Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

10 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

painted flat black

Of course! The entire top of the dash panel will be black for the same reason. Glare sucks! :)

I started on the axles this morning. I received two 10x6 aluminum wheels, spindles, and hubs with rotors attached from my neighbor for absurdly cheap. I decided to use them because it would allow me to run a 22x10 front sand tire!  Sand tires are very lightweight and more appropriately weight rated than the aircraft tires I was considering. Sand tires save several pounds over the LSA aircraft tires too!
I whacked off the ball joint attachments and will take them into the shop tomorrow and backdrill the spindles for the 5/8 stub that will fit my landing legs. 
Using these sport quad parts will save a lot of money. Parts are cheap and abundant...perfect for flying on the cheap :yesss:

IMAG0376.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

• Like 2

I was able to use the lathe at the shop and backdrill the spindles Monday for the 5/8" stub. Mocked everything up to see how it all fit yesterday...very happy with it so far. I still need to drill out for (2) AN-3 retaining bolts on each side. Waiting till I can round up a set of brake calipers, so I index the spindle correctly. 
No shoes yet...but at least the feet are there :)

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

• Like 2

Progress !   Me not so much.  Waiting for Parts from China.  LOL

skeleton-at-desk.jpg

• Like 4

Eaa, Went out to the mail box and the Altimeter Sensor shown up.  Guess I can play with it waiting for the other stuff.

Description:

Bosch has stepped up their game with their new BMP280 sensor, an environmental sensor with temperature,
barometric pressure that is the next generation upgrade to the BMP085/BMP180/BMP183. This sensor is great
for all sorts of weather sensing and can even be used in both I2C and SPI!
This precision sensor from Bosch is the best low-cost, precision sensing solution for measuring barometric pressure
with ±1 hPa absolute accuracy, and temperature with ±1.0°C accuracy. Because pressure changes with altitude,
and the pressure measurements are so good, you can also use it as an altimeter with ±1 meter accuracy

Feature:

Model: GY-BMP280-3.3
Chip: BMP280
Power supply: 3V
Communication method: Standard IIC/SPI communication protocol
Air pressure range: 300-1100hPa
Pin pitch: 2.54mm
Module size: 11.5mm*15mm

Typical application:

Enhancement of GPS navigation(e.g.time-to-first-fix improvement,dead-reckoning,slope detection)
Indoor navigation(floor detection,elevator detection)
Outdoor navigation,leisure and sports applications
Weather forecast
Health care application(e.g. sirometry)
Vertical velocity indication(e.g. risk/sink speed)

Package Included:

1 x GY-BMP280-3.3 High Precision Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Module

BMP280 3.3a.rtf

BMP280 3.3a.PNG

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

Yea, Looks like that's how it going to be.  The Arduino Mega (Brain) and two more bits are almost here.  LOL

Tracking Number: LW458137860CN

In-Transit

Expected Delivery Day: Saturday, July 8, 2017

• Like 1

Meet Your Brain.

Description:

This is Arduino compatible R3 Mega2560 ATmega2560-16AU control board with USB cable
Arduino Mega is an ATmega2560 as core microcontroller development board itself has 54 groups digital I / O input / output terminal (14 groups do PWM outputs), 16 sets of simulation than the input side, group 4 UARTs (hardware serial ports), using the 16 MHz crystal oscillator. With the bootloader, download the program directly via USB without having to go through other external writer. Supply part of the optional USB power, or as an external power using the AC-to-DC adapter and battery.
Rapid growth due to open the original code, as well as the concept of using Java (cross-platform) C language development environment for Arduino peripheral module. The main reason attracted Artist Arduino can quickly use the Arduino language with Flash or Processing ... software communication, to make multimedia interactive works. Arduino development IDE interface is based on open-source principles, allows you to free download for use in project work, school teaching, motor control, interactive works.
Power supply design
There are two options for the power supply system of the Arduino Mega USB direct power supply or external power supply. The choice of power supply will be switched automatically. External supply AC-to-DC adapter or the battery can be selected on this control panel. Limit the voltage range of 6V ~~ 12V, but if the voltage supplied is less than 6V, I / O port may not be supplied to a voltage of 5V, and therefore instability; If the voltage is greater than 12V, the regulator device may possibly overheating protection, are more likely to damage the Arduino MEGA. Therefore recommended operating supply 6.5 ~ 12V, the recommended power supply to 7.5V or 9V.
The development board have been rigorously tested each product at the factory before to burn a Blink small program, please get the goods energized inspection under the L lamp will be lit for 3 seconds and then off for 1 second, non-stop cycle to Detection of the board is good or bad.
Its chip is Arduino original.

Specification:

Microcontroller: ATmega2560
Operating voltage: 5V
Input voltage (recommended): 7-12V
Input voltage (limits): 6-20V
Digital I / O pins: 54 (of which 14 provide PWM output)
Analog input pins: 16
DC current per I / O pin: 40 mA
DC current for 3.3V Pin: 50 mA
Flash Memory: 256 KB of which 4 KB used by bootloader
SRAM: 8 KB
EEPROM: 4 KB
Clock Speed: 16MHz

Package included:

1 x MEGA 2560 R3 development board
1 x USB cable

MMega1.PNG

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

I only understood the part of that description about the power supply. The other bits might as well have been in Greek!:25r30wi:

I'm glad you know what you're doing Homey. I'd be lost....:89:

Edited by ArcticDave

"" I'm glad you know what you're doing Homey. I'd be lost....:89: ""   

We could  have issues with that bit!  I don't know a whole lot more then You Do !  LOL  Like the saying goes,  " I Know about enough to be Dangerous !"  :ROFL:

This is definitely a learning experience for me.  I figure the worst thing that could happen is if I invert the Artificial Horizon and watch you fly funny ? :evil1:

Or what ever I can come with will be more then you had before.  :brows:

• Like 1

Early Delivery.

** Parts Received:

Arduino Mega 2560

BMP 280 Pressure Sensor
Real Time Clock
3.3v / 5v logic converters
Encoder/Switch

Order the LCD and BNO 0055 Absolute Orientation Sensor and things can happen.  Until then I play with the Program.

Mega1.PNG

BiDirrectional3.3.-5vdcConverter.PNG

BMP280 3.3a.PNG

RealTimeClock.PNG

RealTimeClockBack.PNG

RotoryEncoder.PNG

• Like 2

Homey said," early delivery..."

Are you going in to the  Ultralight Avionics biz after this prototype? :pop:It seems like a natural progression.

• Like 3

Well Dang everyone. just finished reading the entire thread.  Dave, it is coming along very well. One comment, if you have the means($$$) to use a magneto do it, It would be far superior to a distributor, especially for prop starting. Not to mention reliability issues.  Personally I would never ever want to depend on a battery to keep the motor running.

I'll be here a bunch more to see the progress......and of course throw in my 2cents

• Like 3

17 hours ago, El Dorado said:

...I'll be here a bunch more to see the progress......and of course throw in my 2cents

'bout time.. The project was nearly stalled... :rolleyes::th:

Swamp :4chsmu1:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dang, look what the cat dragged in !  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, El Dorado said:

Well Dang everyone. just finished reading the entire thread.  Dave, it is coming along very well. One comment, if you have the means($$$) to use a magneto do it, It would be far superior to a distributor, especially for prop starting. Not to mention reliability issues.  Personally I would never ever want to depend on a battery to keep the motor running.

I'll be here a bunch more to see the progress......and of course throw in my 2cents

Glad you're here El D! :thumbsupanim We've missed you around these parts:cowboypistol:

I will definitely give the magneto some thought. It will depend on funds at the time, but since I'm working part time now...it may not be as much of an issue as before. :fl:

Edited by ArcticDave

Part time? Cool he took the deal.... When ya got it ya got it :thumbsupanim

2 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Part time? Cool he took the deal.... When ya got it ya got it :thumbsupanim

The guy has Skills for Sure, Eaa?

• Like 1

Yep 3 days a week! 

Any more than that puts me in a higher tax bracket...and thats just all bad. 

Preliminary calculations point to an extra 2k in my pocket over the course of a year, and working 832 hours less!  I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do with 832 hours than bust my hump for the privilege giving it ALL to Uncle Sam. :nutty:

Vehicle expenses are reduced by over 40% too. Just a win win for me.

Let's see how long the boss and I can tolerate each other...:Just_Cuz_15:

• Like 3

Dave, how did your hanger fare with the wind?  I hear that it got pretty bad with Bill's patio and stuff blowing off. 

Old Tom

3 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Dave, how did your hanger fare with the wind?  I hear that it got pretty bad with Bill's patio and stuff blowing off. 

Old Tom

It lived, but not without some battle damage. I'll repair the damage with my handy roll of gorilla tape. I've seen many a monsoon storm roll through, but yesterday's was a whopper! Wind gusts approaching 70 mph 

It picked up the airplane and tossed it over like a rag doll. As far as I can tell, nothing is bent or damaged thankfully. 

A huge cell from the rim country split in two to go around us. The pressure wave was massive...with us stuck in the middle! 

• Like 3