Nugget Shooter Forums
bigrex

Gold Bug vs Gold Bug 2

Just wondering what improvements and advantages might be found on the Gold Bug 2. I'm guessing there may be some improvement to sensitivity or that it might be a digital version of the original Gold Bug? I would appreciate if someone would take a minute to give their thoughts or comparisons on how they like one vs the other. I think I need to pick up one and hit the hills next summer for a little while to get out of the house. There's pretty much just small gold around here, it could very well be another year before I get a Minelab to replace the one I sold off. -Nice, new forum format.

Thanks

Rex B.

Just wondering what improvements and advantages might be found on the Gold Bug 2. I'm guessing there may be some improvement to sensitivity or that it might be a digital version of the original Gold Bug? I would appreciate if someone would take a minute to give their thoughts or comparisons on how they like one vs the other. I think I need to pick up one and hit the hills next summer for a little while to get out of the house. There's pretty much just small gold around here, it could very well be another year before I get a Minelab to replace the one I sold off. -Nice, new forum format.

Thanks

Rex B.

Rex

I have two GB2's and I think they are great. I haven't used the original GB, or other VLF detectors, so I'm unable to compare it against others, but I feel the GB2 is the best choice for where I live. I will say it is very sensitive, & I have both the 6 1/2 and 10 inch coil, though I only hunt with the small one. I've only found small gold (usually surface & down to 5 or 6 inches). I've heard, but not tried, the larger coil is pretty good for a little larger & deeper gold 6-8 inches) but here in Colorado, I mainly hunt tailing and cobble piles. I also have a Minelab SD2200V2, but haven't used it yet. Was hoping to go down to Stanton as my GB2 doesn't seem to do that good in Arizona's mineralized ground.

h20prospector

Rex

I have two GB2's and I think they are great. I haven't used the original GB, or other VLF detectors, so I'm unable to compare it against others, but I feel the GB2 is the best choice for where I live. I will say it is very sensitive, & I have both the 6 1/2 and 10 inch coil, though I only hunt with the small one. I've only found small gold (usually surface & down to 5 or 6 inches). I've heard, but not tried, the larger coil is pretty good for a little larger & deeper gold 6-8 inches) but here in Colorado, I mainly hunt tailing and cobble piles. I also have a Minelab SD2200V2, but haven't used it yet. Was hoping to go down to Stanton as my GB2 doesn't seem to do that good in Arizona's mineralized ground.

h20prospector

Thanks for the reply h20prospector,

I used to post more here but have been absent lately. I'm planning to eventually visit the Henry Mtns. here in UT. There are a lot of claims there but I hear there is a public panning area. The creek there named Crescent Creek is supposed to sometimes dry up beginning in late summer. Nuggets are rare but 1/4 inch nuggets have been found, so I figured it couldn't hurt to look behind boulders and low pressure areas on the dry creek with a Gold Bug. I'll just need to watch out for flash floods since it is basically a slot canyon. I also visit Amasa Valley, also in UT, they also have the occasional nugget. I did run a Minelab Eureka Gold there, but only got trash, I'm thinking I'll need all the sensitivity the GB can muster to find the majority of gold around here, and will probably spend a good bit of time running a mini-highbanker and possibly a drywasher. I have a highbanker and may pick up a dry washer in the future. I'll swing back out to NV when I purchase another Minelab PI detector but will most likely wait until then. Thanks for your input about the coils and your success with the detector. Utah's soil isn't that mineralized so I hope to have some similar success over here.

Rex

From what I have read. The GB and the GB2 are both very sensitive. However the advancements were large and very good. The discrimination and Ground balance are the enhancements. I can't say for a fact but I think the original had no discriminitation and limited ground balance. Or something along those lines. With those additions it became a much more usable machine. I love my GB2

That newest Goldbug sounds pretty darn good for a VLF....Looking forward to some real field reports on it...Cheers, yer Unc in the Dubyah

Rex-

The Gold Bug 2 is the best small nugget detector- bar none... I was able to consistently find pieces about 1/10th the size of a pinhead and larger and I can't picture any other detector beating it in that regard.

The new Gold Bug doesn't look that promising to me. It looks like it has the same frequency of the original Gold Bug along with what appears a 4" round coil. One of my friends in Nevada was using the original Gold Bug with a 4" coil for small gold but the Gold Bug 2 simply blew it away by a mile. Of course there might be some other variables that might improve it but I really doubt they'll be able to duplicate the sensitivity of the Gold Bug 2 with such a low frequency. :twocents: :twocents:

Steve

After a week with my GB2 I sold my original Goldbug. I absolutely love the 6.5 BUT was told when I ordered a new coil cover(worn out quick?) I was told the coil was discontinued by the new owners?? Urban tale or truth??? tons a au 2 u2 -John

After a week with my GB2 I sold my original Goldbug. I absolutely love the 6.5 BUT was told when I ordered a new coil cover(worn out quick?) I was told the coil was discontinued by the new owners?? Urban tale or truth??? tons a au 2 u2 -John

I heard this rumor before so I contacted Fisher myself.

Mike Scott <ms@frsttx.com>

Steve,

Thanks for your interest in Fisher products.

There are no plans to discontinue the small coil it is one of our best sellers.

Thanks for the support.

Mike

Rex,

The original GB and the GB II are very similar. The biggest difference being the original Gold Bug operates at 19Khz and the GB II operates at 71Khz. The new Gold Bug goes back to 19Khz but with a digital panel. The GB II seems to be very popular. I have an orginal GB and it drives me crazy in mineralized ground, other wise it is quite sensitive.

Regards,

Errante

Hi Guys-

Me and a few other gold prospectors had a chance to test a GB3 prototype back in the late nineties. I didn't like it and it got really bad reviews from everyone else. Later on I think the same detector was sold under a different name- the Gold Striker. Can't sell junk no matter what they name it.

Steve

I have both the GB-1 and the GB-2. I have found that both are very good in different situtions. I have all 3 coils for my GB-2 and have found that having all three has been a blessing. If I want to cover a lot of ground and minuraltion is lite to medium, I use the 14 inch. I have found gold as deep as 4 inches with it. I also carry the other 2 coils with me because I hate having to walk back to the truck since walking is a chore for me any way. In heavy ironstone areas I have found the small coil to work best. You just need to know the sounds your machine makes in heavy ironstone so as to punch through it.

As of my last doctor visit, it looks like my metal detecting days are over.

OL'29er :olddude: :twocents:

Thanks again to everyone for all the replies. I need to correct myself, I ran a Minelab XT18000 in the one location I mentioned earlier, not the Eureka Gold. I think it was the analog precursor to the Eureka Gold. As far as sensitivity is concerned it sounds like nothing beats the Gold Bug 2. It appears with the high frequency there is some sacrifice to depth, but 6" coil still gets better depth than the 10" coil. It's probably reasonably safe to say the Gold Bug II should be the best detector for the conditions I will be faced with; low iron terrain with consistent flecks, occasional pickers and small nuggets. I haven't had time to reply until now since I'm attempting to prepare lessons for a new block of courses I'm instructing online.

Rex

Rex,

Did you get down to the Henry Mountains and Amasa Valley with a Gold Bug 2 and find any nuggets? I just picked up a GPX 5000 and from my research those places would be the best in Utah for detecting although probably not successful. I will be planning trips to those places along with some in North Eastern Nevada.

Thanks,

SpinRabbit,

This topic is almost 4 years old, but lucky for you BigRex is still active here, so maybe he will see your question and reply.

Welcome to the forum!!

Hi,

Thanks for the Welcome!