Nugget Shooter Forums
frank c

Quartzsite area Question / Info

I am planning on being at Quartzsite area for Turkey Day this wed.24 thru sun.28.

I have no actual field experience in the area. I will be with 1 other couple and we will have 5th wheel trailers.

Anyone familiar with the La Paz placer area off Tom Wells rd. (La Paz wash, Goodman wash, Farrar gulch) any info on these and getting a 5th wheel in there to camp ???

La Cholla & Middlecamp Placers off Dome rock rd. any info on this area with reguards to gettin a 5th wheel an camping in there ???

Which of the 2 areas would you suggest over the other ??

Never been there and want to maximize our time detecting, I have a little info from books and thats all so any help / suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks Frank C.

No camping on the north side of the freeway from Quartzsite to Dome Rock Rd off ramp. Lots of camping on the south side.

Middle Camp placers are claimed by the Quartzsite Metal Detecting Club. They have another claim in the La Cholla area. There are several commercial operations on the north side plus the SCPMA (?) has a big claim on that side.

La Paz borders the Indian reservation. There is camping there but I don't know how easy it is to get into.

Goldbug Ron

Frank Goldbug Ron gave you good info also the Tom Wells rd area was closed to prospecting years ago, it is a resevation, and they will confiscate your possesions,Dome rock area is one of my favorites and you could get a 5th wheel in most areas there ,also there are a few spots right off dome rock rd were you could camp and even find a nugget or 2.:ph34r2:

I am planning on being at Quartzsite area for Turkey Day this wed.24 thru sun.28.

I have no actual field experience in the area. I will be with 1 other couple and we will have 5th wheel trailers.

Anyone familiar with the La Paz placer area off Tom Wells rd. (La Paz wash, Goodman wash, Farrar gulch) any info on these and getting a 5th wheel in there to camp ???

La Cholla & Middlecamp Placers off Dome rock rd. any info on this area with reguards to gettin a 5th wheel an camping in there ???

Which of the 2 areas would you suggest over the other ??

Never been there and want to maximize our time detecting, I have a little info from books and thats all so any help / suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks Frank C.

Frank, I hunted & camped in the N.Trigos which are on the Yuma Proving grounds for 10 yrs or more with no problems, you need an ATV to get back in there to hunt. There is a lot to see back in the Trigos. Best to drive there & scout it out first. There will be guys there that will be glad to show you around. Take Care, Chuck

FRANK,MAUREEN AND I CAMPED IN THE DOME ROCK AREA LAST WINTER. THIS TIME OF THE YEAR YOU CAN FIND LOTS OF PLACES TO DRY CAMP. ON NEW YEARS DAY LAST YEAR MAUREEN HIT A PATCH OF NICE NUGS ON THE QUARTZITE MIDDLE CAMP CLAIM AREA. SHE LET ME DIG A 10.2 GRAMMER.SHE FOUND A TOTAL OF 10.8 GMS. ALSO IN THE DOME ROCK AREA THAT HAS BEEN POUNDED FOR MANY YEARS I MANAGED TO FIND A FEW IN A WASH 50 ' BEHIND THE SPOT WHERE WE WERE CAMPED. ITS A BIG AREA LIKE GOLD BASIN SO JUST PICK A SPOT AND GRID .THER SHOULD STILL BE A FEW LEFT FOR YOU.

HARRY

Frank .....Dome rock is where you will want to camp.

This is the area most are talking about. Dome rock exit, and camp south of the frontage road (outlined in red), everyone else will be there too.

post-1117-0-14468800-1290386417_thumb.jp

Frank , Adam is giving you the true word . We and some friends camp there every January . There is TONS of space . If you plan on going into Quartzsite to shop you better get there early . The parking is a problem if you don't get a space along the main drag where all the shops/tents are . They have areas where you can turn off the street but the ground is "iffy" and you can get stuck in a heartbeat .Good luck .

Frank, Have a great time visiting Q. The Quartzsite Metal Detecting Club has over 480 acres available to members. Membership is only $20 for a couple and maps will be given with your paid membership. You can join up if you wish at either gold equipment store in Q.

Thank you all for thew responses.

David I did a little on line research and found that out about joining and I believe thats the ticket thanks

Frank,

Donna and I will be working the middle camp placers over the Thanksgiving weekend.

There is a brand new Ol Yeller that recently arrived in Yuma recently that needs a workout.

If you see us, Beige Toyota Tundra and Ol Yeller at work stop and say hi.

John

Frank

Hey the Qaurtzsite Metal Detecting Club is pretty good, it was the first club that I joined I got a little gold the first time out with my son. They do have last I knew about 4 claims in the area, probably more now. You can go to the Gold Miser there in Quartzsite :thumbsupanim and join up it is about $25.00 last I knew they have a Coin Shoot once a month (I believe it is the 3rd Saturday but don't quote me on it) at one of the local parks across from the Gold Miser. My Son got his first 2 nuggets during that shoot, one taped under a nickel and one at the raffel :grr01: ( I gave him the winning ticket..LOL). Also if you are a member of the GPAA they also have a claim on the south side of 10 that borders one of the Quartzsite claims as you know you can camp on the claim for 14 days.

Hope that helps.. Missed this post yesterday.

Very Respectfully

RANGERMG

Tim

i just was in quartzsite today passing through. i took dome rock rd and went in on the south side. there was lots of rvs there , didnt see anyone prospecting. i drove my minivan up in between the canyons as far as i could go. didnt look like anyone ever even worked the washes. i tested my new gpx 5000 and got like 3 lead bullets in an hr. not alot of trash. no nuggets. was i in the right area. just was passing through and saw this post so thought id try for hour.

john

i just was in quartzsite today passing through. i took dome rock rd and went in on the south side. there was lots of rvs there , didnt see anyone prospecting. i drove my minivan up in between the canyons as far as i could go. didnt look like anyone ever even worked the washes. i tested my new gpx 5000 and got like 3 lead bullets in an hr. not alot of trash. no nuggets. was i in the right area. just was passing through and saw this post so thought id try for hour.

john

Howdy gubelube,

I'm thinking about going to quartzite in a week or two. Was the area like a war zone with craters everywhere? I'm tired of stepping in holes! I only have a pea shooter(Lobo) not a Sherman tank(ML 5000) so since I don't mind walking 4 miles or so maybe I'll have a chance? At least solitude? Wataya think.

Bill C

There are PLENTY of areas to prospect/explore there some closer to the main roads have signs of work just like anywhere.

Good bet is to join the quartzsite detecting club as I did if your time is limited they have many claims with gold on them. I came home with 2 nice little nugs I detected. About 50 bucks worth. And I also realized there is an enormous amount of land to explore there IF you have the time.

The only drawback was the weather was not very good while I was there.

Could be that Quartzsite needs a "Naked Nugget Shooter" to go along with the bookseller? :hahaha:

Mike