has Eagle Eye HOney in quantity (well they did  until I stopped in) in case Bill is in between batches, but I'm sure he can spare some.

Uncle Bob,

Yes and its also mixed with Chinese honey.. because we have crappy label laws we don't know where the product originated from.

On 10/14/2016 at 10:32 AM, Uncle Ron said:

Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Very true, if we have a good spring flow we could have around 500 pounds or more to sell.... Also will likely have a couple Nucs and or full 10 frame deeps for sale as well.... Yes the Nucs and hives will come with a queen right active colony.....

• Like 1

Damn Bees, I got lazy knowing they are grumpy now with slim pickings in the desert and messed with a hive with no veil and no smoker....

The result you ask?

bestung.jpg

• Like 1

It only takes one around the eye man.  That is where the buggers are trained to go for from the beginning of time.  Bears have been their nemesis always and the only place they can be effective is at the eyes.  I feel for you Bill, been there, done that many times.  Eventually you will build up a tolerance to the venom in time and it won't be so bad.  I used to let them sting me on the arms and hands and it helped greatly with my arthritis.   (You still look funny Bro). 

Old Tom

Them bees aren't playing around, Bill you need to "bee" bringing them a bouquet of flowers this time of year to put them in a better mood from the lack of flowers in the desert!!

My uncle uses bee sting therapy, if you have arthritis place a few bees on the area and let them sting you. Keep the stinger in for a minute or two. Your arthritis will be gone for a while....repeat as necessary.  The thing is you have to have bees and not be allergic to them,.