Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Yep would definitely be bad if that thing malfunctioned or pilot error!:yikes:

Also just 10 minutes of possible flight time makes it just a toy for most and an expense 10 minutes at that with the cost of jet fuel, but I do see a future for it in extreme sports competitions!

Yep !  One of those things like a Yacht.  If you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it.  Looked like he runs like 8 of these Turbines. 

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-control/turbine-engines/jetcat.html

That is cool:WOW:

In spite of the drawbacks of that unit, it is an impressive achievement.

Wow! those little jet engines  aren't cheap! Way above my pay grade.

• Like 2

Drove to California yesterday and picked up the fuselage steel.

IMAG0193.jpg

Dang.   Not cheaper to have it Freighted ?

Nope. Truck freight due to length. Saved a lot by getting it myself. 

If I would have bought it all in Phoenix it would have cost over $2000 just for the steel. 

I bought every piece of 4130 from them and with gas to get there and back for $800. :yesss:

• Like 2

LOL, Save every time you can.  Keep a BOM on everything.  Source and Dates.

4 hours ago, homefire said:

LOL, Save every time you can.  Keep a BOM on everything.  Source and Dates.

I am... it will be the only way I can afford it.

A couple of friends have expressed interest in building themselves. I'm pretty sure they are both going to wait and allow me the opportunity to be the guinea pig. 

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 1

Okey dokey...got my chit together and finally got my bench built and level. Started laying out some tubing and tacking a few spots. This is kind of fun, but fitting the clusters is time consuming. 

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

• Like 1

One step at a time is getting you going just fine, Eaa ?

• Like 1

Yes it is. I got a little further last night. Crosstubes in the seat area are coped and fit along with the diagnonal brace. 

It will go quickly now that it's going. Should have the fuselage shaped up within a week or so. Fully welding it out will take another week probably. 

How heavy is this thing going to be ? Not looking like it will make the 254lb Ultralight limits. https://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm

Most Eagle fuselages have come in at about 33-35 lbs. So they do make the 103 weight limit. Thats provided the half VW is used. I'm still on the fence about that...using the entire engine would be cheaper. I'm probably going to build it as an LSA. That removes the 254 lb weight restriction and allows me to carry as much fuel as I can. If it's built as an LSA I can log hours in it too. I will be able to do my solo hour requirements in it that way. 

WoW  Not that much required for LSA Ticket it seems.   Only obsticale for me would be funding for the flight instructor.  LOL  https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/frequently-asked-questions-about-sport-pilot

• Like 1

Yep the instructor hours are the biggest hurdle for me too. There is a place over here that specializes in Light Sport. It's $130/hr for aircraft and instructor. Thats cheaper than general aviation...but still a lot of money.

Yea  our rinky dink air port bought a single engine and was offering flight school a few years back.  They Crashed it and never got restarted that I know of. 

Edited by homefire

Was $30 per hour for a C-152 in 1990 when I tried it......

Never thought it was fun flying as a pilot.  Reading a map, talking on a radio, doing calculations, and flying at the same time.  Not any fun for me at all.  Kind of like you're texting and driving the whole time.  Also all those moons ago, you only needed 40 hours to get certified, but the local club didn't tell me until ten hours into it, all their students got their checkride after 55 - 65 hours.  That bumped to cost up by 50%.  Got to my solo and with my less than minimum wage job and the fact flying wasn't fun for me, I quit.

I sure do enjoy flying as a passenger.  The smaller the plane the better. 

When I checked into it a hundred years ago it was like 12 hours ground school and 35 flight hours.   In the USAF I could had done it all for less the a hundred dollars via the Aero Club but I had no time to do it. 

Edited by homefire

homefire--That's a good price.  The price I gave was for the USAF aero club 1990.  MWR took things over and some prices jumped a lot, especially the class 6.

19 hours ago, homefire said:

Yea  our rinky dink air port bought a single engine and was offering flight school a few years back.  They Crashed it and never got restarted that I know of. 

I wonder if somebody just pocketed the insurance payout and walked away.

15 hours ago, chrisski said:

Was $30 per hour for a C-152 in 1990 when I tried it......

Never thought it was fun flying as a pilot.  Reading a map, talking on a radio, doing calculations, and flying at the same time.  Not any fun for me at all.  Kind of like you're texting and driving the whole time.  Also all those moons ago, you only needed 40 hours to get certified, but the local club didn't tell me until ten hours into it, all their students got their checkride after 55 - 65 hours.  That bumped to cost up by 50%.  Got to my solo and with my less than minimum wage job and the fact flying wasn't fun for me, I quit.

I sure do enjoy flying as a passenger.  The smaller the plane the better. 

That would take the joy right out of it for sure. Low and slow VFR is the way to go for me. I have no interest in pursuing anything past my LSA ticket. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 5:10 PM, ArcticDave said:

Okey dokey...got my chit together and finally got my bench built and level. Started laying out some tubing and tacking a few spots. This is kind of fun, but fitting the clusters is time consuming. 

It look like you are coping :brows: well with the task at hand. Nice fitment.

• Like 1

Got the lower longerons bent to shape today. Tailpost is in place and tack welded along with upper tail longeron. 

IMAG0243.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 8:40 PM, homefire said:

When I checked into it a hundred years ago it was like 12 hours ground school and 35 flight hours.   In the USAF I could had done it all for less the a hundred dollars via the Aero Club but I had no time to do it. 

As good as that was Homie, I'm pretty sure going that route if still under the old GI Bill = $50.. Nice price for sure..!

Swamp

Don't know any more.   Closest AFB to me is in Holloman Air Force Base.   100 some miles .