Nugget Shooter Forums
Uncle Ron

Bright Red Snake????

Yo All ... On my way into LSD yesterday I came across a type of snake I've never seen before ... It was about 5' to 6' long and very slender ... The weird thing was that it was very bright red, virtually the same color and brightness of an automobile tail light ... The body and head shape were very much like a typical red racer, which I've encountered many times, but I've never seen anything like the bright red color ... Any ideas? Cheers, Unc

Unc was you looking down through your tri-focals and saw a "trouser snake"..... :gig: :th:

No corn snakes in AZ. Might have been some variable of a Ground Snake, although they are normally small and 5 or 6 feet is way out there for those. I've taken two pictures of snakes in the last year that no one can ID. Strange. Both at Gold Basin I might add! :hmmmmm:

One of those that just shed its skin...

What really narrows it down is the length, as we dont have to many 5 to 6 foot snakes out here. must have been a subspecies of coachwhip. I wonder if it is possible that it could have adapted to red soils, and like mentioned above, it could have just shed its skin too......Sounds pretty cool regardless

Chris, it did look like that but much brighter...Maybe it did just shed it's skin ... it was in the middle of Castle Hot Spring Road right at the turnoff to that orange dirt landscaping rock pit ...

Did it look like this snake?

Skip where do you come up with pics like that? Do you see the mice(?) in the bush....probably what the snake is after...

Skip where do you come up with pics like that? Do you see the mice(?) in the bush....probably what the snake is after...

Got them from the internet, searching Arizona snakes, not to many red ones of that size that I could find.

Yes I saw the critter, not sure if it was lucky and got away or not!!

Hi Ron ,

found a fire engine red one here about 15 years ago. ODNR and a couple herpetologists believed it to be a milk snake . Supposedly it was a mutated variety like we do with corns and rat snakes. They claimed that in most cases these would not live long due to the bright color ... to easy to be spotted by predators. There was also a report of one seen here in ohio that was posted on cryptozoology.com . Cheers , Lou

It was more than likley a Coachwhip Racer. They come in a variety of colors. They get pretty long and they can really move when they want to. I have seen them anywhere from yellowish to purple in color.

It was likely a Red Whip Snake/Red Racer/ or as Whylee said Coachwhip Racer lots of common names for "Masticophis flagelliformis" and they are super fast and can climb a desert tree like lightning to get a bird or lizard.

1.jpg

Well I'm sure glad you guys nailed that one.

I was starting to think ,.....maybe that snake Uncle Rod spotted wasn't really red colored, that is untill he spotted Unc Ron lookin at him and got all embarresed an turned red cause he couldn't find them nuggets like Unc Ron can.

That's it, Bill ... Looked just like that! Thanks for the info, guys! Cheers, Unc

It was likely a Red Whip Snake/Red Racer/ or as Whylee said Coachwhip Racer lots of common names for "Masticophis flagelliformis" and they are super fast and can climb a desert tree like lightning to get a bird or lizard.

1.jpg

That the same snake as the pictures I posted "Red Coachwhip", in Bill's picture that snake is just more embarrassed!!! :hahaha: :hahaha:

Skip