Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swampstomper Al

Is J-B Weld PlasticWeld ok for a minor coil seam repair..?

Why do you insist on making it hard to do? Just use the PC-7, wet your finger while its harding, and shape it and smooth it, it will last forever. Grubstake

2 hours ago, grubstake said:

Why do you insist on making it hard to do? Just use the PC-7, wet your finger while its harding, and shape it and smooth it, it will last forever. Grubstake

Huh..? What..?? Waa.. Waaaa.. Waaaah..
See Mom -- I told you Grubstake hates me..! Why'd you make me get a metal detector anyhow..? I hate it..! You said I'd have fun with it, but I HATE it..! And I hate you too..! All I wanted to do was play around in the stock market shorting gold mining companies and certificates of ownership, but nooooo.. You said I wouldn't learn the true value of hard work and making an honest dollar that way, so you made me get a stupid metal detector instead . Going out and finding my own wild gold is the only way to truly appreciate pride of profit and ownership, you said.. But did you bother to stop to remember we live in Floriduh..? Nuh-uh.. So where should I detect for raw gold down here anyhow, Mom..? Do you think I'd do better beepin' in jewelry stores or pawn shops..?

Mr. Grubstake, sir -- I do not know who dipped your ponytail in the ink well, but I assure you I am not the one.. I have no idea idea who or what you're actually upset with / at, but I've already stated PC-7 is one of the two ways this repair will be executed.. That's a pretty fair leap of faith considering it's a product I know nothing about and have never used before, wouldn't you say..?

With that having been said, even though I opened this thread in search of repair product suggestions, yours is not the only viable solution.. Several have been presented, all of which have their merits.. My most recent post has nothing to do with insisting something be made harder to do than need be; it is a post about a product I know about that I believe would give the best possible repair result, a post similar in nature to all the other products suggested.. Unfortunately this product isn't easy to come across in small quantity, nor would it be inexpensive if one did happen upon some.. Of all the products mentioned in this thread, PC-7 sounds to be the closest in similarity to the product I believe would produce the best overall result -- which at this moment is why I plan on using it..

However, simply because I've already made my choice does not supercede the gist of this thread, which is: What product to use and why..?

These boards are all about the sharing of information, which is something that's recently been established not enough of takes place, for good reasons in many categories considering the subject matter.. Fortunately this isn't one of those, so I say let the information flow..

What bothers ME though is why you seem to be having a problem taking yes for an answer while at the same time seemingly wanting to put the kebosh on continued conversation on products other than the one you suggested.? It's my detector coil and I'll be doing the repair.. I see no logical reason for your being upset over continued product information exchange in reference to an item repair that isn't even yours.. Just because your suggestion appears to be the best solution right now doesn't mean there isn't something better out there not mentioned so far, beyond the product I noted.. Maybe there isn't..? But I'm not going to shut the door, because maybe there is..! That cutsie interwebs TMI saying..? It's a lie.. There can never be too much information..

Swamp

You just seemed a bit confused on which way to do it, PC-7 is proven. Grubstake

On 5/2/2016 at 5:16 PM, Swampstomper Al said:

I

Planning on doing the truck bed liner coating afterwards..

Swamp

I was at the local BIG LOTS store yesterday and noticed they had RUBBER MAT in rolls for $8.  It's a shade over 2'  wide and an skosh over 4'(about 1/16" thick).  Try as I might, I couldn't tear  the stuff .  Right away I  pictured  laced on  coil covers.  NO goop, glue, masking, needed. Just the mat, shoelaces and something to make holes.

16 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

I was at the local BIG LOTS store yesterday and noticed they had RUBBER MAT in rolls for $8.  It's a shade over 2'  wide and an skosh over 4'(about 1/16" thick).  Try as I might, I couldn't tear  the stuff .  Right away I  pictured  laced on  coil covers.  NO goop, glue, masking, needed. Just the mat, shoelaces and something to make holes.

Interesting -- three 'coil covers' for less than a third the cost of one OEM..

I'll also say I've given your idea about how to use silicone as the adhering / attaching agent for this matting further thought,..With the right product and consequent usage of same upon follow-up I'm thinking it could be knife cut or cut-scraped off without too much worry about how clean a job is done.. Thickness and cure time definitely would come into play..
While the no-goop-and-shoelaces thing sounds good, it is kind of counter-productive for what I'm after, which is not needing to remove protectors to rinse off beach sand.. No real reason other than that to not give it a try though.. And if the matting holds up well but the shoelaces / whatever start causing tears, I do have a couple different size eyelet kits.. Just because this may not work out well in wet applications doesn't mean it wouldn't be great, and cheap, for desert use..

On the Infinium coil, should I coat I am going to go with the pc-7.. I did find multiple tiny-to-small separations upon further examination though, so just picked up a waterproof two-part epoxy to do individual repair on each of them first.. However, I do have two other salt-capable waterproof BOGO specials I have no problem experimenting on.. They may just end up getting matted..

Swamp

1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I
I'll also say I've given your idea about how to use silicone as the adhering / attaching agent for this matting further thought,..With the right product and consequent usage of same upon follow-up I'm thinking it could be knife cut or cut-scraped off without too much worry about how clean a job is done.. Thickness and cure time definitely would come into play..
While the no-goop-and-shoelaces thing sounds good, ...
Swamp

Urethane sealant/caulking, gorilla glue, or even contact cement would probably all work, as well, to adhere the rubber pad.  LAcing comes into play to hold it on tight all around the edges while stickum cures.    After a few days of heat, trim off laces and excess pad  on the coil.

FOr that matter, buy a new rubber bath mat... :4chsmu1:Guess what you could do with the old one?