Nugget Shooter Forums
mn90403

Meteorite Research, Resources, Identification, etc.

Is this an iron-nickel in a meteroite.

DSC00655.JPG

35 minutes ago, Jimale said:

Is this an iron-nickel in a meteroite.

No it isn't.

39 minutes ago, Jimale said:

Dark exterior and pale interior have a look

Looks like a granite.

Please stop posting pictures of terrestrial rocks in this forum.

Edited by Mikestang

I don't think am deliberately posting terrestrial rocks, am just sharing my finds with the members,  and if am offending someone by posting them, am sorry then,  however,  I thought this was a public forum for learning meteorites but if its personal, then I will switch to the rock section.

For the last time give me the Chance to share with  other members with my new finds.

We need to learn, learning doesn't stop, here

DSC00738.JPG

DSC00788.JPG

These two sites can help you figure out if a suspected Meteorite is worth further investigations.

http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

https://meteorites.asu.edu/meteorites/meteorite-id

They help me.

HF

3 hours ago, Jimale said:

For the last time give me the Chance to share with  other members with my new finds.

They're just rocks though, and this is a meteorite forum.  If you want to share photos of rocks there is a mineral forum here.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?/forum/6-rocks-minerals-and-fossils-forum/

Edited by Mikestang

Found 2 possible meteorites in Taos, New Mexico with my Neodymium magnet...please look at this first find....sucks to Magnet well..

IMG_0365.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0374.PNG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

I think they both look very promising. I wouldn't post the location where you found it. That's something you want to keep to yourself.

I live in Tennessee and believe I have found a very rare meteorite. 

Before you say slag, it is non magnetic. The owner of a scrap yard took a tiny piece of my sample to a friend of his, who had some sort of gun like instrument, that identifies certain metals.

He said it didn't read as a metal and something about that it contained sand.

Ive been looking through pictures of meteorites with vesicles and Regmaglypts and fusion crust, and I think my rock has those.

i found images of a couple that are large like mine and shaped like mine, found in my region. 

Was one large piece. Bust it into 4 pieces with split ax because I believed it to be PGM's before I did meteorite. The fusion crust is only on one end. Vesicles are from fusion end, to half way through, then none.

Here are some pictures, but  the sun was going down, so the lighting is kinda bad.

what do y'all think?

Screenshot_20171218-135634.png

Screenshot_20171218-062836.png

Screenshot_20171218-062847.png

Screenshot_20171218-062631.png

Screenshot_20171218-062648.png

Edited by Kellygirl
Added on

I have a rock that seems like a meteorite to me, I took it to the school of mines in Golden CO and they couldn’t identify it. It’s mostly iron with cobalt and nickel, it is insanely hard and it took 30 minutes with their best rock saw to cut through about 1 square inch. I was wondering if anyone can ID it for me.

It seems to have crystals formed on the surface and the cut end seems to be the “front” of it as it fell since the “crystals” seem melted a bit. The “back” shows the octahedron crystal structure better and without any ripples or deformation.

6BF8A385-ECEE-4885-8D50-ACC5C7CB8A3B.jpeg

5A45615C-01B5-4D31-BF9A-F448A98F1174.jpeg

56556F5A-110F-4992-AC1B-0036C8E7E173.jpeg

Terrestrial, not a meteorite; they do not have crystalline structure like that.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found this with a metal detector in Roosevelt County New Mexico yesterday. It sticks very strongly to my magnet and it does not leave a streak on ceramic but it only weighs 3 grams. Should I get this one looked at?

20180111_114240.jpg

20180111_114246.jpg

20180111_115752.jpg

20180111_120558.jpg

Can you grind a small window in it to show the interior?  Has a good look to it, worth investigation.

13 hours ago, bryanbarnes said:

I found this with a metal detector in Roosevelt County New Mexico yesterday. It sticks very strongly to my magnet and it does not leave a streak on ceramic but it only weighs 3 grams. Should I get this one looked at?

20180111_114240.jpg

20180111_114246.jpg

20180111_115752.jpg

20180111_120558.jpg

I like this one to Mike and a window says a lot. AzNuggetBob