Nugget Shooter Forums
Caliche Chris

My new project

I have been making stuff so I can do the flea market and farmers market here in town. I am just getting started but I have a lot of good ideas of things to make. Here's some pics of some of the stuff im making. I made some wood cross necklaces, with a gold nugget on it. They are made with all hand tools, I cut and seasoned the wood for it and mined the gold I used. I'm also making some bigger crosses for hanging on the wall. This one has a wood opal cab in it.

post-26514-0-52455200-1427925566_thumb.jpost-26514-0-10959400-1427925445_thumb.j

• Like 2

Is it possible to collect dead wood in the same areas, Ironwood and scrub oak come to mind . Looks like you're completing your vertical integration. Looks nice.

WTG Chris.....I like the one with the cab on it!

Thanks guys! Man I am really enjoying making the cabs, It's weird how quickly something you've never thought much about or really noticed can all of a sudden become a passion of yours. Steve sent me a couple cabs of wood opal and that sparked a fire in me, I had to get something so I could make some too. I am really enjoying it.

When I first moved here a couple years ago I bought a chainsaw and was cutting down salt cedar for fence posts hoping to sell them to local ranchers. I didn't sell many and most of them are still piled up in the desert. That's where I've been getting my seasoned wood from. Salt cedar is an invasive species and most people hate it but it is beautiful wood when you cut it. So far I use mesquite and salt cedar. I'd like to get some iron wood for making rings but I don't know if it grows around here.

Even with a likeness of Jesus on it...Pretty cool Chris!

• Like 1

Even with a likeness of Jesus on it...Pretty cool Chris!

Rimmy, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it, but your right the wood grain in that wood opal does indeed look like Jesus, that's way cool IMHO!!!

Chris did you realize that when you selected the opal?

Actually I didn't notice that face in the cab at all untill I showed the cross to someone and they pointed it out to me. It is awesome, especially since I randomly picked that one to go on the cross piece before I even saw it.

Actually I didn't notice that face in the cab at all untill I showed the cross to someone and they pointed it out to me. It is awesome, especially since I randomly picked that one to go on the cross piece before I even saw it.

Well then it was meant to be apparently, how fitting!!