Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

I hear ya Dave. I've been replacing some of my tools lately, now that I've got more spare time. Lets just say their not as precision as they used to be. Tolerances are getting a little bit loose, more on the side of guesstimation. I had to rebuild the handle in my jewelry torch too. new O rings etc.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

There is not a lot of new stuff to show yet. I'm concentrating on wing ribs still. The stack is slowly growing though! The  # 20 rib was glued up this morning.

:)

20180615_074151.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 2

Looks great Dave, lots of work. your gettin there.

AzNuggetBob

• Thanks 1

???   What does the wing weight when complete and skinned ?

23 minutes ago, homefire said:

???   What does the wing weight when complete and skinned ?

Average seems to be around 35 lbs each.

Dang.    I've seen kits that ran about that. 

Mine will be 5-6 lbs heavier than standard. I beefed up the spars a small amount and am adding flaps. The lower stall speed is worth the extra weight of the flaps to me.

Yep,   Any added control is a good thing.    How low is the Stall ?

• Like 1

25-28 is what most guys report. I'm hoping the combo of flaps and vortex generators will get me down closer to 15- 20. With any kind of headwind the actual ground speed could be much lower. Slow enough for me :)

Posted (edited)

My little Mirage would start going supper soft at about 20. Start to act drunk about 16. Flop at 13.     Not that good if the Temps were up.

Edited by homefire

4 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

25-28 is what most guys report. I'm hoping the combo of flaps and vortex generators will get me down closer to 15- 20. With any kind of headwind the actual ground speed could be much lower. Slow enough for me :)

Careful with the descent rate with vg's.  You can get pretty slow, but power off you drop like a rock. Had a pacer with vg's and tundra tires, was a pretty cool plane for landing at old mines in the desert. Also after installing vg's I was unable to get a power off stall to break, it appeared with the slower airspeeds with vg's I no longer had enough elevator authority to get the wing to completely stall. Kinda cool to see sub 20's on the airspeed but the vsi was pegged in a descent with the power off. 

• Like 1

I'm going to add some vg's to the underside of the horizontal stabilizer right in front of the elevators. It is supposed to really help keep the tail from stalling before the wing.

The other Eagle builders all report that it drops like a rock with power off and it's best to maintain some speed and fly it all the way to the ground with flare at the last possible second.

I bet that pacer was fun to scoot around in! Especially with big enough tires to land out here. :)

Yeah the pacer was pretty sweet. I also used to bounce a 172 all over the Mohave desert and up into Nevada. Lots of old air strips and dirt roads to land on out there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

Yeah the pacer was pretty sweet. I also used to bounce a 172 all over the Mohave desert and up into Nevada. Lots of old air strips and dirt roads to land on out there.

I've never been in a 172. The most common aircraft back home was the Super Cub. It seemed everybody had one. My uncle Chuck had a 180 on floats...I think that was the only Cessna I've ridden in.

What do you fly these days DP?

Floats I Tell Ya !  

• Like 2
  • wow 1

That is what it's all about! :thumbsupanim

:ya::ya::ya:

I just removed the final wing rib from the jig. Now to sand and apply finish to seal the wood.

:yesss:

20180625_151650.jpg

20180625_151655.jpg

• Like 1
  • well done 3

What happens to the leading edge ?

7 hours ago, homefire said:

What happens to the leading edge ?

Glue the nose ribs to the spar and wrap in 1/16" plywood.

I might use aluminum to wrap the leading edge...because I have aluminum. That 1/16" ply isn't terribly expensive, but the shipping is out of sight.

NOT MY PICTURE...stole it from another builder.

photo-778743.JPG.jpeg

I'm thinking the Aluminum would be a pile easier to work with then Ply Wood.  Ply Would likes to chigger up on the cuts.

• Like 1

You can cut that plywood with a knife or scissors. The gussets were made of the same stuff and I cut them with scissors.

The aluminum will work ok if I add a few foam nose ribs in there for support. After the rest of the wing is done, I'll add a nailing strip for the aluminum...so I'm not hammering nails into my spars :arrowheadsmiley:

Dave: What about this for the leading edge? Dont know if its thick enough?
Tom

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibraltar-Building-Products-14-in-x-25-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Valley-Flashing-RV1425A/202092848

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomH said:

Dave: What about this for the leading edge? Dont know if its thick enough?
Tom

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibraltar-Building-Products-14-in-x-25-ft-Aluminum-Roll-Valley-Flashing-RV1425A/202092848

It probably is ~ .01 " same as the roll I have. I think my roll is 20" wide...but probably the same stuff. Now I know where to get more!

The key to using it will be adequate support to prevent it "oil canning" between the ribs. From what I've read the plywood will do the same thing without some extra ribs in there. A few other builders have used pink or blue styrofoam for extra nose ribs with success. :)

• Like 1

With monsoon season upon us here in Arizona, working outside just isn't much fun. There are a few hours in the morning I can work on projects, but after that I lose interest fast.

I have gotten a couple side jobs cleared up and had time this morning to work on the plane.

I layed out and started cutting wood for the vertical stabilizer. :)

20180731_072623.jpg

Good Stuff.  Here it's the stupid wind.  Most of the Rain is a Northern Miss.