Nugget Shooter Forums
Jayray

Holbrook this past weekend still producing...

Howdy All,

Long time no post right? Well I've been here and there and mostly there for the past few years, getting on every once and a while. I finally got a chance to hit up Holbrook, AZ. this past weekend and got a day hunting down there.  Pickings was slim and covered some ground, but probably not the right area where all the big ones are...Here are my finds for the day of hunting. The weather was hot, average 105F, the wind was steady, with partly cloudy skies.  Overall, the area has had some rainfall, with lots of movement of dirt and uplift of that same dirt/sand, silt type of ground. I found three pieces on the north side, and two pieces on the south side.  Also, met the owner of the lands down there and had a nice chat with him about the area and hunting meteorites in the area. I haven't weighed the pieces as I consider them "crumbs", lol. Happy hunting.

Jason

IMG_9207.JPG

IMG_9209.JPG

IMG_9210.JPG

IMG_9211.JPG

IMG_9212.JPG

IMG_9214.JPG

IMG_9216.JPG

• Like 4

Nice 'crumbs', sez I.. :yesss:

Swamp

Good work man, that's some hot and sunny conditions. I love Holbrook, its' where i found my first meteorite when living in Flagstaff. My family owns some land right there, you know one of those empty lots to the north. Well some day maybe retire out there, but for know really having too much fun up here in Reno.Oh yea those are some crumbs that could choke a man, cool finds!:yesss:

SS AL, I'm sure there are a few big ones still out there, but they are probably under some cow patties. LOL.

Fred, thanks. The shadow play kept me guessing a few times, with the small roots and darn bunny turds.  That's why you lick them to make sure they are meteorites, just like John B always says.. :brows:

HTH, lots of open land for sure and very peaceful out there.

Good hunting.

We stopped by there on Saturday afternoon on the north side for about 2 hours and picked up some wood.  Didn't have a magnet.

I had to drive from there to Kanab to get into the lottery for The Wave.  If I had it to do over again I would have spent the night in Holbrook.

Mitchel

Nice finds.  Do you find these by eye or use a detector?

Andyy,

No detector, only specking. Detectors really don't work out there because the ground minerals and also the RR materials as well, not to mention that Holbrook is an LL6 type specification meteorite.   

• Like 1

Jason, good finds... you always have had a good eye for finding meteorites... see you in the field sometime.

Dave

Nice ones, Jason.  Those aren't crumbs, those are typical Holbrook finds, looks like you even got yourself a little individual.  Hopefully there's a few out there still!

Mike,

I'm sure there still are some out there. It wasn't too bad a hunt until the heat kicked in. Typically I tend to stay to the north but this time hunted the south and found the whole stone there.  I was more cautious about snakes since I was dressed for the pool and not really hunting, so I'm pretty sure I may have missed some.  I also stayed out of the grass to the north, so that's probably where they were all hidden as well. 

Jason

Way cool.  I've had a lot of luck on the south, but my best find there was on the north side from last year.  I actually fell asleep in my truck with the AC going at lunch, woke up 3 hours later, then found this beauty by dumb luck.

2015Holbrook-012.JPG

2015Holbrook-013.JPG

2015Holbrook-014.JPG

All I hope for is there's at least one left out there with my name on it. :thumbsupanim

• Like 4

It's a toyota, built to idle for like 24 hours straight hehe, didn't use too much gas. :D

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 2

Mike, that's nice looking stone! :ROFL: I really wanted to find a nice sized one, but I'm happy with crumbs too. :tisk-tisk:

Hey Jason, 

Good eye! Hope to see you at Franconia or Gold Basin when it gets 

a little cooler.  

Ben

Well I ended up staying in Kingman the whole weekend with a friend, hopefully I'll get them all out to Holbrook next year. :4chsmu1: