Nugget Shooter Forums
grubstake

Your Best Non Nugget find?

Here's mine: Wife and I used to go all the time in the winter to my Uncles house in Monterey, I'd got night hunting with him on the beach, Well My wife and I had a little thing we would do on the way over. I'd ask her: Well what kind of ring do you want me to find you this time? And she w2ould tell me. Most times I would find atleast one ring. So she says: Fine me a RUBY and Diamond ring. So we get to my uncles, and after we ate, I told my uncle I have to find Dorthy a RUBY and Diamond ring this time. Around Midnight, we wnt out, To Carmel beack, Parked in lot. We both got our detectors out, and Walked over to the sand, I put my detector coil on the ground, put my headphones on, and turned the Soverine on, It made a heck of a sound, blew my ears off. I said: What now1 And checked my batteries to see if I had problems. They were ok, so I turn the detector back on, Same thing, it blew my ears off. I moved the coil over and turned it back on, No sound, just the threshold, So I checked the Spot where it blew my ears off: Beep Beep, I took my sand scoop, And dug down, Well what do you know! A Ruby and Diamond ring, 14KT as a matter of fact with Burma Rubies. Worth around $500.00 bucks so the Jewler says. Grubstake

post-291-0-08218200-1392418222_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's a great story Grubby, thanks for bringing it in today...a lady would kill for a ring like that.... :ROFL: .Gosh, the best non-nugget find, that's a tough one. But I would say it would be the 1898 Liberty head five dollar gold coin. Than ..hahah the Chinese opium damper scrapper, sterling silver with an etching of a poppy. So many more but i will stop. :4chsmu1:

• Like 1

I say that's my best find, because, it made my wife so happy, Now I did find a 1811 French 20 Frac coin {gold} at Bagby, and a PA Can with three half dollars in it, 1871, 1869 and 1868, down at Bagby also, and a miners catche with 4 5gallon lard cans full of stuff, But that ring just happens to be the one that made my wife so happy, and she still has it. Grubstake

• Like 1

Like most who have detected for ever it seems it's so hard to choose.My #1 silver speci maybe? 20 oz.post-26859-0-74260900-1392421635_thumb.j but that isn't my #1 silver this 9lb troy is post-26859-0-04161400-1392421815_thumb.j

• Like 3

Kelly?
You gonna bring some silver to the next outing with Bill?
Would be nice to see and slobber over :)
Tom H.

Tom it could happen,I had planned that at the last outing put a wrench was tossed in my plans.Will try again in march.Will have some small ones for sell and some nise copper speci's too.

Edited by kelly starkey

Hey Grubby, that ring is cools .. And it came with it's own paper clip...Double magic!!! Cheers, Unc

My best find while going after nuggets was an 1852 California Gold 1/2 Dollar. But found with a dredge not a beeper

• Like 1

Too bad you couldn't have found the other half! Ha! hA! jUST Kidding Steve, Good find! Grubstake

There are alot of cool nice finds thanks all for posting get to see what is possible with a little luck and getting out swingin'

Guess mine would be a gold pocket watch chain I found in Quartzsite.

Up on the bank of a wash by some old DW piles.

Tom H.

post-25308-0-76707200-1392493729_thumb.j

• Like 2

A half OZ of salt size gold under one rock I spent 6 hours moving. Ye, I like stuff that goes Boom but I did that one with Grunt and poles. Rolled it UP Stream and dug under it. There was more, I'm sure but did what I could do. It was only a foot of water at the time. Sad, Sad! Sold it for like $400 back then.

I had just found a very productive patch and ended up loosing my vile out of my pocket. I had to name the patch Empty Pocket Patch. The next time i went i found a 1898 silver dime,worth about three dollars. So it really is a empty pockets patch because someone lost that silver dime a long time ago.

• Like 1

last week i got a 1944 copper penny from change at wallmart . manny years back found a childs diamond ring from la mirada at stage rd park , of course my daughter lost it . historical farm still in the park

Lot of cool finds, I know there is more keep them coming. Tom, I like that chain. Grubstake

What I think is my best find was found on the floor at a local bar under the bar stool I was sitting on, it was a very old diamond ring, I gave the bartender my name and number and told him if someone came back in and lost something of value around the area I was sitting to have them call me.

Well a lady called me and told me she had lost her great great grandmother's ring that was handed down through the family's generations and eventually to her and was hoping it was what I had found, she describe the ring to me and we met at a local restaurant so I could return the ring, she was elated and I got a fine dinner along with the great feeling that she had her great great grandmother's ring back for my good deed, IMHO no other treasure can match that!!

I had just found a very productive patch and ended up loosing my vile out of my pocket. I had to name the patch Empty Pocket Patch. The next time i went i found a 1898 silver dime,worth about three dollars. So it really is a empty pockets patch because someone lost that silver dime a long time ago.

I can top your loss on that one. LOL I put a vial with about 1/4 oz in my crap pocket with a Obsidian Arrow head I found. Buttoned it up and all. In less then a half hour both was gone.

Must stay away from that area....sounds like something is sucking peoples pockets dry :)

Tom H.

What I think is my best find was found on the floor at a local bar under the bar stool I was sitting on, it was a very old diamond ring, I gave the bartender my name and number and told him if someone came back in and lost something of value around the area I was sitting to have them call me.

Well a lady called me and told me she had lost her great great grandmother's ring that was handed down through the family's generations and eventually to her and was hoping it was what I had found, she describe the ring to me and we met at a local restaurant so I could return the ring, she was elated and I got a fine dinner along with the great feeling that she had her great great grandmother's ring back for my good deed, IMHO no other treasure can match that!!

Now thats a good one! Great to get it back to her.

Tom H.

:4chsmu1: Wife #3 was my best find as she produced kid #4 and he's the best a the whole klan,so ya that works for me as 8 years a bliss went by like 8 days. #2 married 4 years seemed like 44 in purgatory :old: good times NOT-John .

Edited by Hoser John

I don't relic hunt and have only been detecting a couple years so my best non-gold find would be this crevassing tool I found outside of Breckenridge, CO.

post-27032-0-85069800-1392605991_thumb.j

• Like 1

I can top your loss on that one. LOL I put a vial with about 1/4 oz in my crap pocket with a Obsidian Arrow head I found. Buttoned it up and all. In less then a half hour both was gone.

You guys are killing me with the lost gold.

Maybe we should start another topic... Best/Lost find, lol.

My best non gold find was a lead package stamp (kinda like people use wax on a letter) with the wires still in it. Had a personal stamp from NY and was dated 1856. Found it in The Dale. Lost it an hour later :cry2:

I once found a 1903 Half Eagle, two Dale Saloon tokens, and two E. L. Smith & Co. (Amboy) tokens (Kappen's discovery piece) only inches apart. Way cool. My detecting buddy's terse comment was "Looks like you're buying lunch."

• Like 1

My best non gold find was a 1797 large cent-but I also found a 1932 d quarter in a little wood box wrapped up in cloth in mint state which is a key date-there were also other coins with it :head: -I need to get it graded one of these days-one sold for 89000 :yikes: heres hoping :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C... :200:

I'll give you a Dollar for that old quarter , Mike, Wouldn't you rather have a nice krisp, dollar bill? Ha! Ha! Grubstake