Nugget Shooter Forums
jim straight

Jim Straight here

Thanks.... I'm not compaining or seeking sympathy... This is not a "Dear Me." Stuff happens.

I'm doing great.

I'm truly glad to be able to again access on this fourm again... There are a lot of positive and

informative posts that I have missed....You "guys" are great. Thank You Bill for making this happen.

Jim

You are welcome my friend and thank you for setting me on the path to gold some 20 years back!

Bill... It is not widely known that I'm a 1954 graduate of Mackay School of mines with a

BS Degree in Geolgical Engineering. I was born in the copper camp of Ely Nevada and

graduated from White Pine High School (Ely) in 1948... Back in 1945 during a summer

I worked underground for Sam Robinson ( a close family friend) on one of his leases from

Consolidated Copper Mines. I was small but heavy and ran a jackleg drill. Several times

I opened the air control valve too fast and found myself "backward" to be polite... But

I persevered and soon got the hang of it.... $1.00 hour good pay for a 15 year old kid.

But back then a 17 year old could drop out of school and work at the smelter/concentrator

at McGill.

To get to the point, during my early years as a geologist I was a "small" mining consultant

(moonlighting). The basin range provence is known for hundreds of Epithemal precious metal

deposits associated with the mountain building and vulcanism that occured during the

Miocene and Pliocene. With this in mind over the years I have been most interested in

Epithemal deposits forming eluvial placers and how to detect them.

So now Bill, ol' Friend to get you started for the next 20 years, I highly recommend you get

a copy of "GOLD AND SILVER DEPOSITS OF THE BASIN AND RANGE PROVENCE

WESTERN U.S.A."

Arizona Geological Society Digest Volume XV (1984) Arizona Geological Society

Publications; P0 Box 40952 Tucson Arizona 85719... It is out of print but used copies

are available pretty reasonable. It is pretty technical and not much in demand.

It covers not only epithermal deposits within the Great Basin and Mohave block;

but also the Porphry Copper Block and the Reo Grande Rift... A vast area "fish-

tailing through parts of Oregon, Idaho, Utah, California, Nevada, Arizona, New

Mexico, Texas and Colorado..... My Best jim straight

I will do just that Jim.... Thanks.

Jim,

To put it in a nutshell, what makes epithermal deposits different then others? Is there more gold in epithermal deposits? Bigger nugget's? Bigger veins? Just a rookie asking '... :tisk-tisk:

Rim

Rimshot, both Jim Straight and Chris Ralph have published some wonderful paperback books on this subject of yours and much,much, more is included that will help you to start to get a basic understanding of Mother Earths creations.

Jim,

To put it in a nutshell, what makes epithermal deposits different then others? Is there more gold in epithermal deposits? Bigger nugget's? Bigger veins? Just a rookie asking '... :tisk-tisk:

Rim

Yup Rim, you are asking one of the best and he even loves talking about deposit types and.... I read Jim's book follow the drywashers (Nugget Shooters Bible) many moons ago and gained an instant understanding of my mission. One of the highlights of my nugget shooting career was meeting and becoming friends with Jim plus he is a dandy teacher. We are very lucky he visits here and shares his knowledge!

Another one of my idols in Reg Sniff and he gave me the magic to understand the language of the PI detector many years back, there are more but these 2 are able to teach magic if one takes the time to listen....

Reg and I are old friends... You will find him posting on Finds TDI Classroom forum...

Back about six to ten plus years ago I wrote freelance for the ICMJ. I was deep into Epithermal

placers--- and the feasibilty of metal detecting for them... One of my articles was a feature

article and it is available by google or directly from the ICMJ... Although written about

12 years ago. It was published in the ICMJ Dec. 2000~~ Vol. 70. No. 4.~~ It is now widely

read by those who find it on Google...

Try a google search.... "Epithermal Ore Deposits Assocated with Tertiary Volcanism...

And the Feasiblity of Metal Detecting for Them."

For those who have any copy of "ADVANCED..." all of the various editions since the first printing

in April 1996 have information on epithermal placers...The laterest September 2010 is "heavy on

Epithemal Tertiary Deposits, and also has an appendix on Meteorites. (Maybe Bill sells this in his

store?)

As a matter of interest, those that have, or can get a copy of the (current August issue~~

Volume 46 August 2012) of Western & Eastern Treasures magazine ;I have a short article

on pg 46-47-48... "Ellie And The Boulder Of Gold."

I believe it a good read about Ellendale as an example of a small epithermal ore deposit. (Today

it may be being drilled by a major mining company as many epithermal precious metal ore

deposits are found to be a CARLIN-type at depth....)

Thanks Bill... jim

Welcome back Mr. Straight, I also have a copy of your book "Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold" and have enjoyed reading it. I think one thing about the Basin & Range epithermal deposits that is worth mentioning is that the deposits have a pretty reasonable likelihood of being overlooked since the occurrences have potential to be small and isolated, at least that is my impression, someone can correct me if I am wrong, or expound upon that, plus the Basin and Range area is such a massive area in the Western U.S. I doubt every nook and cranny has been explored, at least not thoroughly with a detector. Found this link to purchase the geological publication and thought I would share it, it's the 5th one down:

http://www.azgs.az.gov/publist_4.shtml

bigrex.... You have caught the essence of the ADVANCED and thank you for posting the link on

how to find the link to az government publications....

Now a big favor, I'm limited to posting links on the forums... Could you google/bling or another search

engine for "metal detecting within the cordillera by author jim straight."

It is the feature article: www.icmj2.com/01jan01janFeature.htm ~~~ this article has been widely read by those

using various search engines.... I really thank the folks at the ICMJ for using about 30 or more of my articles.

But all good things end... My sojurne(spelling) with the ICMJ was great. I especially thank Sally Harn...

Thanks everone... jim straight

rim...Thanks... I always had to type in and send "Epithermal Ore Deposits Associated

with Tertiary Volcanism" to a search engine such as bing or google. The technical terms

such as "hypothermal, mesothermal and epithermal' are now becoming dated by current

writers. Many new terms such as low/high sulphidation... (sulfidation is now the current

spelling)....

We now live i exciting times... as more is known regarding the various epithermal-type

ore deposits the more is being found...bigrex explains this very well... as an example

i have known of an epithemal placer that was only about 140 ft x 10 ft. A goup of 5

prospectors on line using varous metal detectors stumbled into it and within 45 minutes

recovered 3.5 pounds of 'speci'... short wires in a iron matrix.... about 60% gold. The

biggest "nugget" found was by Dean Chapman and the "mass" was about 16-17 ounces

So if seeking for a epithermal placer being first is essental and being 20 ft to eithe the

righr or left is a miss.... the oldtimer prospectors knew this, and called it "hit and miss"

pocket hunting.

Jim,

I read an article a few months ago but I forget who wrote it and it sounded a lot like what you are talking about but it was like kidney type pockets that branch out along side of the mountain. But you are saying this is more like a straight line of pocket. I take it these types are not related.

Thank's for the info though.

One of these days if you see a man running around the mountain looking like a fool it will probably be me... :hahaha:

Rim

Rim... Could be(?) . Epithemal ore deposits are known to be found in what is called a "Pod."

There could be a stringer of pods. The distance between a pod varies and they are

known to be connected with a barren "vein." I know of one pod; it was described as

"bathtub" size....

The mass was sent directly to a refiner. No indvidual "speci" samples of the pod were

allowed to be sold, but a few were bootlegged to the Tucson (spelling) show. I have

no details of this... just a rumor.. .

Thank's Jim.

I finally found the article I was looking for and as long as you have been a prospector you probably already know this guy.

http://www.goldgold.com/pocket-hunting-for-gold.html

Interesting that you brought up the distance between pods. This guy seems to think he can walk right to the next pod location. I guess if anyone can experience this several times, they can get good at guessing where the next location will be.

Have a great day!

Rim

Hello Jim, wondered if you were still around! I got that "Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold" before taking my first prospecting trip to Arizona. I think you suggested to try looking in Indiana first.

Howdy Red Desert, that I did. Since you live in Indiana, I thought you should check out the

local Indiana placer possibilities. According to the GPAA claims guide and oter sources,

Indiana is getting better known for both placer gold and diamonds. They are the result of

continental glaciation during the "ice-age" which deposited both gold and some diamonds

from unknown sources in Canada.

As time passes streams draining through the glacial moraine gravels are slowly getting

better known for carrying placer. True, much is small-sized but nuggets as large as 2.5

ounces have been reported (GPAA Claims guide) in Martinsville (Morgan County) and

Bloomington (Monroe County). The latest GPAA claims guide has considerable (6-pgs)

of information on both Indiana gold and diamond finds. Also some information on lost

treasures and gem locations... Best wishes... jim

Good to have ya back and active Jim your input was missed.... My book will arrive Tuesday and I may have some questions :D

Hey Jim, it's going to take a little time but I bet you already feel years better. I had a hip replaced in Dec that I had needed for 4 years earlier. Just be carefull not to over extend or bend in the wrong way and pop that puppy out of the socket.

I had a good Doc and good hospital care.

Take some time and go carefully.

Good luck Wyndham

Howdy Red Desert, that I did. Since you live in Indiana, I thought you should check out the

local Indiana placer possibilities. According to the GPAA claims guide and oter sources,

Indiana is getting better known for both placer gold and diamonds. They are the result of

continental glaciation during the "ice-age" which deposited both gold and some diamonds

from unknown sources in Canada.

As time passes streams draining through the glacial moraine gravels are slowly getting

better known for carrying placer. True, much is small-sized but nuggets as large as 2.5

ounces have been reported (GPAA Claims guide) in Martinsville (Morgan County) and

Bloomington (Monroe County). The latest GPAA claims guide has considerable (6-pgs)

of information on both Indiana gold and diamond finds. Also some information on lost

treasures and gem locations... Best wishes... jim

Well, you might be surprised what can be found on your own property. Didn't have far to go, was just outside the window, in the flower bed.

post-21285-0-00468400-1342488298_thumb.j

post-21285-0-11522200-1342488335_thumb.j

post-21285-0-34986500-1342488370_thumb.j

post-21285-0-40636500-1342488420_thumb.j

post-21285-0-89382400-1342488454_thumb.j

Howdy Red_desert.... are you by chance located near one of the many major or

minor Indiana glacial moraine deposits, or a moraine terminous. ?

Rimshot... going back to your post #40, I checked your link about "pocket hunting for

gold." It was written by Dave Tossaint. I hunted with Dave back whem he was working

for Fisher (Los Banos) when Mr. Lewellen was still CEO. We spent about a week

north of Tungsten Nevada several other Fisher Reps. Dave was Fishers Technical

writer and wrote many articles both freelance and for Fisher.

David writes about Preston Vickery while in northen Nevada. It sure seems to be

from what Mr. Vickery tells David that he (Mr. Vickery) was finding epithermal pods.

While the term "epitihermal" is not mentioned, the disciptions seem to indicate he

was locating pods.

Another very successful pocket-miner is George Duffy Jr. who is well known in

Lovelock Nevada. George has found over 100 pockets. The largest was 40 ounces

(Reference ICMJ vol 74, No. 1; September 2004 issue.

Jim,

Thank you very much for your time. When I read stories like that I get a severe case of "Gold Fever." :rolleyes: And I have a feeling some of the guys on this message board have experienced the "epithermal pods" as well. The articles referring to them definitely are the most exciting I have ever read.

Now i'm going to go look for Mr.Duffys article.

Thank's again Jim for the info!

Rim

Greeting one and all,

What an interesting and informative topic. Got'a love it.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Happy Hunting.

Bob

Rimshot... back issues are available. The article regarding George Duffy is in "picks and pans" in the

ICMJ vol 74 No. 1~~~ September 2004... I'm embarrassed to say I wrote it and forget the article title.

"Howdy Red_desert.... are you by chance located near one of the many major or

minor Indiana glacial moraine deposits, or a moraine terminous. ? "

Yes I am! It's close enough to the Indiana/Michigan border in Elkhart county. The location is about 3-4 miles east of Wakarusa.

Wakarusa is better known for the electric car company, part of Obama's green energy plan.

Fox 28 News

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=11953370