Nugget Shooter Forums
Au Seeker

Reference section for gold prospecting

I've started this topic as a place for anyone to post reference materials, historical books, maps, topos, mining documents, etc.

I'll start it off with this book recommend by Steve A.K.A. El Dorado...."Tertiary Deposits of the Sierra Nevada of California"

This is in a PDF file, it can be read online or downloaded.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cpYNAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=THE+TERTIARY+GRAVELS+OF+THE+SIERRA+NEVADA+OF+CALIFORNIA&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

• Like 2

Excellent.....

I have this one and really like it. Haven't found a pocket, but I won't blame the book...

THE ELUSIVE "POCKET GOLD" OF SOUTHWESTERN OREGON

by Tom (T.H.) Bohmker

this is a great book for beginners to professionals!

A TECHNICAL GUIDE: SEARCHING TECHNIQUES, HISTORY, UNDERSTANDING SMALL MINE WORKINGS & GEOLOGY, HARDROCK PAN TESTING, METAL DETECTING ADVICE FOR HARDROCK GOLD, WHERE TO GO.

• Like 1

It would be nice for all of us newbies to have a glossary of terms too. Or is there one that I missed? As an example what is "tertiary"? Haven't got a clue.

Ray

It would be nice for all of us newbies to have a glossary of terms too. Or is there one that I missed? As an example what is "tertiary"? Haven't got a clue.

Ray

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tertiary

Basically, tertiary is a time period. Turns out that for some reason or another that a bunch of placer gold hangs out in gravels made up of rock formed during the tertiary period in North America.

Ray

I did some searching for a good glossary of geological and mining terms/words, couldn't find a good one as of yet, I'll keep looking.

Tertiary is a time period, in relation to geology, it is rock from the Tertiary period, e.g. tertiary gravels, tertiary bedrock, the following is from one glossary, but I'm still looking for a better one.

http://www.theodora.com/geology/glossaryt.html

"Tertiary Period

The earliest Period of the Cenozoic Era, beginning about 66.4 million years ago and ending 1.6 million years ago. "

Bohmker has a couple of RIGHTEOUS books in his series that absolutely cannot be beat. Hands on true stories,history,locations,complete geological explainations. Never found a more complete series a books.I can guarantee ya 1 thing for sure ---You will both respect and envy his long life of walking the walk- :D John

• Like 1

:old:

I not sure how well this will load up these documents are dated 1889 & 1924 and not the easiest to read. If folks are interested these and others I can over time up load a few more. I have a large number of pdf documents from USGS Geology web site, if there is something specific let me know and (if this works) if I have it I'll added it to the forum. Also if odds "N" ends is not the one best location for this info then let me know which is.

Gold Fields of CA - 1889.pdf

Gold Placers of CA Bulletin 92 - 1923.pdf

• Like 2

:goodpost: I highly recommend the "CA Placer gold recovery methods". :yesss:

Very informative for beggiiners and a real good brush up for us old goomers. :olddude:

This thread is fricking golden.... :goodpost:

• Like 1

:old: The address below is to 9 training videos by Sprott Global Resource Investment titled Ore Deposits 101. These 9 part courses give an introduction to different ore deposit types in simple layman's terms. The web site notes there are 12 parts currently only 9 parts are posted. I have watched the first two videos and they are a little dry but loaded with some outstanding info.

Who is Sprott Global Resource Investments Ltd.? Sprott is a public natural resources investment management firm offering investments in precious metals, mining, oil and gas, alternative energy, forestry, agriculture, and/or water industries. Posting to advise folks about Sprott's training videos and nothing more, and comes via a commendation from a ICMJ's forum posting.

http://www.sprottglobal.com/natural-resource-investing/investment-university/

Cheers, Beers, and Gold

Chuck

I just got Advanced Prospecting and Detecting for Hard Rock Gold by Jim Straight. I haven't even gotten all the way through it yet but I guarantee it needs to be in this reference section.

• Like 1

So you think Jim's material should be free? All them years of knowledge cost something. You got a good deal and I haven't even read it yet. Jim's daMan IMO.

Edited by Rimshot

The item posted Telegraphic Mining Code was a tumble on while I was looking for other information and its bit on the interesting side. The first several pages are black outs and it seems nearly all the older posting I have found from the late 19th and early 20th century are like that. After the black out pages there are ads which are fun to read thru and afterwards you get into the meat of the book.

Telegraphic Mining Code - 1889.pdf

Enjoy

Cheers, Beers, & Gold

Chuck

KG6SYX

I'm not too sure this has a whole lot to do with prospecting but I image some where down the trail some one is going to tell me it does or could. So attached is a publication from 1919 about model making.

Model Making - 1919.pdf

Enjoy

Cheers, Beers, & Gold

Chuck

KG6SYX

MINING AND SCIENTIFIC PRESS VOL 107 JULY TO DECEMBER 1913.

This has a lot of great info from not only all mining districts in the USA but also the world, but probably more info than the average prospector is willing to read.

This is a PDF file and takes a while to load, there 1068 pages, it's very slow to view online even with high speed internet, but depending on your computer it's a little to a lot better once you have it downloaded to your computer, but if you have slow internet and or a slow computer I would advise to not attempt to view or download this file.

https://ia700404.us.archive.org/4/items/miningscientific107sanfuoft/miningscientific107sanfuoft.pdf

Has anyone found a way to overlay the "Public Land Survey" (Prime Meridian, Township, Range, & Sections) onto Google Earth?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick .....

Has anyone found a way to overlay the "Public Land Survey" (Prime Meridian, Township, Range, & Sections) onto Google Earth?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick .....

http://www.earthpoint.us/Townships.aspx