Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

christiesweet

Does it look like gold to you?

I am thinking yes, but of course I have this nagging doubt. I do have mica (not displayed) but it is pretty easy to tell with it bc the layered flakes break right off... It is very brittle. What I have here, this gold(?) is much more malleable. It bends. You can leave dents in it. I am waiting for my acid kit, and hopefully the acid will dissolve off some of the dirt and clay that is still attached.

I found it laying on top of my dirt (Paulding County, GA)... I wonder if there could be nuggets somewhere. Where do people typically find nuggets? I know that I have quartz with gold inside. I need to figure out how to dissolve the crystal around the gold... Will the acid that I am getting to test it work? It is just an inexpensive kit I found on amazon.

I like the pink gold pan!

If it is gold they are the funniest looking flakes I have ever seen. But if they bend and dent and are the heaviest thing in the pan i suspect it is gold.

Kinda looks like 2 alloys of gold foil. Goldsclagerite or Appliquesomite.

Sorry, No way no how that is gold. Mica will flex and dent with just a fingernail.

. Goldsclagerite or Appliquesomite.

Geezzzzz Bob :rolleyes::D

There are mica flakes definitely, I pulled a bunch out that were really brittle. Is it possible that mica and gold can be mixed together, as the ones I felt were gold are very thin, and when wet, even bend when pulled out of the water against the weight of the water (the very thin ones). They just naturally bend around my tweezers or finger. Also, I thought that the constant shine was indicative of gold, as apposed to glitter... Keep in mind too that these are not very clean, as I pulled them from the red clay here, and getting that junk off is NOT easy! Can you perhaps give me an idea of obvious differences between gold flakes and mica flakes? I thought that gold was the only thing that wrote in gold. Apologies, I am just trying to understand... :)

Well, whatever it is, it is inside some of my quartz, and mixed up through all of my clay. It holds the sun and is very pretty :) Dirty... I am at a loss on how to clean it, but pretty.

Listen to Adam he knows and is famous. Looks like mica. You cant just go bending and denting gold really easy. If you do bend it it stays bent and does not bound back to the way it was.

Christie, you have not mentioned whether you compared the movement of your golden flakes to the movement of known metallic particles when gently swirled in a pan of water. Such a simple test is based on some commonly accepted concepts of science (gravity and mass). Just to digress a moment to explain myself:

Gold is known to have roughly 19 times the weight of an equal volume of fresh water on Planet Earth, i.e., one cc of pure gold is equal in weight to about 19 cc of water. This ratio is known as specific gravity, i.e., pure gold has a specific gravity of about 19. Lead has a specific gravity of 11. Copper, on the other hand, has a specific gravity of almost 9 (approximately one-half that of gold). Iron pyrite is lighter still, i.e., it has a specific gravity of 5. Thus, if you can shave off some slivers of copper (from ordinary scrap extension cords) or from lead (a fishing weight, for example), then you can place them along with comparable pieces of you golden flakes into your gold pan, add water and begin to swirl it all around. If the golden flakes are more easily moved by the water, then likely they are pyrite. On the other hand, if they resist the water better than the other pieces of metal, they likely are gold. In nature gold is combined with other metals. This makes it somewhat lighter than pure gold, but still heavier than lead or copper.

Try it and let us know the result.

Christie,

Try the test that Martin/Micro Nugget suggested, with either lead or copper compared to the "gold", try and make the metal pieces about the same size of the pieces of "gold" that you think you have and let us know the results when you swirl the two materials in a pan of water, use only enough water to barely cover the material.

That being said, I afraid that I don't see any gold in your pictures, at the first 2 pictures, the material in the jar appears to be mica, as well as the piece on your finger, the material in the red container needs to be a close-up to judge what it is.

Their are many minerals that will leave a yellow/golden streak besides gold.

Skip

I like the pink hat !

A jeweler would be able to tell you what you have. And if it's mixed in quartz it may have more value left in the quartz..

Adam is famous ? He's not a Cartwright from the Big Valley is he ? I heard he could shovel like Hoss :4chsmu1:

Well thanks, y'all.

Micro, I haven't done that test yet, but I was reading about the weight of gold today. What a trip!

I am waiting on my supplies. I have a panning set coming, and also an acid test kit. I mean, I am thinking I'll just melt the frikkin mica. Grr. Mica. I don't like!! If it is possible for gold and mica to mix, I feel that it is likely that I have some mica and some gold, but if it is unlikely, then I'll just kill it all! bwahahahaha! (there is no devil face, so insert devil face here!)

Depending upon whether I get my acid or my pan first, I will test accordingly.

All of that aside, I sure love playing in the dirt! It would be great to find something of value, but even if I don't, I doubt that I will stop doing it. ;) I guess it is a bit of an addicting hobby. One of my friends has garnets all over his backyard. Being that I make jewelry, maybe I can still find a way to make it profitable, but if not... well whatever!

I wonder what to do with the quartz. Right now I have a holy ton on my back deck. I need to move it somewhere or do something with it. Heck if I know. Good grief!

Thanks again, you guys! I will let you know how the testing goes ;)

Oh, and I am glad you like all of my pink stuff! hahahaha! It seems like I am the only female in these parts... What's up with that? Or maybe y'all guys are just the most helpful, either way, I am tipping my hat to ya!

Have a GOLDEN night!

You should have sent some to boulderdash. He collects mica and micacious shist from all over the country. You may call him a pegmatite guru, also he has a display case at the Smithsonian showing off all his fine and rare specimens of mica. Pretty sure he does not have a mica book from Paulding County, GA, though I may be wrong.

Join up with a local yokel small club and you'll banish them newbie blues,mistakes and dead ends. You'll meet some great folks who are always more than glad to share both equipment,knowledge and techniques. John :yesss:

Well thanks, y'all.

Micro, I haven't done that test yet, but I was reading about the weight of gold today. What a trip!

I am waiting on my supplies. I have a panning set coming, and also an acid test kit. I mean, I am thinking I'll just melt the frikkin mica. Grr. Mica. I don't like!! If it is possible for gold and mica to mix, I feel that it is likely that I have some mica and some gold, but if it is unlikely, then I'll just kill it all! bwahahahaha! (there is no devil face, so insert devil face here!)

Depending upon whether I get my acid or my pan first, I will test accordingly.

All of that aside, I sure love playing in the dirt! It would be great to find something of value, but even if I don't, I doubt that I will stop doing it. ;) I guess it is a bit of an addicting hobby. One of my friends has garnets all over his backyard. Being that I make jewelry, maybe I can still find a way to make it profitable, but if not... well whatever!

I wonder what to do with the quartz. Right now I have a holy ton on my back deck. I need to move it somewhere or do something with it. Heck if I know. Good grief!

Thanks again, you guys! I will let you know how the testing goes ;)

Oh, and I am glad you like all of my pink stuff! hahahaha! It seems like I am the only female in these parts... What's up with that? Or maybe y'all guys are just the most helpful, either way, I am tipping my hat to ya!

Have a GOLDEN night!

Well playing in the dirt , If you cant find Gold :grr01: Theres always gardening :cry2: or a better paying way :nutty: MUD WRESTLING :yesss::evil1::4chsmu1::brows:

Pretty simple test: Fool's Gold/Mica/Pyrite winks at you in the sunlight ... :action-smiley-068[1]: Gold constantly smiles ... :4chsmu1: Cheers, Unc

The thing that tells me it's not gold is the flakes in the shade don't glow
enough. A gold flake will shine in direct sunlight and shade. When moving
Mica back and forth from shade to sunlight, it is much less shiny when not
in the sun. Sometimes, the gold colored mica will turn black when looked at
a different angle.

This is a post with some pictures of gems and a gold nugget found in the GA
area.
http://www.goldprospectors.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30117&title=very-co
ol-pics-from-today

GaGa Gold Guy is the designer for Gold Hog matting and is based out of GA.
To get those gems he posted, he probably moved tons which is hundreds of
buckets of material using his 5" dredge. The smaller gold should look the
same color as the nugget. If you notice how shiny all the nugget is, even
in the shaded areas, that's what your looking for to tell its not Mica.

What some of the other posters are trying to say is that gold will always have the same look in shade or sun. Mica will flash in the sun and get you all excited. Take a pan full and run it into the sun, then into the shade and watch how it acts.

After a short time prospecting you'll learn to discern mica from gold with no problems. That a pretty early step in learning.

Doesn't it suck that you thought you had something that turned out to be nothing? Really, I hate that when it happens.

What state you in?