Nugget Shooter Forums
azblackbird

My $45 Gold Vac

One of the things missing from my prospecting toolbox was a gold vacuum. There was no way in hell I was going to fork out $400 for a bucket and a motor from one of the prospecting stores... so I set out to make my own!

Echo PB2100 leaf blower purchased off Craigslist - $20

6 gallon shop vac with hose and attachments purchased off Craigslist - $10

black nylon stockings for dust filter from WalMart - $5

weather stripping for lid gasket from Ace Hardware- $4

5 inch PVC sleeve from Ace Hardware - $3

misc. nuts and bolts from Ace Hardware - $3

plywood for mounting motor to vac (already had) - $0

Time spent cleaning motor carb, using a Dremel tool to shape, drill, grind, and route all the plastic nubs and plywood so it would mount flush on the shop vac lid, and then assembling all the components to make a "factory" looking gold vac... priceless! :yesss:

goldvac.jpg

goldvac1.jpg

• Like 2

That is a beauty! Very professional and it'll suck the nugs right out of caliche?

Thanks for the design info.

Mitchel

AZB. One of these days your going to invent something, make millions of dollars, become arrogant, and we'll never hear from you again.

You will be missed.

Edited by klunker

Thanks for the design info.

No problem. I wanted something more than a top heavy bucket, thus the idea of using a shop vac (sans the wheels) to give me a little more stability. Sure I could've used a bucket and then filled it with rocks or gravel to weigh it down a bit to stabilize it, but then there goes half my volume. Kinda of defeats the purpose. :rolleyes:

AZB. One of these days your going to invent something, make millions of dollars, become arrogant, and we'll never hear from you again.

You will be missed.

I didn't invent anything... just expounded on an already existing product. :brows:

That is one really nice Job....

I sure sold a lot of them to desert ratz when in the OC mining biz. Them righteous Echo units ran every last drywasher we sold and numbered in the many many 100s. Paint filters last quite a bit longer than nylons and at about 4 for a buck at Home depot/Lowes/OSH or so a good value too. Great fab job and saving galore. Now get ya some a that yeller- :thumbsupanim John

OK, now that you made one for me, I'll bet the next one will even be better and cheaper!

• Like 2

Clean set up!

AZ has talent! Good job and thank you for sharing.

Great idea Gary! Really clean work as well.

That made me realize I have all that sitting in my garage right now just waiting to be put together.

Don't have the Echo, but I do have a Makita 4 stoke blower, got an extra shop vac, tons of hose&fittings,wood and nuts and bolts

Sweet!!!

Thanks for the great idea!

I think any vac larger than 5-6 gallons you will start running into air movement problems due to the increased tank volume. Of course if you have a 20hp - 20,000 rpm leaf blower motor, then the point would be moot. :action-smiley-068[1]:

• Like 1

I think any vac larger than 5-6 gallons you will start running into air movement problems due to the increased tank volume. ]:

Nope, but that filter on there will clog in a hurry ....

Edited by adam

The one i built has no air filter..... my intake angles down and to one side to get a swirling motion.Really nothing comes out the blower (exhaust) end. well maybe a small puff of dirt once in a while. I wish mine only cost $45 though as it's a great job you did

Joe

post-26225-0-58185100-1399339647_thumb.j

45 degree angle inside

post-26225-0-95894100-1399339649_thumb.j

post-26225-0-65937200-1399339644_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yo Joe Z,

I like how clean it looks...Consider raising the intake to as high as you can go on the bucket. You can vacuum longer , and will have a full bucket transfer when your full on the vacuum bucket. Oh and lose the crevice tool and the end piece so you can squeeze the hose by hand if needed. Just suggestions, my vacuum runs up to 9 hours a day so I`m kinda experienced

• Like 2

Very nice build

• Like 1

Will any gas powered leaf blower work or only certain brands or types?

The one i used above was the easiest for me but just look at any leaf blower .... picture a way to mount it good and strong and airtight to a Screw On Lid and with some imagination, other types can be used..... The reinforcement in the lid is important.

That's the first one i ever built and i'm Happy with it

AZBlackbird's build is Fantastic and a lot less money ...good thought went into that

Will any gas powered leaf blower work or only certain brands or types?

Pretty much all the homemade units I've seen have the Echo motors. I like them because they don't take much modifying to fit them to a bucket lid, or in my case to a shop vac. I only had to dremel off the intake screen on that particular motor to make it flush with the lid of the vac. Most of the newer Echo motors are the same way. Plus they're easy to work on and will usually fire up on the first or second pull.

• Like 1

That's the first one i ever built and i'm Happy with it

You did a nice job. As long as it sucks or blows, that's all that counts. :D

Thanks..... It does work good. Now i need to make some really small attachments to get them deep nooks and crannies.

Nice set up.