Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Recommended Posts

Yep would definitely be bad if that thing malfunctioned or pilot error!:yikes:

Also just 10 minutes of possible flight time makes it just a toy for most and an expense 10 minutes at that with the cost of jet fuel, but I do see a future for it in extreme sports competitions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep !  One of those things like a Yacht.  If you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it.  Looked like he runs like 8 of these Turbines. 

 

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-control/turbine-engines/jetcat.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is cool:WOW:

In spite of the drawbacks of that unit, it is an impressive achievement.

Wow! those little jet engines  aren't cheap! Way above my pay grade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove to California yesterday and picked up the fuselage steel.

 

IMAG0193.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang.   Not cheaper to have it Freighted ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. Truck freight due to length. Saved a lot by getting it myself. 

If I would have bought it all in Phoenix it would have cost over $2000 just for the steel. 

I bought every piece of 4130 from them and with gas to get there and back for $800. :yesss:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, Save every time you can.  Keep a BOM on everything.  Source and Dates.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, homefire said:

LOL, Save every time you can.  Keep a BOM on everything.  Source and Dates.

 

 

I am... it will be the only way I can afford it.

A couple of friends have expressed interest in building themselves. I'm pretty sure they are both going to wait and allow me the opportunity to be the guinea pig. 

 

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okey dokey...got my chit together and finally got my bench built and level. Started laying out some tubing and tacking a few spots. This is kind of fun, but fitting the clusters is time consuming. 

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One step at a time is getting you going just fine, Eaa ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is. I got a little further last night. Crosstubes in the seat area are coped and fit along with the diagnonal brace. 

It will go quickly now that it's going. Should have the fuselage shaped up within a week or so. Fully welding it out will take another week probably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How heavy is this thing going to be ? Not looking like it will make the 254lb Ultralight limits. https://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most Eagle fuselages have come in at about 33-35 lbs. So they do make the 103 weight limit. Thats provided the half VW is used. I'm still on the fence about that...using the entire engine would be cheaper. I'm probably going to build it as an LSA. That removes the 254 lb weight restriction and allows me to carry as much fuel as I can. If it's built as an LSA I can log hours in it too. I will be able to do my solo hour requirements in it that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WoW  Not that much required for LSA Ticket it seems.   Only obsticale for me would be funding for the flight instructor.  LOL  https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep the instructor hours are the biggest hurdle for me too. There is a place over here that specializes in Light Sport. It's $130/hr for aircraft and instructor. Thats cheaper than general aviation...but still a lot of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea  our rinky dink air port bought a single engine and was offering flight school a few years back.  They Crashed it and never got restarted that I know of. 

 

Edited by homefire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was $30 per hour for a C-152 in 1990 when I tried it......

Never thought it was fun flying as a pilot.  Reading a map, talking on a radio, doing calculations, and flying at the same time.  Not any fun for me at all.  Kind of like you're texting and driving the whole time.  Also all those moons ago, you only needed 40 hours to get certified, but the local club didn't tell me until ten hours into it, all their students got their checkride after 55 - 65 hours.  That bumped to cost up by 50%.  Got to my solo and with my less than minimum wage job and the fact flying wasn't fun for me, I quit.

I sure do enjoy flying as a passenger.  The smaller the plane the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I checked into it a hundred years ago it was like 12 hours ground school and 35 flight hours.   In the USAF I could had done it all for less the a hundred dollars via the Aero Club but I had no time to do it. 

Edited by homefire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

homefire--That's a good price.  The price I gave was for the USAF aero club 1990.  MWR took things over and some prices jumped a lot, especially the class 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, homefire said:

Yea  our rinky dink air port bought a single engine and was offering flight school a few years back.  They Crashed it and never got restarted that I know of. 

 

I wonder if somebody just pocketed the insurance payout and walked away.

15 hours ago, chrisski said:

Was $30 per hour for a C-152 in 1990 when I tried it......

Never thought it was fun flying as a pilot.  Reading a map, talking on a radio, doing calculations, and flying at the same time.  Not any fun for me at all.  Kind of like you're texting and driving the whole time.  Also all those moons ago, you only needed 40 hours to get certified, but the local club didn't tell me until ten hours into it, all their students got their checkride after 55 - 65 hours.  That bumped to cost up by 50%.  Got to my solo and with my less than minimum wage job and the fact flying wasn't fun for me, I quit.

I sure do enjoy flying as a passenger.  The smaller the plane the better. 

That would take the joy right out of it for sure. Low and slow VFR is the way to go for me. I have no interest in pursuing anything past my LSA ticket. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2017 at 5:10 PM, ArcticDave said:

Okey dokey...got my chit together and finally got my bench built and level. Started laying out some tubing and tacking a few spots. This is kind of fun, but fitting the clusters is time consuming. 

 It look like you are coping :brows: well with the task at hand. Nice fitment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the lower longerons bent to shape today. Tailpost is in place and tack welded along with upper tail longeron. 

IMAG0243.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2017 at 8:40 PM, homefire said:

When I checked into it a hundred years ago it was like 12 hours ground school and 35 flight hours.   In the USAF I could had done it all for less the a hundred dollars via the Aero Club but I had no time to do it. 

As good as that was Homie, I'm pretty sure going that route if still under the old GI Bill = $50.. Nice price for sure..!

Swamp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know any more.   Closest AFB to me is in Holloman Air Force Base.   100 some miles .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×