Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

ArcticDave    743

The biggest single cost for a half vw is the crankshaft.  A stroker crank is desirable for the higher power output .  

Au Seeker    1,117

Using a stroker crank depending on which version you use you will have to do some minor to major work (removing material) on the engine case to provide clearance for the crank to rotate, but for the extra power it's worth the extra work, and hopefully you won't run into a "thin" casing and have to add material back to build the casing wall back up to a decent thickness. 

• Like 1

ArcticDave    743

You are absolutely right Skip.  There is no replacement for displacement!  The clearancing is not that hard to do and worth the extra ponies:)

homefire    1,543

Worming your way into the new job is going to Really help.   Sounds like they have Tool Toys that are going to come handy for sure.   You going to purchase or have someone do the Crank and Cam? 

ArcticDave    743

The new job didn't work out. Left last week for several reasons. 

I'm going to do everything I can myself. Some stuff I'll have to farm out.  Mainly just boring the spigot bores, decking the case and opening up the heads for bigger pistons. I think I can cut the heads myself.  I have plenty of spares to practice on!  I will have it dynamically balanced by someone with the tooling needed. 

homefire    1,543

Bummer on the Job thing.  Gotta do what a Man has to do.  Time.  Just going to take time.    Still Gathering Bits and Bobs for you Flight Package.  Doing a pile of Reading and tried out the programs for the Real Time Clock and Air Pressure Sensors.  Have them working interdependently but having issues getting the two to work within one program.  I'm missing something.  LOL I'll get it in the long run.

Waiting for the Hanteck O scope to come yesterday.  Tracking said it was in town.  Walked the 2 tenths mile through the Swamp to the box only to find it empty. Walked back through the SWAMP.  Got on the Computer and it said Notification In Mail Box. Package was too large for our over sized Mail Box.  Dang ! She came while I was Traversing the SWAMP .  Now it's 11:30 and the Mail Office closes at 12:00.   Chit gotta wait until Monday to go fetch the thing.  What ?  Your thinking They don't have Swamps in Southern New Mexico ?  We do from time to time.   It barely sprinkled here the night before but it would seem it rained most well up hill from us.  We took a flash Flooding over night.  This is what we woke up too.   Some of that water is two and three feet deep.  Hope it didn't cut the road up like it does some times.  I posted this yesterday.

Maybe I should get out the Gold Pan ?  :brows:

Drive3.jpg

Drive2.jpg

ArcticDave    743

Wow thats a lot of water! I think some waders or a canoe is in order!  

It can get that way here too where its flatter.  Its not real bad right here at Bill's because the ground has some slope thankfully.  Sure gets soft and nasty if it rains enough though.  Clog up your  tires nasty:tisk-tisk:

Edited by ArcticDave

ArcticDave    743

The engine case is cleaning up nicely:thumbsupanim

I soda blast the paint off first,  then apply a dilute phosphoric acid to small areas at a time and quickly wash it off with water.  A little scrubbing with a red scotchbrite pad is all it takes to get it looking new again. 

Soda blasting works well,  but it uses a LOT of soda. The last pic is a before and after. 

IMAG0399.jpg

IMAG0400.jpg

• Like 2

homefire    1,543

The  Resurrection   has begin !   :brows:

ArcticDave    743

Yes Sir!  

I can't afford any parts at the moment... but I can clean everything up and have it ready at least :)

Keeps me busy and out of trouble as well :brows: 

• Like 1

homefire    1,543

It'll happen when it's time.  :thumbsupanim

• Like 2

homefire    1,543

Had a Set back on your flight package !

Had a Death in the Family yesterday. My three month old Drowned in Rain Water ! IT'S ALL MY FAULT ! I inadvertently had left the front door open taking a nap. Thunder and Lightning woke me up. The Daily Monsoon storm caught me unguarded. The Wind and Rain blowing in the front room put me in momentary shock. Regaining my composure I seen catastrophe! darn, the little thing just laying there Drowned in rain water ! No Signs of Life ! Lifeless. I tried in vane to bring the life back. I shook it ! Smacked it on the back! Trying to Dislodge some of the Water in hopes it's hearth would start again. Every thing EVERY THING I DID was fruitless. I was Too Late !

FLIPPING  COMPUTER !

Edited by homefire
  • Sad 2

Au Seeker    1,117
3 hours ago, homefire said:

Had a Set back on your flight package !

Had a Death in the Family yesterday. My three month old Drowned in Rain Water ! IT'S ALL MY FAULT ! I inadvertently had left the front door open taking a nap. Thunder and Lightning woke me up. The Daily Monsoon storm caught me unguarded. The Wind and Rain blowing in the front room put me in momentary shock. Regaining my composure I seen catastrophe! darn, the little thing just laying there Drowned in rain water ! No Signs of Life ! Lifeless. I tried in vane to bring the life back. I shook it ! Smacked it on the back! Trying to Dislodge some of the Water in hopes it's hearth would start again. Every thing EVERY THING I DID was fruitless. I was Too Late !

FLIPPING  COMPUTER !

Put it in a 50lb bag of rice!

azdigger    340

Can use absorbent cat littler too

homefire    1,543
51 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Put it in a 50lb bag of rice!

It's dried out .  I think the BIOS Rom got toasted.   Comes up with report INSTALL OPERATING SYSTEM.  BIOS will not allow me in.  Non of  the three ways to it work.  How Sad, Eaa?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463/

Still under warranty.  Sending it up to ABQ and Back is a pile of change and way more time then I wish to deal with.  It will become a Organ Donor !   I can use the LCD screen, 2.5 SATA Drive and a few bits and bobs .  I should be able to recover everything on the SATA Drive .   Only a $275.00 computer but it did everything I needed.  Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife is going to pick up another one if they have them in stock at Wally World.  I'm using my ol Toshita Satelite until then.  Had most everything backed up on here but my last few months of activities.  This poor thing has had the LCD replaced Twice.  Key Board Twice.  The battery pack it dead.  Need to keep plugged in to work but Eaaa  It's alive.  I'll order a new battery some day.  If you guys ever need batteries New Egg is the place.   1/4th the price on OEM batteries, LCD Screens and Key Boards.   Cell Phone Batteries are like $4.00 for most types.  Battery for a Galaxy was $20.00 .  They wanted $60.00 here in town.

Being without a computer is not a Option for me these days. 

Error.PNG

Au Seeker    1,117
13 minutes ago, homefire said:

It's dried out .  I think the BIOS Rom got toasted.   Comes up with report INSTALL OPERATING SYSTEM.  BIOS will not allow me in.  Non of  the three ways to it work.  How Sad, Eaa?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463/

Still under warranty.  Sending it up to ABQ and Back is a pile of change and way more time then I wish to deal with.  It will become a Organ Donor !   I can use the LCD screen, 2.5 SATA Drive and a few bits and bobs .  I should be able to recover everything on the SATA Drive .   Only a $275.00 computer but it did everything I needed.  Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife is going to pick up another one if they have them in stock at Wally World.  I'm using my ol Toshita Satelite until then.  Had most everything backed up on here but my last few months of activities.  This poor thing has had the LCD replaced Twice.  Key Board Twice.  The battery pack it dead.  Need to keep plugged in to work but Eaaa  It's alive.  I'll order a new battery some day.  If you guys ever need batteries New Egg is the place.   1/4th the price on OEM batteries, LCD Screens and Key Boards.   Cell Phone Batteries are like $4.00 for most types.  Battery for a Galaxy was $20.00 .  They wanted $60.00 here in town.

Being without a computer is not a Option for me these days. 

Error.PNG

Well when Wanda gets back with another computer from Wally Wolrd, don't use it for a door stop to keep the door opened, you never know when another rain storm may wander by!!

• Haha 3

homefire    1,543

YOUR a Funny Man !  NOT !  LOL   Lesson learned.  HP Computers are NOT AQUATIC. 

• Haha 1

ArcticDave    743

Dang! That sucks :barnie:

Our monsoons are tapering off and we are starting to dry out over here. Had to get up and turn off the cooler last night because it was 59° in the house! 

I haven't had a battery on my old laptop for 3-4 years now, works great until the power goes off in the middle of something. :grr01: Can't afford to fix it...heck got a bad battery in the Jeep too. I have to put it on the charger just to go into town. I'm a leery of taking it offroad anymore without someone else around to give me a jump. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

I haven't had a battery on my old laptop for 3-4 years now,

Maybe that's a good thing.

My neighbor had his laptop( turned off )in  the trunk of his car... NOticed smoke from the trunk. Popped the trunk and instant fire( laptop batttery). TOtalled the car.

• Like 1

The laptop was buried under a bunch of clothes. Well insulated, but it was OFF( supposedly).

homefire    1,543

PM me the laptop brand, model number .   And  or Battery Number .  Or a good clear photo of the stickers on the battery.  

ArcticDave    743

Its a 10 y.o. Dell w/windows 7

Battery type: J1KND

11.1 V

48 Wh

I'm surprised I still have it! I tossed it in the junk drawer a couple years ago...and it was still there :ROFL:

I popped the cover off the battery one day out of curiosity and it's stuffed with 6  18650 lithium cells all connected together. 

homefire    1,543

Don't chuck out the 18650's  ...    Useful for tons of stuff.  I have them laying all over the place.  Even use them for my  Whites GMT. 

If they still show at lease 1.5v each they should still charge up to the 3.7 and be usable.  Usually one will go tits up in the pack and render the pack dead. Separated they work fine.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6G74UJ3105&cm_re=J1KND_battery-_-9SIA6G74UJ3105-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA28U1GH0376&cm_re=J1KND_battery-_-9SIA28U1GH0376-_-Product

Some Free Shipping. Some NOT.   Never had issues buy batteries from these folks.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=J1KND+++battery&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Edited by homefire
  • Thanks 1

ArcticDave    743

I didn't know you could get them that cheap! :thumbsupanim

I checked somewhere when it first died and a replacement was $75 ish. I threw it in the drawer at that point.