Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Melinda

Can a Crystal Grow Inside Another Crystal?

Hey everyone,

I went rock mining in Arkansas a few years back. It was just for fun as part of my Arkansas experience. One quartz crystal I found seemed to have another smaller quartz that formed in the center of the larger crystal and grew out of it. The local rock expert said that it wasn't possible for a crystal to grow inside another even though I had the proof in my hand. Is it possible and does it happen often?

In nature since the odds are infinite so almost anything can happen when it comes to crystals. Growing 1over another crystal or alongside is more common from what I've seen. Weather channel Prospectors show from Mt Antero(sp?) in Colorado has shown some righteous multi crystal combos of even different crystals grown within/on/out of. Rock on-John

Simple, the local rock expert was not an expert

A lot of quartz crystals here.....I see them quite often while beeping for gold.....

Out back the lake where my last patch is there are several different shapes of them....I like them all and usually end up with a pocket full to bring home. In fact there are several laying around here now.

For the most part the ones I've seen here are not as clear as the one above......I wish they were.

A somewhat Crystal Structure can start and be surrounded by another. The Inner one will still develop if it has what it needs to grow. Yes it can happen.

Just look rutilated Quartz. Pretty common

Yes, it can happen, and I wouldn't say its common, but i also wouldn't say its rare. Remember that quartz is a fluid when it forms, so you have a small crystal starting to form when a large crystal adjacent begins to form and engulfs the other. Atleast that's how i envision it. I've heard to them referred to as "Intruder" crystals.

This is a great source for anything and everything quartz.

http://www.quartzpage.de

specifically this page talks about inclusions, i havn't decided for myself if i would consider quartz inside of quartz being an inclusion though as it is the same parent mineral. Certainly up for debate.

http://www.quartzpage.de/inc_text.html

-Dave

I've seen Twinned Crystals that clearly show that one started and split and the first continued to grow around the first. Both going deferent directions.

Yep good o`l Phantom Quartz.....cool stuff !

Supermans secret hidden cave was made of crystals I'll have to watch the movie again.

Im gonna give Superman a call and see if we can collect in his house

One of Pegleg Crystal John's from Rye Patch:

post-781-0-54958500-1395532306_thumb.jpg