Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

ArcticDave's Legal Eagle XL

Could the pulleys be painted with some kind of UV reflective paint?

Maybe you could knit some covers for the pulleys when you have it parked?   :4chsmu1:

Luke

Any history of "single shear" failures with the design of the rudderpedal mounting or other control systems?  Probably with only Bigfoot as pilot, though...

1 hour ago, LukeJ said:

Could the pulleys be painted with some kind of UV reflective paint?

Maybe you could knit some covers for the pulleys when you have it parked?   :4chsmu1:

Luke

:th_coffeescreen:

Knit some covers.... :25r30wi:

Uv exposure will be relatively minimal all things considered. I have covered parking for it here at the casita. Only exposure will be during use...hopefully uv will be a non issue. 

1 hour ago, weaver hillbille said:

Any history of "single shear" failures with the design of the rudderpedal mounting or other control systems?  Probably with only Bigfoot as pilot, though...

No failure reports at all. The Eagles have a reputation as a very sturdy little aircraft. The main issue that arises is damaged landing legs due to pilot error. I've strengthened my gear in anticipation of newbie screw ups :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArcticDave said:

:th_coffeescreen:

Knit some covers.... :25r30wi:

I thought you'd like that !!

:D

• Like 1

I think you need to improve your test setup to add the rotational wear factor under tension.

• Like 1

Skip I agree a rotational element would add validity to the test, I just dont know how to go about making that happen on the cheap. 

This page: http://www.randmachineco.com/materials.htm shows the different materials available through that company and a little info on each. It was what I based my initial decision to try the sheet of hdpe I already had. Appears to gave an operating range of up to 160° that should be enough. There are more expensive options with higher heat ratings. Aircraft Spruce sells nylon pulleys for homebuilts, and nylon appears to be inferior to hdpe in this application.

We'll see I guess. 

if you have an old windshield wiper motor you should be able to rig the bucket to go up and down on the pulley to some degree.

This bucket is heavy. I think a wiper motor would need some gearing to avoid stalling it out. That is the motion needed though. :)

Old starter motor with an offset arm welded on?

That might be to fast a motor though unless you can use 6 volts maybe?

I can't see UV penetrating much into the HDPE.    Surface chalking would act as the sacrificial "skin".

Some  "pulleys" could always be fashioned out of some small washers captured by some large washers on either side.  But I think it's sweating the nigglies.

And  you can get UVrated  Clear "spar varnish" in rattle or quart can.

It could be ued to seal the splinters in the wood wing parts, after sanding and before skinning, if necessary

• Like 1

Bottom line is you need to be checking things don't be getting the crunches but your going to be doing that any ways.  

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

The article Skip linked for me lists hdpe as fair in uv resistance. 

For a comparison I used some the same sheet stock for wear pads on the tire carrier I built for the Jeep. It sits in the sun all day every day. No uv damage to the exposed sections and it's been installed on the Jeep for about 1 1/2 years. There is some very slight abrasion on the wear surface...but that is expected. A pulley does have a limited life span, but I'm beginning to think a good pre-flight inspection will find any weakness long before it fails :fl:

• Like 3

Planes this light are the Parachute !  Unless the Wings come off.  Heee Hee !

• Like 4

20 hours ago, DIAMONDBACKDAVE said:

No offense.   U are Crazy 

No offense taken...perhaps a book of crochet patterns would be more your speed? :evil1:  No offense...:brows:

There is no advancement of knowledge without risk. Follow your dreams always...to do less is a disservice to yourself. Otherwise we would still live in caves and believe the earth is flat.

• Like 4

People take Risks every day.  Just driving a car to work is more then a minor risk.  But we do it.  Every time you walk out your door your risking never coming back.  But we do it. Some Risk are Acceptable.  Others not so much.  What's the Risk in driving out in the desert to do your prospecting and never making it home ?  More then people want to think about !  But we do it.  I could never understand people risking climbing up a shier rock cliff hundreds of feet without a rope.  In my book that's a unacceptable risk. STUPID in fact.  But they do it.

As far as I know you only live once.  Live It. 

• Like 1

Parachutes do not work so well under a few thousand feet.  Why Apologise ?  Your level of perceived danger is just different.  My bet is you do some things I would never do because of the same.  LOL  We all have our limits, Eaaa?

7 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

No offense taken...perhaps a book of crochet patterns would be more your speed?

Ur crazy!. There's  big needles:tisk-tisk: 

Sudoku is much  safer:brows:

Origami is always a option if you can get past the paper cuts bit !  

:25r30wi::25r30wi::25r30wi:

You guys crack me up. 

Good news! My HDPE pulleys have passed the test. Not the slightest bit of deformation in the pulley material...in spite of several days in some fairly warm weather. 115° to be exact. 

The test rig now some wood strips loaded into it for glue creep tests. I will leave those in over the summer to see how humidity and heat affects the glue. 

Got a set of front axles, hubs, rotors and wheels from a yamaha sport quad for 40 bucks the other day. Lightweight stuff. I will be able to run 22" sand smoothies as a "tundra" tire. I'm working on adapting the spindle to the landing leg. This is a much stronger setup with tapered roller bearings and it has the provision for off the shelf brakes. Parts will be substantially cheaper this way too...along with less weight. I'll post a pic when I get the details ironed out. 

• Like 1

INNOVATION!  :ROFL:  You know Floats don't count on your weight limits, right ?