Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

On 5/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, ArcticDave said:

I finished the rib jig yesterday and got the stock fitted for the first rib this morning. I'm busy laying out and cutting gussets for the ribs today.

20180517_091009.jpg

20180517_091036.jpg

Love that Cam Lock Idea.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, homefire said:

Love that Cam Lock Idea.

Good ol broom handle :idea:

• Like 1
  • well done 1

It's only Money, Dave !  

• wow 1

44 minutes ago, homefire said:

It's only Money, Dave !  

:25r30wi:I love the Redbull gas tank, he was lucky the ad saying ddn't come true,,,"it gives you wings"!!! :th_panic:

• Haha 1

LOL, We submitted a claim on that deal  Receive three Checks for $2.00 each.   Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife forgot about them until about a week after they expired.  LOL 

I just held that latest creation and it is like a feather.... WOW and strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, homefire said:

LOL, We submitted a claim on that deal  Receive three Checks for $2.00 each.   Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife forgot about them until about a week after they expired.  LOL 

Dang it! 6 bucks is 6 bucks. Could have got a couple gallons of milk and a candy bar

10 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

I just held that latest creation and it is like a feather.... WOW and strong.

Thanks Bill. One day, when I'm skimming along the desert and enjoying the view from above...all this work will be worth it!

:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dave I gotta say, love your jigs. we use those eccentrics on sluice boxes with great success to hold down the expanded metal along the edges.

Can't wait to see your bird finished. :thumbsupanim

AzNuggetBob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Dave I gotta say, love your jigs. we use those eccentrics on sluice boxes with great success to hold down the expanded metal along the edges.

Can't wait to see your bird finished. :thumbsupanim

AzNuggetBob

Thanks Bob :)

So....what was the dacron story?  :pop:

• Thanks 1

Dave I was going to tell you about some prep work and painting I did on a couple rag wings years ago but I realized how much I couldn't remember about it, type of paint, chems we used etc. so I decided it wouldn't be of much help to write it. It was a temp job working with my brother at a place called Avart. I was only about 20 years old at the time. I will say its hard to wrap your head around a fabric covered airplane until you work on one. they are just amazingly light for their size.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

There is nothing quite like the smell of a new cover job. The certified glues and dopes are generally pretty foul. Bears sure love to tear up a freshly covered Super Cub though! I've heard that from several old Alaska bush pilots. It happened to my Uncle Gary. He was doing some scouting for the upcoming caribou season and had hiked away from his plane for a mile or so. When he got back, he ran off a small male brownie that was ransacking the Cub. It had torn a large gaping hole in the side and was eating the darn fabric!

Uncle Gary happened to have a case of duct tape in the back for whatever reason (bears are a good reason I guess) and proceeded to tape up the entire side of his Cub. It worked and got him back to civilization. He never lived that one down!

I saw an episode of Mythbusters where they duct taped a plane because of a bear attack, and I wondered if that idea came from Uncle Gary's experience...or if it happens often enough that several pilots have had to do that to get back out of the bush.

Dave
I've used duct tape to fix a lot of things to get me home (radiator hose) etc. but never an airplane. maybe you should carry a role of that 100 mph tape. :D
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agreed. Better safe than sorry....every plant species out here has sharp things on it :desertsmile:

Dave
I'll tell ya one of those planes we repainted was a 3/4 scale sport/stunt biplane. a real beauty. That's what they did at Avart, aircraft painting. I would have loved to have flown it.
I considered buying an ultralight for years. They are a great prospecting tool, but I think your plane is going to have a much better glide ratio and along with your high clearance should give you a lot more choices on where to land if your power plant happens to go south, and because your going with a high wing you shouldn't have too much problem with the brush punching holes in your wings and that's what matters most. you could fly that with a bare frame if you had too. although up in Alaska it might be a little on the chilly side.  just  :m2c:
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

I believe you're right, the high wing and longer gear legs will protect it somewhat from cactus and other thorny stuff.

I think it will be a good addition as a prospecting tool. It will fly low and slow enough, that I'll have a fighting chance of spotting mineralized patches. I can always mark potential spots with the gps and walk in later :hiker:

There are four private airstrips here in good ol' Morristown. When I'm closer to being finished, I'm going to knock on some doors and see if I can't strike up a deal to leave it parked at one of them. I'll have to make a set of covers to protect it from the Arizona sun...but that will be easier than transporting it everytime I want to fly. I wish we had room here at the Nuggetshooter compound for an airstrip. The elementary school right next door puts a damper on that though.

The sun is up finally, so time to go build the morning wing rib! I'm getting two a day done. I glue one up every morning in the jig, take it out in the evening and glue up another. Lather, rinse...repeat :D

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Dave Get out your pop corn. When you mentioned looking for a place to store and launch your plane it got me thinking. I don't know a lot of people out there in Morristown anymore with runways. been a long time, but  as far as a place to hanger your plane. I did know Wyman Shepherd. He is a great guy may be able to help you out. I helped build that huge white house with the palm trees and the small one behind it. he talked about building a runway for his Twin Air but I don't know if he ever did. but it may be another leed. I built a lot of RC planes when I was younger and we used to build the longer wing gliders with removable wings. two or three meter planes. I would think it would not be hard to attach your wings on aluminum rods and tubes. before you get to far along building the wings. That way you could (enclose) and trailer your plane. be great for trailering to other states too. I'm assuming your registering it as a home built ultra light. and that means not a very big fuel tank. Just thinking out loud.
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

Any lead would be appreciated. Mr Shepard may not have a place, but he might know someone who does :)

The wings are fairly easy to remove. I attached a pic swiped from another builder, that shows the fittings for bolting the wing to fuselage. There are two of those for each wing in addition to the two attachments on the wing struts. So, pull 4 bolts and unhook the aileron linkage...and the wing comes off. Not too terrible, but not something I want to do everytime I want to fly. I can see myself trying to bolt a wing on and a gust of wind ripping it right out of my hands! :yikes:

Mr. Homan has a pretty slick system for his Eagle. I was thinking of building something like his for traveling and sightseeing the country.

Fuel tank is 5 gallons, and if it were not for the big tires, it would be a legal part 103 ultralight. The tires will for sure push me over the weight 254lb weight limit. No registration is required if 103 compliant. I will end up having to register this one as an experimental homebuilt if I want to use the big tires.

u0lp79zzw27ybvcz2nyybesljrmmkqh4.jpeg

• Like 1

Slowly making progress on the wing ribs.

Also brought out the fuselage to begin prepaint blasting. I spot tested a small area, and the ground glass media does a pretty nice job. It cleans the tubing adequately and leaves a gentle tooth on the surface...the primer should stick very well.

20180527_055854.jpg

20180527_060319.jpg

• Like 5

LOL, Claim your Fat Tires as Floats and they don't count .  😁😈

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, homefire said:

LOL, Claim your Fat Tires as Floats and they don't count .  😁😈

If it touches the water first...technically that could be argued.  :idea:

• Like 2

On 5/29/2018 at 8:19 AM, ArcticDave said:

If it touches the water first...technically that could be argued.  :idea:

Looks fun Dave.   :thumbsupanim   :nutty:    AzNuggetBob

Posted (edited)

Well Dave how is it going. almost done with the paint?
Btw If you do decide to fly it bare frame, fuselage with no wind screen especially up in Alaska your going to need a pair of these.

Just messin with ya Dave,       :4chsmu1:  I'd love to be building a plane like yours.
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Haha 3

Those are cool :D

Bob, I doubt the little plane will ever make it to Alaska. I've lived here in Morristown for 3 years now. I'm not going anywhere soon.

It would sure be a blast up there though! I can think of several places I would love to overfly and get a birds eye view. Not to mention a few secret Arctic Grayling holes that would be easy to get into with it....🎣

• Like 1

Painting is on hold for the moment. I had a little welding left to finish and my oxygen regulator started leaking. Waiting on a rebuild kit for it. Always something...:grr01:

• Like 1