Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edge

Not too new, New guy

An introduction...

Grew up reading the silver and gold lore stories of our fabulous region. Was blessed to have parents and Grandparents that were unabashed RockHounds. Bought a Bounty Hunter Varmit when I was 10. Grandparents had a Mogollon site on their land 150 yards out their back door. I had Anasazi ruins on my Ranch in UT.

USAF planted me in the Phoenix west valley decades ago where I learned the lsd in my leisure.

Wife worked for a salt miner that was more interested in oil and gold than sodium. Learned much from him.

I've worn out 2 dry washers and a lot of boot leather over the years. I still like to hike but I maintain a string of pack mules for outfitting and prospecting. If you're having trouble getting supplies or equipment in or out of your spot, pm me.

Here's one of my earliest and best finds coin shooting outside an old bunkhouse on the ol folks ranch, southern NM.

1872 Canada .50 cent

post-27841-0-93506500-1454523039_thumb.j

Great introduction. Welcome.

Great introduction. Welcome.

Thanks, man. Was beginning to wonder if I had stepped into the lions den, specially when my maiden post was immediately met by a troll.

Wish I had studied more chemistry and Geology growing up, so much to learn. Especially with my renewed interest in crystal formations.

Your never too old to learn. I'm over 65 and glad to be alive as I learn something new every day and it's grand-John

Your never too old to learn. I'm over 65 and glad to be alive as I learn something new every day and it's grand-John

Amen, loving it.

Welcome to the forum..! Ion drive parking to the right.. :4chsmu1:

Southern NM & pack mules makes me have to ask if you know Jackass Jill..?

Swamp

Welcome to the forum..! Ion drive parking to the right.. :4chsmu1:

Southern NM & pack mules makes me have to ask if you know Jackass Jill..?

Swamp

thanks

No, ain't met her but did try shaking hands with 'Rattlesnake Annie' once out on the LSD. We were turned around and she was out front of her abode beating the crap out of a rug. As we slowed down to ask her directions, she reached into the shacks doorway and a second later we were staring down the business end of a dbl barrel shotgun and two tickets to oblivia.

...oblivia.

I just noticed you've filled in more of your info, and you're in Morristown..

That's almost like cheating, ya know..? :rolleyes:

So what's the skinny..? When did you move there, etc..? :idunno:

Swamp

Dang. Double tap

Currently I'm just a couple miles east of downtown Morristown proper lol, been there since 2002. Started prowling the LSD around '81.

Didn't know how to pan so I asked my ex wife's boss, then the owner/founder of Soutwest Salt Co. to look through some concentrates I'd drywashed in the LSD... That was 35 years ago and when he pointed out the little flakes in the pan, I was hooked good.

I have a good eye for artifacts, my heads always down. I try and get out several days a week on foot or horseback and cover ground. It's just occurred to me recently just how many spots I've found crystals, geodes, nodules etc.

Riding into a western wilderness area tomorrow for a couple days to look over some interesting crystal clusters there. Got my lion tag too. Caught this guy on a trail camera there a couple years ago...ever get that feeling something is watching you?

post-27841-0-27617500-1454611709_thumb.j

post-27841-0-49016600-1454611724_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum :thumbsupanim , looking forward to your input on the forum and hearing about some of your past and future adventures!

That's one long and lean male lion, dangerous critters they can be if you're unaware! :th:

Welcome! Our paths probably crossed a few times out at LDS. "Rattlesnake Annie" I knew as "Rattlesnake Lil" but the years might have rearranged some of my memories.She really didn't cotton to people too well. I was told that she use to live in a cave or dug out with some guy years before she had her little house. I worked out at Luke AFB and was out around Morristown about every weekend beginning about 1982. Did you ever meet old Tom Mc?? that lived in a little house on the other side of Ox Wash? He was quite a character. Hope that you can make it to the outing in March and swap some stories. :ROFL:

Welcome to the forum :thumbsupanim , looking forward to your input on the forum and hearing about some of your past and future adventures!

That's one long and lean male lion, dangerous critters they can be if you're unaware! :th:

saw two lions together last week in gmu23. Unfortunately, I had only a bow and they was haulin the mail.

Welcome! Our paths probably crossed a few times out at LDS. "Rattlesnake Annie" I knew as "Rattlesnake Lil" but the years might have rearranged some of my memories.She really didn't cotton to people too well. I was told that she use to live in a cave or dug out with some guy years before she had her little house. I worked out at Luke AFB and was out around Morristown about every weekend beginning about 1982. Did you ever meet old Tom Mc?? that lived in a little house on the other side of Ox Wash? He was quite a character. Hope that you can make it to the outing in March and swap some stories. :ROFL:

where did you work at Luke. I was in the Weather Station 10/80-4/87.

Only fellow I met was running the dry washer along west side of Castle Hot Spring Rd, assaying the placers on the east side mostly for the state. Got a look at the operation and what he found but can't recall his name. The crew was staying in Camp trailers.

'Rattlesnake Lil? Gotta be her. I've heard similar legends about her too, lol. At least we got her first name right.

where did you work at Luke. I was in the Weather Station 10/80-4/87.

Only fellow I met was running the dry washer along west side of Castle Hot Spring Rd, assaying the placers on the east side mostly for the state. Got a look at the operation and what he found but can't recall his name. The crew was staying in Camp trailers.

'Rattlesnake Lil? Gotta be her. I've heard similar legends about her too, lol. At least we got her first name right.

Worked at Luke from 1973 to 2012 as an aircraft hydraulic mech and later as an aircraft electrician.

Worked at Luke from 1973 to 2012 as an aircraft hydraulic mech and later as an aircraft electrician.

what Sqdn/aircraft? Know Ron Anderson?

what Sqdn/aircraft? Know Ron Anderson?

405th, 58th, and 56th sq. Ron Anderson sounds familiar, I remember an Anderson in our shop in about 1984, maybe.

Was I that troll? Sometimes my jokes go bad.

BD, the forum member in question wasn't you, and he isn't a troll, he just didn't word his reply diplomatically to get his point across without bruising feelings, his reply was not taken well by Edge who responded a little harshly, hence both posts were removed to keep harmony on the forum.

It's all water under the bridge and should remain so!

Wish I had studied more chemistry and Geology growing up, so much to learn. Especially with my renewed interest in crystal formations.

Don't know ifn this'll help but MIT offers a few free non-credited on-line geology courses, w/no registration/work at yer own pace kinna atmosphere. This is one of the best inexpensive self education tools I've taken advantage of in the past an currently. Ifn this helps.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/earth-atmospheric-and-planetary-sciences/12-114-field-geology-i-fall-2005/index.htm

Frank

Oh an when/if you go there, at the bottom of the page there'll be tab that says "need help getting started?" Just click that line an go from there, ok, again ifn this helps.

Frank

Don't know ifn this'll help but MIT offers a few free non-credited on-line geology courses, w/no registration/work at yer own pace kinna atmosphere. This is one of the best inexpensive self education tools I've taken advantage of in the past an currently. Ifn this helps.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/earth-atmospheric-and-planetary-sciences/12-114-field-geology-i-fall-2005/index.htm

Frank

excellent link, I'll be doing it asap, thanks