Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

11 hours ago, homefire said:

I think he can just pop the wings off and park it in the living room.  Emmmmm ?

I briefly considered doing this! :25r30wi:

8 hours ago, chrisski said:

You've got an awesome build project thread.

For those suggesting Car Covers--I have a RV with an RV cover over it, and looking underneath it, not a lot of light is blocked.  Same thing with the tire covers.  A common complaint in reviews is the cover lets through light.  Also, my RV tarp at less than a year old has three different tears in it, again a common complaint especially with drains. I think an airplane would have plenty of sharp points.   Takes 40 minutes for me to put the cover on, not unreasonable.  To prep the corners I can take three or four of the floating pool noodles you buy at Walmart for fairly cheap and tape with blue masking tape each time I go out, but that adds another hour to putting the cover on.  My tire covers for the RV also let through plenty of light.

Just bring this up because recently sat on my canvas chair outside and went through the canvas, but was stopped by the ground.  The material was outside for about ten years.  I'd imagine the fabric on the airplane has UV hour rating with standards that require much more care than my lawn chair. 

Indeed it does require good care for any kind of longevity. My experience with covers has been the same as yours...mostly a pain in the butt. I was going to make the wings fold originally, so a small garage/hanger wouldn't be too out of line. Just roll it inside and protect it from all the uv rays.

Homefires ultralight was a type with straight dacron sails. I'm using dacron for fabric as well, but mine gets painted to fill the weave and provide UV protection for the dacron. Lifespan of the cover job will depend on the quality of the top coat and how well it blocks uv. Most guys building these have reported ~10 year lifespan of the covering. I know one fellow that got 14 years out of his last cover job...but he has a hanger to store the aircraft in.

• Like 1

Seriously,  Your wings are going to be Detachable, eaa? 

Indeed. Thats how they were designed. A 1/4" AN bolt at both spars is all that connects the wing root to the fuselage. The struts also pin with a 1/4 AN bolt on each end, for a total of 4 bolts that secure each wing. Doesn't take much time to remove 4 bolts :)

On 3/10/2018 at 5:12 AM, ArcticDave said:

I have it hanging on the wall now to keep it away from wagging Labrador tail :)

or worse yet ... The Lab deciding it's a big new chewy toy! 

• Haha 1

I'm glad Ruby has outgrown that! She was a terror in her younger years though...:ROFL:

• Like 1

Not sure if we have any furniture in the house without some kind of Dog Chew Marks any more  ?  :tisk-tisk:

12 hours ago, homefire said:

Not sure if we have any furniture in the house without some kind of Dog Chew Marks any more  ?  :tisk-tisk:

Ditto. 

Chew marks just give everything that "lived in" look :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Only thing I know is when I fly I need a craft big enough that I can get up walk to the bathroom, return to my seat and have an attendent bring me Bourbon over ice.  You guys who fly those little things, that high, are braver than I would ever be.  Be safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I finished the crankshaft assembly today. That prop hub was a PITA. It's a shrink fit and I heated it to 400° in the bbq...that wasn't enough. After preheating I used 2 torches, one on each side, to bring it up to 500°. That was enough and it finally slid into place with a few careful whacks with the deadblow.

Now that the crank work is done, I can button up the case.

20180312_172724.jpg

• Like 2

I gave you one of these reactions Irritated because you had to heat the hub so hot but it didn't look right for a job well done so I replaced with one of these  Like 

Jeez thats huge! :ROFL:

Yeah I thought was excessive too. It sure has a death grip on that crank though. I suppose thats what you want after all. That hub falling off could be the start of a real bad day :arrowheadsmiley:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

Jeez thats huge! :ROFL:

Yeah I thought was excessive too. It sure has a death grip on that crank though. I suppose thats what you want after all. That hub falling off could be the start of a real bad day :arrowheadsmiley:

I was going to give the reaction with the red frowning face only because it was the only red one, like in red hot, not because you having to heat it up so much it was irritating, I just  copied the image to post it and it got HUGE!!!! :ROFL:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Next time put the hub in an oven and shaft in the freezer. So much easier.

Edited by wet/dry washer
Spelling
  • Like 1

The case is buttoned up and torqued! The crank rotates freely with one finger.
 On to the cylinder heads next. I have some carving to do in order to bring the compression ratio down to a reasonable level. It's starting to look like an engine finally.:yesss:

20180316_110524.jpg

• Like 2

Eaaaaaaaa !   What happened to the Purdy Black Paint ?

What's with the Compression ?  Is that the Crank doing that ? 

The combustion chamber in those heads is sized for an engine with a cylinder volume of 820cc...I've increased the cylinder volume to 1138cc. That extra air has to have room or the heads will blow right off :yikes:

• Like 1

Did you Bore them out or is this because of the increased stroke ?

20 minutes ago, homefire said:

Did you Bore them out or is this because of the increased stroke ?

The stroke and the different pistons & cylinders.

Stock is 87 mm pistons and 69 mm stroke crank.

This little thumper has 94mm pistons and a 82mm stroke crankshaft. Quite a bit larger than stock.:brows:

What is the HP going to look like with just the two cylinders ?

Posted (edited)

Around 40ish hp...about 25% over stock.

Conservatively. It could be a little more...I did some stuff to it :200:

Edited by ArcticDave
added stuff
  • Like 1

Dave I haven't had time to read this whole thread. I'm assuming you had case savers installed on the head stud holes? they will double the pull out strength with stroked motors.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Dave I haven't had time to read this whole thread. I'm assuming you had case savers installed on the head stud holes? they will double the pull out strength with stroked motors.
AzNuggetBob

They were already in the used case when I bought it. They are the old school ones 1/2" x 13 thread on the outside. They are seated good and the interior threads were still in good shape, so I left them alone. :)

• Like 1

I thought I could see them thru the paint in your photo but I wasn't sure. :thumbsupanim AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Dang it double posted on me again? guess my trigger finger is getting itchy. :D

I thought I could see them thru the paint in your photo but I wasn't sure. :thumbsupanim AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Haha 1

Anyway good luck with your plane and your motor looks great so far. something else we always did when we were building vw's back in the 70's is get a high volume oil pump. well worth it.
gotta go.
AzNuggetBob

• Thanks 1