Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mxt Sniper

New Detecting Partner

I finally decided to give a CT110 Honda a try, found this 1986 model with 1600 miles on it close by. It runs good and engine/trans are tight. Needs a few things, tires, rear shocks, etc, but its all on order and this bike will be ready for nugget hunting in Nevada by May. Even got a receiver hitch carrier for it, I am not a fan of towing trailers when out detecting. This should be better than taking the truck each morning down rough mining roads from camp. Save some wear and tear. Maybe I can get closer to some good gold areas with it. Came with the heavy duty gun rack you see on the bars, hopefully with some cushioning it will work for carrying the gpx. Think I will add a milk crate on back where the buddy seat is now for misc accessories. The rear carrier rack has been extended about 8" so much bigger than a stock rack.

post-694-0-41851200-1423769243_thumb.jpg

post-694-0-35704100-1423769257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mxt Sniper

Sure is a good pic of "old Red" staking his claim to the rear seat.

Like the carrier in back for the same reason you said.

Mxt sniper
Nice bike. does it have the high-Lo tranny?
not trying to rain on your parade, but you may want to consider a cover for
your bike. its going to get very dirty driving in some places with it on the back of the truck.

been there done that. and if you ride hard,
you can break lower shafts if your running large coils,and you strap your detector to the handle bars.
I did.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Many years ago my (late) friend, Leonard Phye, had a Honda such as in the photo.

He added the hitch to the front of his camper and while driving in Nevada alkali roads the Honda

rode clean... I don't know where you are in Nevada but your neighborhood is very similar

to mine in Rialto.

Bob, I have a vague memory of you riding a bike somewhere, it could been on one of the forums

such as this and maybe you posted them.

Reviving old threads are very interesting... like touching hands across time...

• Like 1

AzNuggetBob, thanks for the heads up on the dust and the lower shafts on the detector with big coils , yes it has the hi/lo trans which should come in handy now and then. I am still slowly refurbishing things on the bike, replaced the rear shocks as they were done for, and am about to replace both tires, front fork boots, and shift lever seal. We don't usually start nugget detecting heavy till June 1st so I got some time still to get things in order. Maybe I can figure out some sort of cover for the bike too when in transit on the carrier.

I finally got out in june to Nevada with my new to me Honda ct110, it was great though we got rained out third day, that little thing will scoot up the side of some steep terrain in low range, as long as you can hang on. I am happy with it. Going back in August to Nevada for a week with honda in tow. It really expands your areas you can hunt per trip. Much better than walking or beating the heck out of your truck on those rough tiny mining roads every day. Now the truck just sits in camp till I head home.

• Like 2

I finally got out in june to Nevada with my new to me Honda ct110, it was great though we got rained out third day, that little thing will scoot up the side of some steep terrain in low range, as long as you can hang on. I am happy with it. Going back in August to Nevada for a week with honda in tow. It really expands your areas you can hunt per trip. Much better than walking or beating the heck out of your truck on those rough tiny mining roads every day. Now the truck just sits in camp till I head home.

I agree MXT Sniper

great to hear its working out for ya. I've been riding bikes for years while prospecting. I use a back pack for my detector and gear and I use older bikes and just rebuild them to cut down on break-downs. I was thinking of down sizing to something like your bike as Im getting older (59), and they do handle well. lightweight and with that hi low tranny will go almost anywhere. they became so popular I heard Honda was making them again for a few years.

Here is a older shot of me and my green beast. Yamaha 500. great across the flats, a real white knuckler, but it sucked on the hills. too heavy and the sprocket ratio was all wrong for steep hills and no high-low tranny. look at the photo and you can see my pick rack on the front fork "knuckle", this keeps it out away from shock travel. its a 2" pvc pipe attached with 2 auto hose clamps. works great. I cut a slightly tapered slot in the top with hack saw that fits the pick head to keep the pick in it and keep it from rattling. just drop it in handle first and go. I used to bugie cord my pick to the handle bars but I found the pvc pipe works much better.

AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-45338600-1439578958_thumb.j

• Like 1

Aznuggetbob, wow, that is a gnarly beast the yamaha 500, I am getting older as well (62) and figure the step thru design and low hp will keep me from damaging myself too much, hehe, yet be able to run the backcountry well enough. I just don't care much for the idea of pulling a trailer with a quad. If I get to where I cannot handle the bike safely I will consider a quad. The receiver hitch carrier lets me fly thru nevada on the freeways. I bolted a milk crate to the back extended rack behind the buddy seat, with some cushion in the bottom of the crate my pick, headpones, etc stay still, if no cushion they tend to bounce, lost a good scoop in june due to that. The gunrack is working well for my detectors. I will be headed to N.Nevada 24th for a week detecting with it again, anxious to get up there.

post-694-0-93763900-1439825714_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mxt Sniper

I had a Honda 70 way back when that seemed to last for ever.