Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Thats a long drive! I'm going to have to drive all the way to Tuscon for mine. Only LSA oriented school is there. Closer to Phoenix is all general aviation or trikes. The GA stuff is 2-300/ hour:2mo5pow:

Surely you can do any ground school local or on line, Right ?

Yeah...thinking of buying the Gleim course. 100 bucks and they guarantee you will pass the FAA Knowledge Test or your money back. Seems to have good reviews.

• Like 1

How far is Tucson from you ?  My dad lives there.

HF

Edited by homefire

2 1/2 to 3 hours each way. Provided you don't try and drive through Phoenix at rush hours. 

We'll see how it goes. I'm concerned the cost to benefit ratio will get out of hand by going Light Sport with the dang thing. I may get more bang for the buck by installing the half vw and leaving it in the 103 class. It won't perform as well, but it would probably be less of a headache in the end. The whole reason for the consideration of the Light Sport option was that I want folding wings. We have an airstrip only 1.2 miles from here that I can use without cost, but I can't leave the plane there. That adds weight... 5 lbs maybe? That could be enough to take it above 254. FAA allows 278# IF the craft is equipped with a parachute, but the cost of a parachute...is almost enough to get my LSA ticket! 

Lol...I'll figure something out eventually.

Yea, you have other engine options as well. 

A rotax 447 would work, but they and their parts are getting hard to find since rotax quit making them. The only way to get a 2 stroke to work is with a redrive. Rotax had a decent gearbox, but the other two stroke conversions all rely on a belt redrive. A fellow can pick up a snowmachine engine back home for pretty cheap, however designing a belt redrive for one is probably beyond me. Maybe if I could get it to adapt to a rotax gearbox that would work. I have a feeling I would end up spending more than I will building a 1/2 vw. If I had scads of money this would be my choice for an engine. 

http://www.vernermotor.com/3VW.html#specifications

$6500 is more than I have unfortunately. I think I can put together a 1/2 vw for maybe 2k and a little change. Maybe less if I can find a good vw case for cheap. 

Edited by ArcticDave
Forgot something

My Mirage had a Cuyuna 430F reduction drive like 40 HP  and those are all but history now.  Sweet looking engine on that link.  You have a lot of time to figure this out.  Options are endless on conversions.  http://www.lightsportaircraftpilot.com/EAA_sun_n_fun_2005/21.html

Save up your Gold !  LOL  https://www.teammini-max.com/online-store/engines/

Mine looked  like this one only blue trim , My fuel tank was behind the seat and had small instrument cluster . This one looks like the seat has been moved back a foot or so..   Miss the thing.

mirage8a.jpg

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind riding in that thing as long as it didn't leave the ground. Old Tom

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Tom said:

I wouldn't mind riding in that thing as long as it didn't leave the ground. Old Tom

:ROFL:

You can sit in it Tom. We'll push you around the yard while you make airplane noises! :25r30wi:

• Like 3

Homefire...that looks like it was a lot of fun! 

That Scarlett 3vw would be the perfect engine. I love the sound of a barking four stroke with short stacks. 

LOL I learned to fly doing Crow Hops . You just get going down the road. Idea being to just get the front wheel off the ground learning to keep level and in control. Along came a gust of wind and I found my self 50ft up. Managed to get it turned around and land uneventfully. After that I didn't ever hesitate to get it off the ground again.

• Like 1

320269b4796ea2b14bf7e60398cd8937.jpg

• Like 4

Amazing how comfortable you get being 500ft off the ground after your first 10 flights.  On a windless day you could put along at 25MPH no issues.  Hell you could get hurt worst on a motorcycle.  Mine could touch down at 15MPH. 

• Like 1

I shooting for a less than 20 mph stall speed. So touchdowns should be nice and slow. Maybe not quite as slow as yours...but close! 

Got the engine mount station in place yesterday and bent the lower longerons up to it. I work on it a little bit every day, even if it's only for an hour or so :D

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/7/2016 at 6:51 AM, ArcticDave said:

From info I have, its legal to land and take off from BLM land without a permit, provided it is not for hire. For profit use requires a permit. State trust land is usable as well. Affix a ohv sticker somewhere in case you get stopped. 

Why is there not more? Good question...probably because of the testicular fortitude( or stupidity) required to strap yourself into something you built and go hurtling through space. The ground is hard...:arrowheadsmiley:

YEAH BOSS, THEY CALL IT, flyn by the seat of yer pants !!!!  intestinal fortitude !!

• Like 2

Cool stuff Dave...I thought ultra lights didn't require a lic.?  Experimental?

• Like 1

Stall on mine was 13MPH.   13 to 1 guide ration.   MiddleFork, Ultra light do not.   LSA require minimum.

• Like 1

After more thought and a realistic look at cash reserves(next to nothing) :25r30wi:I'm going to build to ultralight weight. Less goverment involvement is always preferable...and cheaper in the long run. :200:

• Like 1

Yep, Not much to have to Answer for.  Just do your thing in a sensible manner and be happy. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

After more thought and a realistic look at cash reserves(next to nothing) :25r30wi:I'm going to build to ultralight weight. Less goverment involvement is always preferable...and cheaper in the long run. :200:

So Dave what does that mean going for the lighter weight engine wise, a chain and pedals, a giant rubberban? :idunno:

Back when I was still working I'd tinkered with the idea of building one myself....I got to web surfing today and see they have a new class....microlite.  Where I'm living right now, I'd have the perfect spot for takeoffs and landings...

002_zpsftbovucd.jpg

Edited by middleforkminer2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

So Dave what does that mean going for the lighter weight engine wise, a chain and pedals, a giant rubberban? :idunno:

Half VW or equivalent two stroke Skip. I'm leaning towards the veedub. A more pleasing exhaust note and much cheaper parts. 

Middlefork...I liked the Northwing ATF. That looks to be a fun craft.

3 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

Half VW or equivalent two stroke Skip. I'm leaning towards the veedub. A more pleasing exhaust note and much cheaper parts. 

How much would a turbo weigh???  :yesss: