NuggetShooter.com Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr-Meteorite

Meteorite Finding Dog in West Texas

There is indeed a meteorite finding dog!

Here's the story. On Friday Sonny, Steve Arnold and I drove into the strewn field bright and early and immediately started knocking on doors to try to gain permission to hunt. Upon walking up to a particular house Sonny spotted a meteorite on the porch (about 70-90 grams) he picked it up, and laid it back down. "Ruben, did you see that fully crusted meteorite on the porch?" He Said. I couldn't believe it. He was right! Right there on the porch but no one was home...what to do? Since Sonny assured me that he wasn't going to buy meteorites when he could find them I decided to track down the owner and try to buy the specimen.

I got the owners work phone number from a neighbor and called. After introducing myself and explaining what I was in town for, I told the owner that there was a meteorite on their porch. "What, you mean that black rock that the dog brought up and dropped on the porch?" "Yes, that one" I said.

Needless to say, I drove down and did a nice video interview with the owner holding the space rock and recalling the tale.

Ruben Garcia

Phoenix, Arizona

Articles: http://www.meteorite.com/blog/

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user...rfright&p=v

Regmaglitch    77

Well......................................COME ON, RUBEN,............................You DID ask the man, didn't you?.........................DIDN'T YOU?!!!!!!!

How much for the dog! THE DOG!!! Oh Jeeze................

Ben

Now thats the trick I need to teach my 3 dogs. With 3 I should be rolling in the space rocks.

Rubin:

I have to say that is one intriguing story – can’t wait for the video. I have to ask: did the owner keep the meteorite? Did you offer to buy it? That one is going to be a real prize. :happy0045:

Did you take the dog out with you to gather more pieces? Kinda reminds me of the old “Lassie” TV shows where he communicates to his owners that someone is stuck in a mine shaft or something. :bek082: That would have been a blast to take the dog out with you.

I wonder if the dog saw it fall and then ran over to it and picked it up as a gift to his owner; my dog will sometimes catch gophers in our back yard and put them on our door step.

What a great story – and I bet you guys will have many many more.

What breed of dog was it, anyway?

:yourock:

- Greg

Jim K    0

Ahhhh! Seeeee! Now my idea of training dogs to find meteorites isn't so far fetched! Just remember who thought it up first!! :laught16::laught16:

Jim

Hi all.

I'm heading home in the morning with a bag full of meteorites. Ok, it's a small bag but I'm happy. I got 6 complete individuals and a fractured specimen. I interviewed some of the locals as well as hunters and should have at least a couple of good stories/videos!

I'm not sure (nor is anyone else) why the dog decided to pick up the meteorite. However, the owners gladly wrote out a nice little story about how it happened. For everyone dying to know the meteorite found by the dog was purchased by my friend Rob Wessel.

Ruben

Guest bedrock bob   
Guest bedrock bob
Hi all.

I'm heading home in the morning with a bag full of meteorites. Ok, it's a small bag but I'm happy. I got 6 complete individuals and a fractured specimen. I interviewed some of the locals as well as hunters and should have at least a couple of good stories/videos!

I'm not sure (nor is anyone else) why the dog decided to pick up the meteorite. However, the owners gladly wrote out a nice little story about how it happened. For everyone dying to know the meteorite found by the dog was purchased by my friend Rob Wessel.

Ruben

You left the treasure in Texas at that farm. How many dogs have found one (and lived to tell about it?) If a shingle from a roof that has been penetrated by a meteorite is a collectible, and a "hammer" is any different than the averaged bomb, then a meteorite finding dog and the meteorite he found should be something special too.

What a neat story. It has all the elements. Fireballs, adventure, heroes, and a PUPPY!

Bedrock Bob

Dean (N.M.)    0

Hey,

I hope you brought the dog back with you along with your bag of meteorites!

If I was Rob I would have purchased the meteorite finding dog as well as the meteorite!

Congrats to all!

Dean

Hey,

I hope you brought the dog back with you along with your bag of meteorites!

If I was Rob I would have purchased the meteorite finding dog as well as the meteorite!

Congrats to all!

Dean

I'll do a nice story on the meteorite finding dog soon but let me tell you this. The dog was a stray only a few weeks ago and just recently had a steak dinner do to his meteorite finding skills!

Ruben

fredmason    470

I don't find the Dog's abilities too farfetched...they can/have been trained to find mushrooms,paper money,live and dead people, cancer and drugs...a new object in its territory would certainly attract the dogs attention.

In the early days of the Comstock there is a story of a gold-finding dog...

In the early eighties I read a story about a guy that trained his mutt to find paper money and claimed to do very well...

I wish I had the patience to train animals...

Great story Ruben.

Fred

nighthawk    0

Hi Ruben,

This wonder pooch is definitally a front cover for "Meteorite Magazine". :coffeetime: Glad you did well in finding the meteorites. :icon_mrgreen: Were they found with the detector or by eye sight. :innocent0009: Any idea of the meteorite's class, etc. Hum...besides being very classy :laught16:

Best wishes, jim "bones" looking forward to the video, etc. :outtahere:

I remember Del brought out his dog (Maggie I think is her name) hunting on a dry lake. Perhaps Del, you can train her to find those little black rocks; :ROFL: :ROFL: :postdigger:

Greg

Guest bedrock bob   
Guest bedrock bob

Here is Wally the meteorite hunting dog. He has not found a meterotie yet, but we are working on it. He has it in his blood. He is a pure bred Bolide Hound. You can tell by the shiny black fusion crust. I have had his chondrules removed so he is an achrondite. If you pet him the wrong direction you will find that he is oriented. His ears even slope backwards from the forces of reentry and there are flow lines on his nose.

Dean (N.M.)    0
Here is Wally the meteorite hunting dog. He has not found a meterotie yet, but we are working on it. He has it in his blood. He is a pure bred Bolide Hound. You can tell by the shiny black fusion crust. I have had his chondrules removed so he is an achrondite. If you pet him the wrong direction you will find that he is oriented. His ears even slope backwards from the forces of reentry and there are flow lines on his nose.

Bob,

that is a good looking Bolide hound. Now.......if only......your achondrite can help you find a siderite or perhaps the elusive pallasite! Maybe even a new Iron he will find! May your fusion crusted, flow lined, oriented hound be ready for the next meteorite adventure!

Dean

Guest bedrock bob   
Guest bedrock bob

This bad boy poops pallasites Dean! My yard just may be our best bet to find that big one!

Dean (N.M.)    0

Ha ha,

there you go buddy, the hunts over! A yard full of pallasites with plenty of crystals to boot! Go figure, that big one that slipped through your fingers was right before your eyes the whole time!!

Regmaglitch    77

Hi Bob,

Does Wally have a stress crack on his backside? And is he paired to others in the same area? Was he a fall or a find? Has he been classified?

Ben

Guest bedrock bob   
Guest bedrock bob

He was a find (animal shelter). He had fallen about a year before in an Albuquerque suburb. He is the only one of his kind known to man. He cant be classified using conventional science. He is an enigma. I would be lucky to find another specimen like this. I wouldnt trade him for a pallasite of equal weight (43 kilos). Crap. he cost me $2K in vet bills after a rattlesnake bit him so I guess that pretty much tells you he is worth something.

Bob

Paseclipse    3

Hey guys, All my dog Maggie wants to do when she goes meteorite hunting with me is lay down because she's tired after walking a mile. :laught16:

Maggiein-situ1.jpg

Del

Hi all,

I must be insane! I drove to West, Texas last Thursday (1200 miles) then drove home on Tuesday. Then I flew back Friday and will be here till Wednesday. I'll have articles, pictures and of course videos when I return - One video about how I discovered Hopper the meteorite finding dog and one video of my total experience.

I've found some nice stones and will sell one or two (100 percent crusted) Email me off list if you are looking for one.

Ruben Garcia

Phoenix, Arizona

Articles: http://www.meteorite.com/blog/

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user...rfright&p=v

Kaimi    29

Aloha Ruben,

Yep, hunting meteorites can add a "little insanity" into ones life sometimes. that is one reason I took off for a year and did some other outdoor/field work. It gave me a new perspective on this whole hobby and the people who are out there. Some, like yourself, really love doing it just because. I got to admit tho you take this whole thing to a new level when it comes to the word "dedication".

Good luck in Texas and am looking forward to your videos and reports on this new fall.

Aloha and of course be safe out there in Texas.

Stan aka Kaimi

El Dorado    900
He was a find (animal shelter). He had fallen about a year before in an Albuquerque suburb. He is the only one of his kind known to man. He cant be classified using conventional science. He is an enigma. I would be lucky to find another specimen like this. I wouldnt trade him for a pallasite of equal weight (43 kilos). Crap. he cost me $2K in vet bills after a rattlesnake bit him so I guess that pretty much tells you he is worth something.

Bob

Did your Vet inform you about the rattlesnake vaccine available for dogs? If not, find a vet that can get your fine looking buddy protected.

nate    0

Nice hay man trade him a doller for that dog :) well you guys did well.. Wish i could have gone but hay i got holbrook under my belt :)

Guest bedrock bob   
Guest bedrock bob
Did your Vet inform you about the rattlesnake vaccine available for dogs? If not, find a vet that can get your fine looking buddy protected.

Yes, after your post a month or so ago I checked it out. My vet says that it is expensive and not effective... In most cases the dog would have to have antiventin and prophylaxis anyway if he was bitten and advised against it. The injection is hard on the liver and is not something that he would reccomend. My large animal vet tells me the same story. I did insure that the antiventin was readily available if needed and they both assured me that a vial could be had within an hour if they did not have it in the cooler.

Bedrock Bob