Nugget Shooter Forums
Uncle Ron

Forum Dissappearing ..??

On 4/18/2016 at 2:48 PM, Uncle Ron said:

Well, I'm glad I posed the question because of the enthusiasm it brought out from forum members...I'm guilty of not posting nearly so much because I haven't been out since I broke the ribs in my back 14 months ago ... I'm basically a cripple now but hoping the pain subsides so I can start again ... Have not found a nugget since January, 2015!.... Jones'en bad!  .... Cheers, Unc

I've got a couple of excuses...first one is the post you made about the "tart cherry juice"...it worked too good & I might have over done it a few times...:idunno: I've since started drinking a glass of tea with a half teaspoon full of ginger juice, a half teaspoon full of cinnamon along with a good dose of honey every day...the two medicinal refreshments have really changed things up for me & I've been busy building a deck/porch at the door to my motorhome with a chain link fence attached to contain my two JRTs...:D

My second excuse was the format change didn't allow me to just click on & I had misplaced my old list of passwords...I kept checking the forum from time to time, but didn't want to hassle with resetting my password & figuring out where to write down the changes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, middleforkminer2 said:

I've got a couple of excuses...first one is the post you made about the "tart cherry juice"...it worked too good & I might have over done it a few times...:idunno: I've since started drinking a glass of tea with a half teaspoon full of ginger juice, a half teaspoon full of cinnamon along with a good dose of honey every day...

Add some organic lemon juice to that regimen and I guarantee you'll feel a difference for the better.

I squeeze a lemon  by hand into a quart of water so as to get the seeds which I chew up at least 25 times... twice a day. I suppose, next, I should start eating the  remaining membrane all the way to the underside of the peel( the white "pith).   CAn you say , "yeeeech",  the bitterest way possible?

But it's good for you, I have read.

Maybe a lemon eating contest is in the future.  

:evil1:Does hydrochloric acid attack porcelain crowns or dentures?:tisk-tisk: I think real enamel is assaulted, so, not a good practice

• Like 1

I believe the pith is high in vitamins which will help your enamel thats decaying from the acid :)

• Like 1

I sure hope not.  I have lurked around here for about 5 years.  I really enjoy this forum and I have learned much here.  I am not an active poster/contributor, but I visit very regularly.  I will make an effort to give more.  Like most have already said, it is very important to keep prospecting healthy, and this day & age, forums like this are one of the best ways to do this IMHO.

Happy Hunting,

-Joe

• Like 1

On 4/23/2016 at 9:33 PM, Rod said:

...And what has kept, Bill, Chris and Rob’s forums alive is just a small handful of faithful participants. Bill, Chris and Rob are business owners and it’s part of the business, plus they like to help people and share, that’s cool. Rob and Bill I know personally, both good guys. I’ve purchased equipment from them for well over a decade here and there and keep up with them on what? Drum roll...FaceBook. 

Personally, I get bored with all the forum postings just because it's only a few main themes - people post about getting skunked or show off their finds or are talking about settings and equipment. That’s good and dandy...Facebook has a variety of groups and interests you (I) can follow in a singular stream. Elk hunting, deer hunting, politics, gold, guitars, guns, relics...anything. All from one main screen. This is what sets them apart and I see far more posts about detecting, dredging, gold, etc. on Facebook than anywhere. 

Since becoming semi-retired I would much rather be out hunting gold or pursuing another passion than posting or even reading the forums but I do from time to time. We all go thru cycles with this stuff. And I will tell you there are far more prospectors out there who do not post finds than do. It just does not seem the reverse at times. Believe me, silence is golden. And BTW, I'm no FaceBook fan really, my comments are purely observational opinions on the current state of the medium... 

I gave this post a 'like' because of the truth contained within.. Facts is facts is facts..

A fact not mentioned here though is one I noted in my earlier post: From Faceboor's POV they couldn't care less about how much easier it is for you to follow multiple threads in one stream.. What they care about is the information about yourself you 'tell them' from following those topics.. That, along with allll the info you told them just by signing up for their service is what they're after.. It is my belief most folks have absolutely no idea how much all this accumulated information about oneself, when properly parsed and parted, is worth to the multiple segments within the advertising industry.. So don't think for one minute your info remains securely snuggled on FateBook's servers; it's distributed to partners and sold to anyone and everyone else who wants to better target a person with advertising in which he shows interest.. Why target you with general truck ads when you're a known die hard FORD guy..?

As a private individual I highly resent this intrusiveness we avail ourselves when agreeing to certain TOS.. Who reads that thing anyhow, right..? I mean, everyone's doing it, so it must be safe, yes..? Otherwise one of our "smart" friends would have figured out by now allowing this to happen isn't such a good idea and would have let us know via a "you're my friend" bulk text.. But if he did that and we all quit, then how would we all be able to stay in instantaneous contact with one another..? I'm sooooo confused............................

As I also mentioned, a service like FameBook is great -- for those who are already famous, or seeking fame, or has an alternate persona that has more to gain than it has to lose by sharing every bit of its 24/7 doings.. This is a fantastic platform for self-promotion, and if that is what I was after you better believe I'd be taking full advantage of its presence..

However, as far as your individual private self is concerned, willingly allowing this intrusiveness into your life is no more than two steps shy of your not caring about the outcome of the battle over the Mining Laws of 1872 and your right to own and bear arms.. If you think this isn't a fair comparison, think again.. The line: "What should it matter if you have nothing to hide to begin with,,." has been around for a long long time and has been a direct causation leading to some very despicable inhumane actions in the past.. Do not be deceived..!

Can the technology be a benefit to/for mankind..? Absolutely..! But it isn't the tec that's in question here; it's the method by which you're (one's) being coerced into signing away your personal information that is (or should be) under the microscope.. The continued complacency of societies not being offended enough by these intrusions to demand less invasive Terms Of Service by providers in order for you (one) to remain a customer just makes Big Brotherness that much easier for potential overseers to attain..

As for me, I'll stick with the BBS's.. I have no problem with subject-specific boards and needing to click on four independent URLs instead of one..

Swamp

• Like 3

What they care about is the information about yourself you 'tell them' from following those topics.. That, along with allll the info you told them just by signing up for their service is what they're after.. It is my belief most folks have absolutely no idea how much all this accumulated information about oneself, when properly parsed and parted, is worth to the multiple segments within the advertising industry.. So don't think for one minute your info remains securely snuggled on FateBook's servers; it's distributed to partners and sold to anyone and everyone else who wants to better target a person with advertising in which he shows interest.. Why target you with general truck ads when you're a known die hard FORD guy..?

In my opinion, you are correct SA. With FaceBook YOU are the product, not the customer. FaceBook's board of directors meetings are not focused on how to help you make more friends rather, about how they can monetize your social presence for profit. Viable business models today are the not the same as they were when we were kids or 5 years ago or 1 year ago. But most people don't care about this or the legalese in terms of service and frankly your cell phone likely provides just as much data about you to cell service providers as FaceBook does to whomever. I'm not saying FaceBook is bad, it's not, especially if you exercise your freedom of choice - that we all have - and use it. I use Facebook and can control what I share, just like you can, don't be reckless. You are making a decision to share data - even here on the forums - and I doubt it's the platform (Facebook, Invision PowerBoard, Bill) that you have to fear rather it's the fact that you have limited control on those others that see what you share or how secure your data really is. Long live NuggetShooter! 

• Like 1

I love this forum too. Hope it doesn't go anywhere. I pretty much check it everyday (got a lot of downtime at work sometimes). 

I'm a younger guy too (under 40) and I hope to keep prospecting for many years to come and keep the gold fever alive and kicking. 

• Like 1

I really enjoy this forum as well.  During the time I've used it I've seen many come and go and seen the decline in the amount that bill uses the forum.   I'm one of the ones who doesn't hate facebook haha, I use it every day and can definately say that bill and many other forum users are much more active there.  Bills has groups that he maintains on social media, he also runs a small business, maintains a large property, has many hobbies and interests and works a full time job.  It seems to me that maybe the forum isn't his main media stream these days but I know he visits because he often shares interesting topics on facebook from the forum.  Just my two cents.  I do respect his opinions and would love to see more posts on here from him.

• Like 2

I really like this forum. This is where my wife found out about Bill's outings when she was surfing the net back in 2013. We have been to 3 of the outings and met a lot of really good people when we go to Arizona. I would do more posting but I do most of my prospecting in my back yard here in California. I kind of think that since this forum is based in Arizona, most people would want to hear about finds made in Arizona. I have yet to find a nugget with my detector but I really enjoy trying every time we come to Arizona during the winter. Long live the Nugget Shooter forum, John. 

• Like 3

10x LIKES to Swamp.  I couldn't agree more.

• Like 2

I look at the forum and FB as two completely different venues.  I know my posting here has diminished a bunch, but I still lurk a bunch. This place is almost like a bar full of friends having some great times together.  I also regularly use FB. That venue has put my jewelry skills to a new level of worldwide awareness that I could not have done any other way.  I now have stuff in Australia, the UK and Canada.........FB can use me all they want, but the way I see it, I prosper much more than they do

• Like 2

On 4/25/2016 at 4:51 PM, Rod said:

I'm not saying FaceBook is bad, it's not, especially if you exercise your freedom of choice - that we all have - and use it. I use Facebook and can control what I share, just like you can, don't be reckless. You are making a decision to share data - even here on the forums - and I doubt it's the platform (Facebook, Invision PowerBoard, Bill) that you have to fear rather it's the fact that you have limited control on those others that see what you share or how secure your data really is. Long live NuggetShooter! 

I think you are missing a big piece of the puzzle here Rod. Once you sign up to Facebook you don't have freedom of choice about what gets reported. You might be led to believe Facebook will limit their tracking of you on their site if you jump through a few hoops every few months but if you read the contract you know that doesn't apply to them tracking your activities elsewhere on the internet.

All those "Like" and "Share" buttons at the top of all those internet pages and all the unseen trackers report back constantly on which pages you visit. Facebook gets all that information and more thanks to you signing up and agreeing to storing their cookie on your computer.

This page we are on right now has 11 different trackers reporting on the fact you came to this exact page. Combine that with all the other pages you visited in the last 24 hours and Google, Facebook and anyone with enough money to buy the report now know exactly what your internet interests and timeline were today and every other day.

I'm surprised, knowing your background, you don't already know this stuff.

I seriously doubt Bill planned it this way or even knows the details of what happens to your Facebook cookie when you load one of his pages. He does receive the benefit of somewhat lower charges on the forum software but those details were buried in the online contract. Forum software and server rental costs money. Bill is doing us a solid by providing this forum so don't think I'm hacking on Bill or questioning his intent here. I'm just pointing out the facts.

It is possible to build a website without users being tracked and their information sold. It requires a lot of custom coding and attention to detail. We did that with the Land Matters website and it took more than 7 months of 9 hour days. Advertising re sellers are not possible and google scripts to see your server stats are a no go. I think it's important that people be able to research without being watched and their information sold.

On social media sites like this Forum or Facebook it's a foregone conclusion that you will be tracked and the information used to make a profit for a bunch of companies you've probably never even heard of.

When something looks like it's free on the internet just remember the phrase "There is no such thing as a free lunch". You do ultimately pay a price for all that "free" stuff. With Land Matters either you (or more often I) will need to reach in your pocket and donate to keep the "free" rolling along. With Facebook the price is your privacy. I agree with Al that my privacy is worth more than a few internet "friends". Others may find the Facebook/privacy trade a good bargain. To each their own. Either way it's wise to know just what the price you are paying is.

• Like 5

Once you sign up to Facebook you don't have freedom of choice about what gets reported. 

Let me clarify Clay as I agree with you, sharing and reporting are two vastly different concepts, apples and cigars. To provide definition:

Sharing - what I choose to post on FB (here,anywhere) - Voluntary 

Reported - data collected, reported, shared by third parties such as FB, Google, etc. about me, my online activities, etc. - Involuntary 

What I specifically said was "I use Facebook and can control what I share, just like you can, don't be reckless". As an example, if I don't want people in my FB audience (or in general) knowing I just bought a new 30-06 deer rifle I'm not going to post (share) it. Sharing is voluntary. 

As far as involuntary tracking/reporting (reported) goes that is highly dependent on your use of various sites, your operating system, knowledge and habits. For starters, using myself as an example, I don't own a windows PC, I'm a Linux user. That means a lot, not saying Windows is bad, just saying Linux is better. With a few Linux tricks you can easily prevent FB or anyone except your ISP knowing about what you do on the web and really, if you want to dive real deep into the rabbit hole you can even avoid that. But that deep dive is a whole different topic that most people don't have (or need) a rudimentary knowledge of. Frankly, I don't go to such extremes because my web activities are quite benign. 

Edited by Rod
  • Like 2

I still stop by daily. Still a great motivational place most of the time; makes me wish I could get out more. Later...Jim P. 

• Like 1