Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

The Nugget Only Thread, Past finds and New

Keep em coming Bob.

Love your stories Bob, they keep the gold fever going when were stuck at the house keep em coming!

AzBB After watching your video's, your covering a lot of ground and thats what it takes.

I think it's only a matter of time before you get your coil over some gold and hopefully a patch.

Yep... covering the ground and abiding by the 3 P's. :thumbsupanim

Yep... covering the ground and abiding by the 3 P's. :thumbsupanim

You got it AzBB the three P's.

persistence perseverance patience

AzNuggetBob

Here is another one.

Here is an old shot of just some of the larger nuggets my partner and I took out of a semi-virgin patch in Az., and my beautiful daughter Heather having fun playing with them. I often melted the smaller nuggets and made jewelry out of them.
The old timers dug up the wash to it, but never worked the bench on the hill side.It was covered with nuggets that never made down to the wash.
This is the type patch you dream about.
the trash ratio was about 1 bullet-5 nuggets. most the nuggets were less than six inches deep.
we were using large coils to help ignore the shot gun shot.
she is holding a boulder rolled nugget about 3.5 ozer. but its hard to see in her hand.
It was less than a inch deep.
The long pointed one on the left is about 1.5 oz. Jimmy and I claimed this patch and another one near by on the next ridge.
the ground was wide open.

AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-50097600-1423683360_thumb.j

• Like 2

Haha cute photo. Sweet gold.

I ran accross some more photo's
This is a 3.25 ozer. nice solid slug. It was the record holder in the three pound patch until I came back
a few years later raised the bar with the 4.5 ozer. that was an awsome patch.
AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-77299700-1423753614_thumb.j

• Like 2

Bob that is a great picture of your daughter. I have to watch my 3 year old daughter around my shinny rocks...she claims them all for herself and keeps a death grip on them. I have had to wait until she falls asleep before getting some of my gemstones back.

Bob that is a great picture of your daughter. I have to watch my 3 year old daughter around my shinny rocks...she claims them all for herself and keeps a death grip on them. I have had to wait until she falls asleep before getting some of my gemstones back.

Ya I know what your saying, my daughter called them her purdy rocks. :D AzNuggetBob

Hi All
Here is another patch,more gold and little more info on how I track them down.
Ok Im buzzing along on my bike, the road was running right down the top of a ridge.
I noticed a small quartz vein running across the road.
I stopped looked around and looked down into the wash next to the road and bingo, I spotted some stacked rocks along the wash.
there was a lot of trees and brush so I couldnt see very well.
the leaves almost had them covered up, Oh Ya, old timers workings I'm stoked.

I fired up the detector and headed down into the wash. no detector holes anywhere!. Oh ya.
I went down toward the bottom and started working my way back up the wash. I'm hitting a few pieces of trash left behind by the old timers but no gold. there was also a lot of volcanic hot rocks in and I was running a mono coil.
so headed up to were the old timers quit stacking and started strafing the hillside.
Back and forth in wide sweeps, Bam, bullit? I dug through mostly just leaves and out flips the first nugget.

I see it,
wasn't that dirty and it was med-course maybe 2 DWT.

So I started heading up along the wash on the bank and the nuggets quit? I went up for about 50 feet and nothing? Hmmmm
Im still excited about the first one but I knew I needed to rethink this. so I went back to were I found the first one and headed straight up the side of the bank, back up toward the road. and bang, bang, bang,bang.
I start hitting them again. all of them shallow just under the leaves and inch or two of dirt, you could have found them with any detector!.
and maybe 3-5 feet apart right up in a straight line. I had found the line! Its not uncommon for nuggets line up heading down a hill if their bleeding out of a single pocket in the vein and the ridge is fairly steep.

I had found lines of nuggets in the past that turned to be no wider than 3-5 feet.
Anyway most of nuggets were med-rough so I knew I was close to the source, (the vein). I was hitting them one after the other. so far no trash once I got up out of the wash. Well I find myself right back up at the road, there is my bike.
I turn around, there is the vein running right across the road. I walk over to the edge of the road to look down and wham!!! I see this piece of quartz sticking out of the dirt so I pop it out of the ground and kick it aside, signal is gone? I swing over the quartz that I kicked aside and Wham!
Its blowin my headphones off?

I reached down pick it up and as Im rubbing off the dirt I see GOLD. Oh ya! there is gold shot all through it.
There it was, less than ten feet from my bike right on the side of the road.
I swung around in the road and no more nuggets or species. so Im off, headed for home.
I did a continuty test, It tested positive on all sides, the gold was all connected through the quartz. then I did a specific gravity on it and the results were about two ounces of gold.

The photo is faded but I think you can still see the gold.
Not a big patch but it was a great day. total was probably around 3-3.5 ozs.
and I had driven right past it several times in the past.
AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-98680100-1423798404_thumb.j

• Like 1

Bob you have beat the Punkin munger in the patch .

Here is a photo of some of the jewelry I made from some nuggets I found and a 5$ gold coin I found in an old placer dig up on a hillside.
that gold coin find was a real shocker. :D AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-33059500-1424035562_thumb.j

• Like 1

Bob,

That coin is a fantastic find, do you still have the gold coin?

Gold coins are more rare to find when detecting than gold nuggets, if a nugget is 1 out of every 100 targets, a gold coin would have to be 1 out of every 10,000, if not more, I for one wouldn't ever sell a gold coin if I found one, unless I could retire from selling it!!!

Bob,

That coin is a fantastic find, do you still have the gold coin?

Gold coins are more rare to find when detecting than gold nuggets, if a nugget is 1 out of every 100 targets, a gold coin would have to be 1 out of every 10,000, if not more, I for one wouldn't ever sell a gold coin if I found one, unless I could retire from selling it!!!

Au Seeker

I mounted it into a custom nugget necklace and sold it. But I have to say

the memories of finding it are priceless. I melted many of the small nuggets Ive found and cast them into

jewelry. here is one of the pieces I made and kept. its a triceratops with dino bone cab necklace.

AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-43188000-1424058808_thumb.j

• Like 1

Pretty cool Bob.

You are one talented individual. Perhaps a bit lucky too! Awesome stories and pictures, AzNuggetBob.

Well folks here is a little more eye candy. I found this one south of Tucson Az. a couple years ago.
Its a 4.79 ozs. Electrum nugget its a mix of silver,gold and platinum. It passed a 10k. test and failed a 14k. so probably around 12k.
around 40-50% gold the rest is silver and platinum. I call it natures white gold.
If you look close you can see the gold in the low spots on it were some of the other metals have leached away.
it has been cleaned. it was little darker grey when I found it.

I couldnt get a closer photo with my camera.
AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-58063200-1424124831_thumb.jpost-26382-0-42517200-1424124843_thumb.j

• Like 1

One of my favorites. I call it the chicken wing nugget. the white is caliche. the black is smokey quartz.

9-1/4 ozs. Az. nugget. AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-32810800-1424217291_thumb.jpost-26382-0-56474800-1424217342_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nice one Bob!

Their still out there Rim, just have to know where to look.

Well here is another patch.
I got an inside tip on this one so to speak.
Im in this real estate office and I'm thinking about building a house in the area and Im just shooting the breeze with this agent about prospecting.
He tells me about some newly devided lots he has and he was told that the area was worked by the old timers and was patented from old mining claims. Bingo! :idea:
So I ask do you mind if I go swing in there? sure he says laughing, just tell me were you find any gold so I can adjust the lot prices.

So I get in there and there is signs placering in several spots. there was drywash piles up on the ridge,wet wash piles down by the creek but I didnt see any signs of detector holes.
There was a fair amount of trash (relics) so I moved up higher in the gulches and
it wasnt long before the trash turned to treasure.

The nuggets were med-course so I knew the source was close but the place is brushy, manzanita and scrub oak. this is some tough stuff to hunt through when its thick.
after about three days Ive got about 1-1/2 ozs. of gold and a bucket load of trash. the higher I get the less the trash but the gold is crapping out too. anyway I show the real estate agent what Ive found he was shocked. Im sure there was alot of gold lower but I just didnt want to deal with all the trash.

post-26382-0-58095000-1424321206_thumb.j

So a few months later I'll never forget it was Christmas eve. dont know why just wanted to go hunting. so I go up there and I can see construction all around their clearing lots for and building houses.
Im thinking maybe I should go hit some of washes futher over and stay out of their way.
I had hit this wash before and the old timers worked the lower end but a lot of trash. by then Im standing there its starting to snow again, its wet cold and muddy
and Im thinking what an I doing here?

the snow is one or two inches deep. again I go up to get out of the trash and there were two little gullys that came together.
I get a light signal on the mound of gravel in the center between the two washes. I scrape off a few inches. no doubt their's someting there but I've already dug some deep trash in this area so Im not too excited.

I check the hole, Im down about a foot. still there? Im looking for rust. so I dig down some more.

Im hitting decomposed bedrock (schist) I check the hole, gone?
I swing over the pile and Wham! first hand full of dirt I got it and I feel the weight. I hand pan it over the coil and end up with a very heavy lump of clay. I rub it and see Gold!
I called it my Merry Christmas nugget. 3-1/2 ozs.
Here is a shot of it sitting on a railroad tie next to a penny.

post-26382-0-87328000-1424320953_thumb.j

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 3

Good story Bob and nice gold.

Nugget patch road?

Nice story and nugs Bob! Wonder what they did with the dirt after they leveled it off..hmmm.. :head: