Nugget Shooter Forums

Rainbow Jelly Opal...

rainbow-opal-gemstoneJEFF9.jpg

Fire Opal

fire-opal-gemstoneJEFF-normal.jpg

Wow! The last one looks like clouds to me. Nice pics!

327772_1350259735.jpg

This is absolutely awesome

:yesss: that fire opal looks like the sun shining within storm clouds......amazing species for sure. El D could sure make something amazing with that dazzler for sure!!!!!John

Edited by Hoser John

I really like Welo opal but you have to be careful with it. It is a hydrophane opal meaning that it will readily adsorb and expel water. It will also absorb skin oils and discolor so when used is jewelry it should not be set in a fashion that allows skin contact. Getting it wet should be avoided and when wet it should be very slowly dried. I had a very big finished cab explode when I forgot it in my truck. I only forgot it for a couple hours but Arizona heat coupled with being fully hydrated caused disaster.

Subjecting any opal to high temps is no good!

My mom shattered a beauty doing dishes long ago as she forgot to remove it and pow gone..bummer-John

Bill, Opal is one of the gems I have always wanted to dig. Never had the chance though. Maybe a week trip to Virgin Valley some day....some day

Adam,

Years ago we could stop and dig small amounts of common opal in a road cut by Ocotillo. I bet you have driven by it many times. I recently stopped and could not even tell which vein it came from.

Ed

As I have time I will try to take pictures of some of my opal collection. unfortunately my photography skills are horrible and opal is a pain to photograph

The secret to photographing opals is to go wide open aperture. Depth of field is not your friend when capturing opal flash. The faster the lens the better.

Blue Opal from AU

1476465_618371411557035_1484072026_n.jpg

:yesss: BLUE :th: never seen or even heard of before-what is AU short for please??? Great thread going here thanx much :D John

:yesss: BLUE :th: never seen or even heard of before-what is AU short for please??? Great thread going here thanx much :D John

Australia John...

Blue opal with fire is pretty rare and I don’t think I have ever seen any as dark blue as that piece. I only know of two places that have blue opal with fire and that is Australia and Arizona. I have some from Arizona that I was lucky enough to dig with a former claim owner. It is not great but sure was nice to have had the opportunity to get some. There are several other locations that have blue opal without fire but it is still not common.

I had put this on quite a while back for ID...I still think it is a limb cast and possibly could hold some opal in it...The owner of the stone threw it in a tumbler with a bunch of misc. rocks and what he was left with was some mossy opalite, The tumbler and other rocks destroyed about 3/4s of the stone...so until I get some to cut and polish who knows what it may have turned out to be.....My mother has some fire opal from Gerlach (black rock dessert) given to her in the 70's from the mine owner I'll get some pictures today and post them tonight...

2012-04-16_07-29-32_568.jpg 2012-04-16_07-31-11_914.jpg

Yeah baby... Black rock opal, can't wait to see it

Got a friend says he is going to sent me some from Australia....

I meant Opal from the Black Rock Desert....

Ohhhh OK

Well my photobucket was messing uDSCF0817_zps7952354f.jpgp with the downloads..so posting to here...the opal is smaller than I remember,and didnt have good lighting inside or out but heres a try

Nice stuff!

All the pieces shown the clear and the blue with the red came from little joes opal mine outside of Gerlach nv.

Here is a Welo Opal I picked up at the Tucson Gem show....I wish the picture really showed it off better

post-1252-0-20798300-1396219447_thumb.jp

• Like 3