Nugget Shooter Forums
malo

DIY Trommel on a Shoestring Budget

Trom001_002.jpg

Here you'll find plans to build an inexpensive, compact, and light weight hand trommel. It is designed to classify quantity material for your dry-washer, highbanker, sluice, pan, or garden, and can also be used as a worm harvester, gemstoner, or even an arrowhead sifter. The cost of parts is around $50 US.

Ergtrom.jpg

• Like 2

That's pretty slick!

Great idea!

Just add water, that would be real easy. ;)

WoW, Pritty Cool toy.

Right up my budget..... I just printed out the directions. thanks for taking pictures and posting this.

Joe

Did it and it works great....... thanks for the directions.

Joe

post-26225-0-33185900-1336199703_thumb.j

Looks good but paint it! UV kills the plastic quick

Looks good but paint it! UV kills the plastic quick

I found that out with a five gallon pail i left out in the yard for a few months...... picked it up full of rocks and it broke in pieces. Point well taken :rolleyes:

They're cheap enough- local donut shop almost gives them away..... latex acrylic paint is fine

I did research on the type of buckets before building this. Home Depot had the .75 mil bucket which far outlasted the much less substantial Lowe's bucket. I would imagine that a white bucket of .75 mil+ would be a better call than orange but I liked the color scheme and am not likely to leave the bright orange beast out in the field at quitting time. I don't leave any of my tools outside, exposed to the elements for any length of time when I'm not working with them so time spent in UV is not much of an issue. I've used my trommel for a season now in the desert southwest and the bucket material is still perky as new. I did buy a full brimmed hat though, as my bucket head can't take any UV. :thumbsupanim

Very cool gizmo for sure....

After careful consideration here's the plan.......... replace the bottom bearing with the same four-way as the top. Plug the top of the axle near the coupling, plug both sides of the lower four-way so water doesn't leak. Use a PVC reducer with a regular hose bib on the outer four-way................ no need for swivel fitting and it has water flow control to boot! Drill adequate holes in axle for water spray towards top of the trommel and add spray shield of 1/2 cut length of 2 1/2" PVC tubing suspended over the hopper part of the axle. Those picky about water drip can implement an O-ring to the bottom axle/bearing connection. Add your sluice and recirculating pump. Waaaaaallllllla! You have your shoestring budget highbanker/recirculating sluice adaptable for just about any type of recreational prospecting whether it be drywasher, highbanker, stream fed sluicing, or classifying for the pan.

What fun!

Mike

Attention: I had a flood and my server was destroyed. The address to Mike's Trommel has been changed to:

http://mlaine.net/Trom

I have used this trommel for 6 years now and it's still cranking away.

Cheers,

Mike Laine

"MIke's Trommel"

Mike your link in your original post still works, I'm not sure how that can be if the server isn't existing any longer?

booty.jpg

AU Seeker,

My DYNDNS service is temporarily webhopping/redirecting my server's address to a friend's home where there is a small Raspberry Pi backup of my server. I have since moved everything to a pay host and it is permanent with a new address. I will keep the redirect as long as I can but am changing as many addresses on blogs as I can before the Pi melts down. I hate dead links and will do everything I can to prevent it.

http://mlaine.net/Trom

Thanks,

Mike Laine