Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Dang man, sorry to see that :2mo5pow: Perhaps it would have failed later even if it went in now. Seen me some Harley Davidson grenades in my 40 plus year riding them. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd rather it not fail at a couple thousand feet. I wasn't real happy with the heads anyway...good excuse to put the proper head on it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dang that sucks. Sorry to see that. Hey Dave, does that engine manufacturer offer different thicknesses on head gaskets? Thats a cheep and effective way to drop the compression. We do it on our street engines we build and adding a thicker head gasket sure works pretty good. Good luck with the project. 

Yep, Dat chit happens.   Something suppose to just pop together and DHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE  

Soooo.   Are you looking for a complete set again or just one side ?

What year and Engine types would do the job ?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Dang that sucks. Sorry to see that. Hey Dave, does that engine manufacturer offer different thicknesses on head gaskets? Thats a cheep and effective way to drop the compression. We do it on our street engines we build and adding a thicker head gasket sure works pretty good. Good luck with the project. 

I could stack more head gasket under there to decrease the compression without so much carving, but my deck height was already .232! Way too tall, I had left any quench benefits in the dust. Using a bigger head will allow me to drop the deck height to the optimum .04". Having good quench will let me bump up the compression and the engine will be much more responsive and even run cooler. 

26 minutes ago, homefire said:

Yep, Dat chit happens.   Something suppose to just pop together and DHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE  

Soooo.   Are you looking for a complete set again or just one side ?

What year and Engine types would do the job ?

All I need is one. I can make both heads from one veedub head.

Saving up for a CB Panchitos 044. I can order the combustion chamber cnc milled to 68cc for an additional 30 bucks...saving me a buttload of time.

With the additional work to enlarge the chambers the Panchito head is $330 each.

http://www.cbperformance.com/Panchito-044-8482-Cylinder-Head-94-Bore-p/1673.htm

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 2

What Stock head could you work with ?

All the stroker kits for Harley's came with shorter pistons with whatever compression you wanted.

• Like 1

Heat the head in a oven and guides in a freezer and coat both with high temperature anti seize greese. Also use aluminum punches on the guides.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, wet/dry washer said:

Heat the head in a oven and guides in a freezer and coat both with high temperature anti seize greese. Also use aluminum punches on the guides.

Thats what I did Bob...and they still split. They are beyond my ability to repair at this point. There is new damage down inside the runners that I can't get at to weld. I'm pretty set on a new head at this point. As a matter of fact, I was so disgusted...I flung each one about 100' over into the scrap metal pile :ROFL:

Edited by ArcticDave

10 hours ago, homefire said:

What Stock head could you work with ?

There is no stock head that would work without a lot of work enlarging the chambers. I'm gonna just save my pennies and buy a good head already loaded. All I would have to do then is cut it in half and build up the rocker box walls. It will save me a lot of time. I've already started clearing the bench for other stuff. I have several things that need building and plenty to keep me busy. The fuselage needs finishing and painting before the monsoon hits. The tail and wings need to be built as well. I have almost all the materials to finish the rest of the plane.

• Like 3

Well, finally got around to working on the project again. I've started sawing all the wood capstrips I need for the wings and tailfeathers.

Had to make a close tolerance shoe for the table saw. The little 1/4" × 1/4" rib sticks fell through the gap otherwise.

Otherwise, it is going well so far. I've gotten all of the bigger pieces sawn and I'm around 1/3 of the way through the 1/4" rib stock.

I have managed to make a mountain of sawdust so far!

What happened to the cool smileys we had? I hit the button now and they just look like the ones on my phone???

20180515_165201.jpg

20180513_161811.jpg

20180515_165226.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

What happened to the cool smileys we had? I hit the button now and they just look like the ones on my phone???

:89: They're still here, use the scroll bar and scroll all the way down to the bottom for all the cool old ones!  :4chsmu1:

The latest forum update added all the new ones.

• Thanks 1

Guess I didn't scroll down far enough :party-smiley-027[1]:

Spruce ? I didn't realize your wings would be Wood. Some how in my head I had them as Aluminum Strut with Ribs.

1 hour ago, homefire said:

Spruce ? I didn't realize your wings would be Wood. Some how in my head I had them as Aluminum Strut with Ribs.

Yeppers. Plans say wood and after doing a bunch of research...wood seems to be the most appropriate.

Wood will flex indefinitely without fatigue. Important for an airplane spar! Aluminum spars will eventually reach the end of their service life and have to be replaced because of fatigue cracks. Even today, acrobatic aircraft(under high G loads) still use wood for the wing spars!

• Like 1

One of the Wing Spars on my Mirage    had been spliced Pipe over Pipe.   

You're still here, so they did a good job!

LOL Yea but every time I was going for a float I gave it a Rub and touchy touchy checking for bends and bulges.   It was on the leading edge Spare and under the Sail.   My guess is someone hit a tree with it. 

• Haha 1

Dave are you using Dacron on the wings if so I got a story you may like. AzNuggetBob

Uh oh...Yes I am. I have 30yards of 1.8 oz that I bought from Aircraft Spruce a few months ago.

I finished the rib jig yesterday and got the stock fitted for the first rib this morning. I'm busy laying out and cutting gussets for the ribs today.

20180517_091009.jpg

20180517_091036.jpg

• well done 1

Man just think of what a help James would be now.  👨‍🔧

Old Tom

3 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Man just think of what a help James would be now.  👨‍🔧

Old Tom

That bonehead turned tail and ran like a little girl back to Alaska, as soon as it got warm :25r30wi:

• Haha 2

This may not look like an impressive photo...but it is the culmination of 3 days of work. All of the rib gussets have been cut out of 1/32" aircraft plywood. Almost 1000 in total. I lost interest in counting after 900!
I think I gave myself carpal tunnel...

20180518_194945.jpg

• well done 1
  • wow 1

A rib a day...keeps the doctor away!

20180520_070506.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 1