Nugget Shooter Forums
jim straight

Jim Straight here

Bill are you out there? Suddenly I was able to get on your forum... Surprised I be as I was locked out

for a long time and even though I had several try to help me it was still no go....

Needless to say I'm one happy camper. I'm recovering from a right hip replacement. Next (I hope) will

be my right knee.... I have not been able to walk w/o a walker... and mostly in a wheel chair for about

16 long months... But with my new hip I can walk a few feet standing straight and tall with a cane and

now can "zip along pretty good with a walker...

More later... I tire easily and hope I can get back on this forum again... My Best to All.. jim straight

• Like 1

Mr. Straight. I'm very sorry to hear about your ailments, and hope you are back in good shape very soon. Be sure to do as the good Dr. tells you.

It would be a pleasure and honor to meet you one day.

Patrick.....

Crazy how good there getting with that stuff now.

My dad just had a hip job and I was amazed at how fast he was up and about.

Holy Cow, Jim . .. I had no idea you were going through such a trying time ... Dodie and I send our prayers for healing and support to you ... Soon, you'll be out there whacking those many nuggets that still have your name on them ... Cheers, Ron

My pal Jim!! Glad to see you've found your way back into Bills forum. I'm sorry I missed you at the pamona show but I'm glad you are healing well, hopefully Gloria is doing the same.

Jim,

Chris Coffee here. Karen told me about your situation. I don't think I live too far from you, so if you need any help of any kind, please don't hesitate to call me. 760-985-7075. Godspeed.

Great to hear your still in the game and fighting for your mobility. My new elbows are working pretty good but still fighting new knee as completely different physics involved. Hips are easy in comparison because of 1 anchored socket in pelvis. Hope ya heal up fast and enjoy that physical therapy as will definately be the make/break point of all replacements-tons a au 2 u 2 Jim-great to see you back-John :thumbsupanim:thumbsupanim:ROFL:

Hey Jim ... Welcome back ... wondered where you were and hoped all was OK ... Glad to hear the operation went well. Just curious ... was your surgery one of those using the new Intuitive Surgical Rio robots or Mako Surgical robots! That seems to be the new uptrend for hip and knee replacement ... robotic surgery is where the future of medicine is headed. Make the best use of the therapy and you will be back walking around without pain and grinding and without the walker. There are still nuggets and other treasures with your name on it!

Mike F

Jim.... Welcome to the bionic man club! Those replacement joints are a real game changer. hope you heal up real fast!

Very good to have you back on Bill's site!

darn Jim; That sure puts a new meaning to swinging " LOW AND SLOW " !!!!

Hope you get up and out soon.

Bill are you out there? Suddenly I was able to get on your forum... Surprised I be as I was locked out

for a long time and even though I had several try to help me it was still no go....

Needless to say I'm one happy camper. I'm recovering from a right hip replacement. Next (I hope) will

be my right knee.... I have not been able to walk w/o a walker... and mostly in a wheel chair for about

16 long months... But with my new hip I can walk a few feet standing straight and tall with a cane and

now can "zip along pretty good with a walker...

More later... I tire easily and hope I can get back on this forum again... My Best to All.. jim straight

Hi Ya Jim, good to hear from you and have you back. I fixed your log in after the last email you sent me many moons ago. Sorry to hear about your troubles my friend and hopefully things will turn around for you. Let me know if you have anymore issues and we missed ya!

Bill

Howdy Everyone... actally I'm doing good... no complaints. For some unknown reason I was locked out of Bill's forum....Now I understand Bill was able to fix it at his end and I was slow to catch on...

My hip was done at Kaiser Hospital in Fontana... I know my hip bone was cut in two and a long pin was pounded in... This was done on May 23 and on the 25th I was home and walking slowly with a walker... Now I can zip around but still need the walker. I can walk slowly with a cane and yesterday

I was able to take a few "baby steps" w/o hanging on.... More later... I tire easily... Been a long day

for me. Thanks everyone.... jim

Glad to hear you are back and recovering from you surgery, hope to see you at one of the shows in the future-hang in there.

Great news that your get up and go is returning...Keep up the good fight, Cheers, Ron

Jim truly garners universal respect from one and all and indeed a rare breed and we are all better for it-John

Mr Straight, great to read your recent post.

And it sounds like a fantastic positive attitude and progress are being enjoyed by you.

Keep it goin foward

Wishing you and the family all the best.

Frank C. " Ol Yeller"

Jim,

I'm new around here, I had my left hip done on January 3, 2011 & right one done on Oct. 26, 2011. I'm doing very well and I hope you have the same out come!

k9

Howdy All.... Thanks for the good words. I'm very lucky to live during this time and have a hip replacement at this "elder-time" of my life. My "new" right hip is doing great. For the first time

since December 2009 I have been able to walk w/o a cane, walker, and even a wheelchair.

Hopefully next will be my right knee and I'll be able to get out to the goldfields and detect again.

It was both my right hip and knee that "went south" while I was nugget shooting in the Randsburg

area... It happened suddenly--- just a twinge--- but in a few days while at home "whammo;"

I could no longer walk... At first I thought I just needed to take it easy... but then I slowly realized

it could be more serious and I went to the Dr and x-rays showed osteoarthritis bad both right hip

and right knee.... This was in January 2010. Sixteen months ago...

i'm not complaining... just explaining. I have been able to "zip" around in my wheelchair. Able to lift in and out of my van... thanks to good friends I have been able to attend the 2010, 2011, and the 2012

GPAA Gold Shows in Pomona... Life is good, life is great.... jim straight

Hey Jim, so glad to hear about the success on the hip replacement! I was reading one of your books about dry washing and found out you knew Tony and Gloria from Calimesa. I camped and mined with them for many many summers on Nelson Creek. Very special people for sure!

Hello All... The last time I was out nuggethunting was in December 2010.

It was part of a series of trips that I detected around the Randsburg Mining District

beginning.about October. My problem was the weather as I live in Rialto and the

Randsburg area is about 100 miles north up 395... Cajon Pass was often foggy and

sometimes closed. Several times I turned back because of the fog and other highway

conditions. The days were short and as it took me about 5-hrs to make the round triip

to and from the Quadrangle and outlying areas detecting time was short.

On my last trip I struggled to cross a small narrow wash and then to over the uneven

hillside slope.... My goal was to detect the hillside exposed schist bedrock for any

nuggets trapped....My struggle became a "twinge"... and in a few weeks I was unable to

walk. I was field testing the Fisher Gold Bug Pro using the 5-inch sniper coil for

Western & Eastern Treasures.

Lucky I be. I had made seven round trips and recovered nine nuggets with a combined

weight of 112.7 grains. The smallest was 1.3 grains and the largest about 67.5 grains.

I sent the test to People's Publishing in January 2011. The field test was published in

2011 Silver and Gold Annual. (available online at wetreasures.com).

From 1983 through 2011 I was a freelance field tester for People's Publication.

Likely Gold Bug Pro will be my last... But for those of you who are into seeking

Epithermal-type gold and silver deposits associated with Tertiary volcanics, I have

a short article "Ellie and the Boulder of Gold" in the August 2012 issue of

Western & Eastern Treasures.

There are epithemal precious metal deposits related to late Jurassic and Tertiary volcanics

throughout the Cordfillera. The Great Basin Provence is known for them... Best, Jim

• Like 1

Hello all... I guess I'm getting bad on dates... It was in late December 2010 that I had a twinge

while out detecting in Randsburg. In early January 2011 I could no longer walk.

Realistically, The last field test I will ever make was published in the May 2011 Silver & Gold

Annual which is still available. It was on the Fisher Gold Bug Pro with the 5-inch sniper coil.

As many know Trinity Ray who posts on the various forums uses one... Thanks Jim

G'Day Jim

Welcome. Sorry to hear about the problems, but you're one tough son of a bitch and I admire you for that

Ray sends me pix and we talk a bit as he lives just a few blocks away. The Fisher folks REALLY made some great strides with that GB Pro model as quite a few-I mean most of my friends have added them to their arsenal. Up here in the ungodly mineralized Golden Crescent they hum right along with them tiny coils especially. They talk to ya real nice and operation is quite ez. A bud Adam even sold his TLST to buy one. I'm going to try and find the beforementioned article and add it to my Jim Straight collection. Tesoro Gold Stinger was my last review test and had a ball with a club competition style test. Somehow I believe that time and tide will not get ya down,you'll come out a this bump in the highway of life,push through and come out golden sir :D and as always nuttn' but RESPECT -John