Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Southern

Rock or Mineral of the Day Thread

Here is a cool one for ya...

Streak black/grey

Magnetic... :idea:

IMG_20101119_065504.jpg

Basalt?

Damfino. How heavy is that rock Bill? Specific gravity more or less. Gotta have more than streak to ID that rock. With nothing but streak to go on I would call it magnetite. Can you scratch it with a knife?

I guessed Magnetite as well, but have never had it officially verified...

Will not scratch with a knife and very heavy.

Here is a shot in the sunlight this morning...

IMG_4123.jpg

G'Day Bill

Keep the thread going.... an easy one.

Cheers

Johnno

post-2798-0-25188000-1290832171_thumb.jp

G'Day Bill and Everyone

What about this one??

Cheers

Johnno

IMG_9614.jpg

Hi Johnno-

Hope everything is going OK with you. Not posting as much as you used to.

The first one is pyrite.

My guess on the second one is mimetite. Hard to get a close up of the crystal structure... More or less went by the color... second choice would be vanadinite.

The third one looks like galena.

Steve

G'Day Steve

Yeah I've backed off posting a little bit, not from not wanting to but I got a little bit extra on my plate at the moment and I'm trying to deal with it. Funny thing is, the more you deal with it, more gets thrown onto your plate. It's a vicious circle. But I try to keep smiling. Lately I've resorted to toothpicks, it makes me look like the Joker. :(

Yes, the 1st one is Pyrite. A really nice specimen. And the last one is Galena, another nice specimen. One hell of a heavy piece.

But as for the 2nd one, I have no idea. But I can tell you now if you don't pick it up from it's matrix base, it's like picking up a cactus. Those crystals will penetrate your skin and it's a heavy piece coming in at 5 lbs. It was given to me without any information and I really would like to nail it down.

Here's some more close ups for you to ponder over.

Cheers

Johnno

IMG_9640.jpg

IMG_9641.jpg

IMG_9642.jpg

Johnno-

Sorry to hear about your troubles. We all go through those every once in awhile. I've been going through some myself lately. Just hang in there and I'm sure everything will work out OK in time.

If it's that heavy, I'm going to stick with my original guess of Mimetite since it's a lead mineral and should be quite heavy like yours is. I've also seen it in that same orangish color although the close ups of the crystallization are throwing me off somewhat. I'm sure some other guys will chime in. Assuming there's not any damage, that specimen should be worth a pretty penny,mimetite or not...

Steve

:thumbsupanim Johnno I'd email Crystal in Laguna Beach with a pic,when it comes to the unknown or outta the ordinary they rock!!! Seen a few pieces before but old age and hep c took them memories away with the cure-John

Beautiful specimens Johnno! Keep them coming....

From a google search mimetite...

eb4fd060.jpg

This is from AZ

Mimetite(a)-Arizona.jpg

How about this from Morocco...

11fa09990.jpg

My specimen is not so spectacular, but same mineral from AZ.

IMG_4132.jpg

Not much to go by on this one colorwise- but I've got a hunch. Going to say smithsonite. If not I have another mineral in mind.

Steve

G'Day Bill, Steve, John and Everyone

Thanks for all your input. I will see what else I can find in my box of trinkets, they might not be spectacular and an easy ID but this is a great thread and needs to keep going. I might even take a picture of my waterfall, it's 6 foot high and believe it or not made up of rocks that I'd picked up in the desert. The vertical walls of the waterfall is done in sliced rock containing fossils. Who knows, I might have a fortune in that waterfall... Yeah right. :arrowheadsmiley:

Cheers

Johnno

Well- that mimetite specimen is worth a few hundred dollars if it's any help to you. Who knows about the waterfall? You might have complete skeleton of the Archaeopteryx in it. :inocent: :inocent:

Steve

Not much to go by on this one colorwise- but I've got a hunch. Going to say smithsonite. If not I have another mineral in mind.

Steve

I have no real clue on it and don't remember where I even picked it up. Have allot of mineral specimens gathered over the years visiting old mines etc.

I have no real clue on it and don't remember where I even picked it up. Have allot of mineral specimens gathered over the years visiting old mines etc.

Is it heavy for its size? That's a clue for a lead mineral. If so, my first choice would be smithsonite, then cerrusite.

Steve

Bill is an very knowledgeable rockhound himself so if it were druzy quartz ,I'm sure he could indentify it. That's why I think it's something a little more scarce then druzy. Could be wrong though... Looks like it but......

Steve

Is it heavy for its size? That's a clue for a lead mineral. If so, my first choice would be smithsonite, then cerrusite.

Steve

Actually not heavy at all... For it's size anyway bout what you would expect.

My WAG would be quartz crystals (druzy) over azurite and maybe a little malachite and chrysocolla. These are some really nice examples http://www.nuevomund....net/druzy.html

I was told this by another rock hound as well...