Nugget Shooter Forums
AzNuggetBob

Where does gold come from? with AZ Nugget Bob...

Hey Bob... I guess I'm way out of the box. I'm not even close to the tourist spots. I'm within a few miles though of a couple well known districts just hoping some of them veins may have spread around a bit. Right now I'm concentrating my prospecting efforts on fault lines and where two or three types of geological formations meet or combine. I've spent the last few weeks trying to get to a few gossans that look nice, but the terrain is just way to rough and I don't feel like hiking to get to them. I'll wait on them until my partner gets his Rokon up and running real good, and can pull or push me up some of the steeper sections of the mountains. I just keep hoping for the day I find that nice residual pocket, or that nice fat vein that has been laying only a few inches below the surface for the last several million years. Needless to say, I'm having a good time trying to get to all of the off-the-grid prospects I have mapped out. I've barely even scratched the surface yet, as there's so much good looking ground right in my own backyard to explore and not nearly enough time. Prospecting is fun! :thumbsupanim

Cool stuff Geo! I'll watch those.

Hey Bob... I guess I'm way out of the box. I'm not even close to the tourist spots. I'm within a few miles though of a couple well known districts just hoping some of them veins may have spread around a bit. Right now I'm concentrating my prospecting efforts on fault lines and where two or three types of geological formations meet or combine. I've spent the last few weeks trying to get to a few gossans that look nice, but the terrain is just way to rough and I don't feel like hiking to get to them. I'll wait on them until my partner gets his Rokon up and running real good, and can pull or push me up some of the steeper sections of the mountains. I just keep hoping for the day I find that nice residual pocket, or that nice fat vein that has been laying only a few inches below the surface for the last several million years. Needless to say, I'm having a good time trying to get to all of the off-the-grid prospects I have mapped out. I've barely even scratched the surface yet, as there's so much good looking ground right in my own backyard to explore and not nearly enough time. Prospecting is fun! :thumbsupanim

azbb I think your on the right track. I saw your video with you and a friend on bikes.

when I first started out nugget hunting I used to 4x4 all over the back country or go on three day hikes with a back pack on trails. then I decided to use dirt bikes.

even after researching the area I found old timers camps and diggings that I had no idea were there.

in many places the only way in was hike,horse or dirt bike. make sure you take plenty of water and you may want to check the regulations on motorized vehicles in the area your going to.

Keep a sharp eye out for signs of old workings,stacked cobbles,piles along the edges of washes from the old timers dry washing.

they can be hard to spot because the leaves from the bushes or trees can cover them up.

even the semi-virgin (never detected) old prospecters sites will still produce a lot of gold.

many times the old timers missed a lot of gold in their diggings. the old timers workings are easer to find and they will get you into the gold until you find that virgin patch..

you dont find the large virgin patches (never found or worked) that often but when you do,

its prospectors paradise. :ROFL::wee:

Persistence pays off in prospecting, just keep at it.

Good luck

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

To move this tread along... Hydrothermal simply refers to hot water for water and thermal for temperature).

Now there is many types of mineral deposits... but to move this thread in one of many directions I will mention the

three types Hydrothermal ore deposits commonly found within the North American Cordillera and they depend upon

the depth and temperature environment in which they formed.

Hypothermal... This mean under or at depth... Mesothermal means middle and.. Epithermal means

near or shallow.

Now these terms are Greek and refer to the original depth they formed in. To be mined they need to be uplifted to the

the economical surface of the ground. By faulting or regional uplifting.

An example of Hypothermal is the ancient rocks that were uplifted about 4-thousand feet and created the eastern

Appalachians and were first mined during the early years such as during the first 13 states. They are associated

with deep plutions.

Now for Mesothermal....They are typically associated with granitic rocks such as associated with mountain building.

They have never formed with the volcanics. The liguids moved upward into openings and systems of openings such

as at the 16 to one.... Or commonly formed the big five base metals...copper, lead, zinc, silver and gold... this in best

known in Arizona Nevada Montana Utah where Copper was once King, but are now being mined for their silver, gold,

molly, etc. content and it is important to note they are never found associated with the volcanics...

Now for Epithermal... they are only associated with the volcanics. Hey they are my favorite type of ore deposit;

electrum.... highgrade. Virginia City is a well known example... silver and gold deposits. Historically they have

produced most of the silver and a large part of the gold.... They are associated with plate tecnetics and are thus

found around the world... Hope this might help as the gold rich (electrum) placers are still being overlooked,

and best recovered by metaldetecting.

• Like 1

Well........there has been small amounts of gold found in meteorites. So maybe gold comes from outer space..........lol

Good video series here on orogenic gold systems.

Great stuff in the video's thanks GeoJack for posting them here. more food for thought. :)

As far as the video's Its good to see that were all working on simular theories.

I agree with most of it except the source of the water.

I think at least some if not most of the water in these systems is coming in from the ocean with water permiated soil and rock (crust) as the oceanic plate slides under the continental plate in the subductive mountain building process, and could also help explain the explosive nature of Strato volcanoes.

The million dollar question? is the gold forming around the same time as the quartz?

In some deposits I believe its being formed later by a different cooler process and a lot more recently.

AzNuggetBob

To move this tread along... Hydrothermal simply refers to hot water for water and thermal for temperature).

Now there is many types of mineral deposits... but to move this thread in one of many directions I will mention the

three types Hydrothermal ore deposits commonly found within the North American Cordillera and they depend upon

the depth and temperature environment in which they formed.

Hypothermal... This mean under or at depth... Mesothermal means middle and.. Epithermal means

near or shallow.

Now these terms are Greek and refer to the original depth they formed in. To be mined they need to be uplifted to the

the economical surface of the ground. By faulting or regional uplifting.

An example of Hypothermal is the ancient rocks that were uplifted about 4-thousand feet and created the eastern

Appalachians and were first mined during the early years such as during the first 13 states. They are associated

with deep plutions.

Now for Mesothermal....They are typically associated with granitic rocks such as associated with mountain building.

They have never formed with the volcanics. The liguids moved upward into openings and systems of openings such

as at the 16 to one.... Or commonly formed the big five base metals...copper, lead, zinc, silver and gold... this in best

known in Arizona Nevada Montana Utah where Copper was once King, but are now being mined for their silver, gold,

molly, etc. content and it is important to note they are never found associated with the volcanics...

Now for Epithermal... they are only associated with the volcanics. Hey they are my favorite type of ore deposit;

electrum.... highgrade. Virginia City is a well known example... silver and gold deposits. Historically they have

produced most of the silver and a large part of the gold.... They are associated with plate tecnetics and are thus

found around the world... Hope this might help as the gold rich (electrum) placers are still being overlooked,

and best recovered by metaldetecting.

Jim thanks for posting the clarification. AzNuggetBob

Out of the box patch (old worked prospects)hunting. Here's a tip if your huntin one of those lower end trashy patches.

get yourself a metal rake,

put a few super magnets on it and scrape off the surface. not only will this get rid

of those nasty magnetite hot rocks but also most of the small pieces of iron trash left behind.

If your after the gold and maybe not the tin relics, a dig em all theory just doesnt work well there. :fl::)

AzNuggetBob

Out of the box patch (old worked prospects)hunting. Here's a tip if your huntin one of those lower end trashy patches.

get yourself a metal rake,

put a few super magnets on it and scrape off the surface. not only will this get rid

of those nasty magnetite hot rocks but also most of the small pieces of iron trash left behind.

If your after the gold and maybe not the tin relics, a dig em all theory just doesnt work well there. :fl::)

AzNuggetBob

I use "cow magnets" to pull magnetite out of my sluice and pan.

They'd prob work on your rake too. :idea:

I use "cow magnets" to pull magnetite out of my sluice and pan.

They'd prob work on your rake too. :idea:

Are your "cow magnets" like these?? :arrowheadsmiley:

il_570xN.680522471_7k6b.jpg

• Like 2

ok guys, refrigerator magnets?. cow magnets will work fine.

but you may want to think twice about borrowing frige magnets for panning or your sluice box.

We have so many magnets on our frige its hard to open the door!.

but at least now I have no doubts, mold can grow in a high magnetic field.

ok, I'll be a little more specific.

rare earth or Neodymium magnets do work the best on a rake but enough of any type will work.

AzNuggetBob

Are your "cow magnets" like these?? :arrowheadsmiley:

il_570xN.680522471_7k6b.jpg

Really? :25r30wi: You have "Cow" magnets! :thcongratsflwrs:

I don't think my "Cow" magnets will stick a cow to my fridge though. :89:

• Like 1

Really? :25r30wi: You have "Cow" magnets! :thcongratsflwrs:

I don't think my "Cow" magnets will stick a cow to my fridge though. :89:

FridgeMagnet.jpg

AzNuggetBob :inocent:

Jim thanks for sending me a copy of the S.J.Shand Eruptive Rocks report.

Some how I get the feeling maybe I'm missing something so I read the report again and their relation to (volcanic origin)ore deposits is intriguing.

Some other things the report suggests is that chondritic stones may at some point were melted, reformed and

crystallized before entering earths atmosphere suggests that most meteorites could be the result of

a sudden disintegration of a larger celestial body rather than just an accumulation of debris in space. but so far Its hard to find well documented cases of gold being found in meteorites that may not have been contaminated (heavily weathered)and we know gold has an attraction or seems to have a relation to iron. most of the ones I did find came back with assay numbers like 0.02ozpt-0.32ozpt

These meteorites were weathered (terrestrialized).

http://www.minsocam.org/ammin/AM19/AM19_370.pdf

I think the best way to rule out cross contamination is to find gold in a

meteorite found on the ice, north pole or antarctica and have it tested in a sterile lab environment

with new equipment,crusher, saw blades etc. and/or only witnessed falls.

Nasa reported finding gold in lunar samples. but was it lunar soil, rocks,or suspected meteoroids?

there's not much doubt that the moon has been pummeled by meteorites but was the moon once part of the earth?

but based on the varied gold content numbers and the small amount of rare meteorites reported with gold,

it would require to account for estimated gold on our planet would be a phenomenaly huge amount of meteorites.

but that would help back up my theory that the earth is growing from meteorite/asteriod

bombardment over 4-5 billion years and the continents are spreading apart as the earth grows with

the regeneration of magma digesting meteorites by subductive plate movement and tectonic action.

So maybe the earth has been pummeled by far more meteorites than we think?

Here is another interesting report on the subject.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1968/0603/report.pdf

On the subject of geologic,epithermal and hydrothermal vents and suspected water sources.

I just thought I'd throw this in here.

post-26382-0-88547400-1419807284_thumb.j

AzNuggetBob

Edited by Au Seeker
Typo fixed requested by OP

FridgeMagnet.jpg

AzNuggetBob :inocent:

I searched the link but didn't get anywhere. :cry2:

I searched the link but didn't get anywhere. :cry2:

Let me try it again Steel Pan.

the last one failed after loading. :2mo5pow::D Happy New Year!

AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-26882600-1420062833_thumb.j

• Like 1

Check the illustration shown on post # 89

Some how I get the feeling maybe I'm missing something so I read the report again and their relation to (volcanic origin)ore deposits is intriguing.

Some other things the report suggests is that chondritic stones may at some point were melted, reformed and

crystallized before entering earths atmosphere suggests that most meteorites could be the result of

a sudden disintegration of a larger celestial body rather than just an accumulation of debris in space. but so far Its hard to find well documented cases of gold being found in meteorites that may not have been contaminated (heavily weathered)and we know gold has an attraction or seems to have a relation to iron. most of the ones I did find came back with assay numbers like 0.02ozpt-0.32ozpt

http://www.minsocam.org/ammin/AM19/AM19_370.pdf

meteorite found on the ice, north pole or antarctica and have it tested in a sterile lab environment

Nasa reported finding gold in lunar samples. but was it lunar soil, rocks,or suspected meteoroids?

there's not much doubt that the moon has been pummeled by meteorites but was the moon once part of the earth?

but based on the varied gold content numbers and the small amount of rare meteorites reported with gold,

it would require to account for estimated gold on our planet would be a phenomenaly huge amount of meteorites.

but that would help back up my theory that the earth is growing from meteorite/asteriod

bombardment over 4-5 billion years and the continents are spreading apart as the earth grows with

the regeneration of magma digesting meteorites by subductive plate movement and tectonic action.

attachicon.gifHow gold deposits - Copy.jpg

On the subject of geologic,epithermal and hydrothermal vents and suspected water sources.

I just thought I'd throw this in here.

AzNuggetBob

Check the illustration shown on post # 89

Jim after reading your post I realized there may be some confusion in post #89. so decided to repost it here and clear it up.

Some how I get the feeling maybe I'm missing something so I read the report again and their relation to (volcanic origin) epithermal ore deposits is intriguing.

How gold deposits - Copy.jpg

http://www.minsocam....19/AM19_370.pdf

Some other things this report suggests is that chondritic stones may at some point were melted, reformed and

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

How about earth was peppered at the dawn of time when the big bang happened .

Or sometime after a cosmic dusting from a golden shower , and many events there after .

Edited by H-2 Charlie

Crazy thought here, but maybe gold comes from iron???

H-2 Charlie and Rim you may want to take a look at this. it discusses earth's peppering and gold's possible relation to iron.
AzNuggetBob

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22904141

There's an old miner's saying,,,,"iron is the mother of gold".... says a lot if you ask me, it says to me that many times gold is found in the presence of iron.

Great links guys, for those that haven't read it yet, I also recommend

Jim Straight's book on Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hard Rock Gold.

you can find more info on the subject of gold's relation to Iron.

AzNuggetBob

Very interesting fer sure...tks for the links!