Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

Resurrecting an old Coleman Peak 1 pack frame.

I have been needing a pack frame for, well...packing stuff. Whether a drywasher and crap, or a deer. I grew up using aluminum framed packs, which was about like strapping a step ladder your back. Back when I was a teenager I had an old Peak 1 bag that was the most comfortable I have ever used. The plastic Ram X frame twisted and flexed with my movements, but was still really strong. I packed 1/2 a moose out on one (it took 4 trips for my half). The pack was involuntarily relieved of me by a sticky fingered individual sometime during high school.

Ran across a used one the other day for dirt cheap, like 10 bucks!

Did a little reading online and found that several active duty guys were using the Peak 1 frames as a direct replacement for the Molle frame.

They are using Molle shoulder straps and hip belts for the Peak 1 frame. Some are even fitting Alice rucks to them.

I ordered a full set of Molle straps off fleabay for $26.00

to replace the outdated and deteriorated ones...and they fit! Like they were made for it20150508_180457_zpsxjeclila.jpg

20150508_180503_zpsp28axwsy.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 1

You can even hook up the load lifter straps to take some weight off your shoulders

20150508_180513_zpsgyojlisn.jpg

Completed frame ready for hauling.

20150508_181222_zpsemtwnjne.jpg

A bottom of the line aluminum packframe can set you back at least $100.00. For only $36.00 I can get my stuff places most folks dont go, and in a lot more comfort than an aluminum one

:)

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 2

Saaawwwhhheeet! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

Old school rules :old: John

• Like 1

Very nice setup, Dave. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for one of those frames. I'm currently using an Alice pack on an old Jansport aluminum frame. It works fine, and I've been lugging it around for 35 years...LOL. But, there are time when I'd like a more substantial load-carrying capability....that one looks good.

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

I like it. I wore it around a little yesterday with some weight on it. Really very comfortable. They made a couple different sizes of those frames. I guess the smaller one fits the Alice ruck very well, although some are mounting them on the larger frame like the one I have. Length of mine is 34" I wanted more frame for my uses(packing in drywashers, sluices, highbankers, gas vac, etc...)

Those military straps are suprisingly easy on the body. I just thought it was cool that they fit so well on that frame. I will be putting it to use soon. Mining season in Alaska is getting closer :)

Oh and I looked at the tags on the straps I bought. They are MOLLE 2. Don't think it makes a difference, as both work.

That is one great looking set-up ... My old aluminum ladder rack frame broke several years ago and I haven't been able to find a satisfactory replacement. That Peak looks real good ... wonder if there is another out in a yard sale somewhere ... maybe find one when I go back east. They tend to like much smaller frames back there unless walking the Appalachian Trail ... then the big ones are the rule rather than the exception. and the Molle harness looks like it was made for that frame! Good score!

Mike F

• Like 1

I'm sure there are more out there Mike. Found mine at a garage sale.

Outdoor Products aquired the rights to the Peak 1 design several years back. They produced it for awhile. I have not heard any input( good or bad)on whether they were as good as the Coleman ones. They may be worth a look. If you stumble upon one cheap...snag it. Very comfortable!

Very good set up. Proffesional.

I throw my dry washer in a duffel bag and sewed clips on to attach the hose, the blower, and a quart of gas. I dont have a frame and it gets quite painful. Ive not hiked that set up for more than a mile each way.

When I get back to AZ, I'd like to go off the beaten path for a few days. Everything Ive done so far had been an hour or two drive from 4 Million people in Phoenix. I drove by Oatman today thinking a place like that would be a good place to go that cant get hit up by every day trip prospector.

Edited by chrisski

Thank you. The real test will be in a couple weeks when I have to pack in a highbanker about a mile. I hooked the 2" pump to it the other day and walked around with it. Felt pretty good :)

Could you give me the exact part # of that shoulder and waist strap.

I contacted cheaperthandirt and they didn't know what i was talking about. Couldn't get them to understand what i was talking about.

Lots of luck Dave. Last time I threw a pak on my back with a pump :arrowheadsmiley: it was NOT a good thing, ledge frame and all didn't even help. Say la vee-Old made new again, like my various replaced parts and more in the works hahaha-tons a au 2 u 2-John

• Like 1

Arctic Dave, Could you give me specific numbers for ordering those Molle2 straps? I have an old Peak 1 frame and like it very much. I've had it for over thirty years and i would love to put the straps on mine like the ones you have on yours. Just haven't found the right place to get it yet.

Thanks

Sorry man, haven't been able to get on here lately.

waist strap is:

Molle 2

moulded waistbelt

Nsn 8465-01-491-7429

Shoulder straps:

MOLLE 2

Nsn 8465-01-491-7513

Search for MOLLE 2 straps on ebay. Real cheap and plentiful! Hope this helps :)

I used the frame several times last summer with outstanding results. It held up great! You put a 2" pump on it and walk a few miles... it's still heavy :ROFL:

• Like 1

I am a cherry jumper here so hope I am not out of line. I have a spare RAM-X frame if someone wants it contact me at theSergeantMajor@gmail.com and we can make a deal.