Nugget Shooter Forums
frank c

ODD GOLD NUGGETS

Mike,

I thought when the gold is kinda cubic looking, it's called a special name. Or maybe there's a name as to how it formed that way. Oh well, maybe not, but I sure do like the way it looks.

Rim

It is a very beautiful piece for sure ... maybe someone can give you the name you're looking for ... maybe a geological term that hasn't hit my limited geology center in my brain! If I had to give it a term it I might say faceted gold ...

Mike F

Is there a special name for the nug top/middle?

Rim your right the shape does have a name but I can't think of it either.....bet El D. knows.....I would to just

call it "mine"!

Thanks for all the photos guys and keep them coming. I wish I had taken some photos of my finds. You would have gotten a kick out of a couple of them.

Steve

It is a very beautiful piece for sure ... maybe someone can give you the name you're looking for ... maybe a geological term that hasn't hit my limited geology center in my brain! If I had to give it a term it I might say faceted gold ...

Mike F

Thank's Mike! I think that's the word I was looking for.

Rim

Mike,

I thought when the gold is kinda cubic looking, it's called a special name. Or maybe there's a name as to how it formed that way. Oh well, maybe not, but I sure do like the way it looks.

Rim

I think the proper term is "Octagonal Crystal Gold". :idunno:

I stole that term from Chris Ralph's website, you can see a similar piece but without quartz at this link, 3rd picture down.

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/gold_specimen/Natural_gold2.htm

Well AU, how do you think Chris comes up with the word Octagonal? I see nothing there to suggest 8 sides? I do see facets there that suggest pentagonal.hmmm??? :89:

RS,

Chris is a trained mining engineer, so I guess he knows more than I do as to what to call certain types of gold. :idunno:

It seems to be safe to call it gold crystals, whether they're octagonal, cubic, pentagonal, or any other geometric shape.

Here's a link to Mindat's gold photo gallery, many types of gold and specimens, a true treat to look at all of the 1794 photos!!!

http://www.mindat.org/gallery.php?cform_is_valid=1&min=1720&cf_pager_page=1

Feel free to call these what ever you want to post-300-0-13446400-1353457133_thumb.jpg I call them "mine"....

Found this in a dry wash digs.....thought posting it would be approiate for the Thanksgiving

hollidays....post-300-0-04309000-1353581936_thumb.jpg

There have been some beautiful nuggets to look at posted here.

I am gearing up to go out in the field for awhile so I hope I can drum up some new nugs to look at.

I've got the FEVER BAD, so its time to get goin an start beepin :yesss:

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hey John B,

Don't you have a few cool shaped nuggets, how about sharing them with the new guys here that haven't seen them?

post-86-0-16171000-1353814589_thumb.jpg

Don't know what to call this one....post-300-0-88130900-1353843019_thumb.jpg

Don't know what to call this one....post-300-0-88130900-1353843019_thumb.jpg

Garimpo,

It's Sunday and a good name for it would be Jesus. Up top center I see his face. :rolleyes:

Rim