Nugget Shooter Forums
vanoldschool

washington state gold?

Hello, I just retired from the Navy, and thanks to the economy, I cannot seem to fond a new job, so with all this free time I have I have been doing my regular Metal Detecting, However I am very interested in using my detector for gold, would it sound like pull tabs, If I did come across a small nugget? I have done the research and there is so much involved with finding nuggets, should I start in the river beds? I am located in Eastern Washington, with the columbia river all around me, well thanks for any info.

From what little I know about Washington, you are better off going over into Idaho or south into Oregon. The Columbia River basin is mostly basalt and I don't think much gold has ever been found there. Washington may have some strict laws regarding mining too so I'd read up on that.

Vanoldschool,

First question is ... What are you using for a detector? that might have a real bearing on whether you have equipment capable of finding gold ... or more precisely the ease or likelihood of finding gold.

Mike F

I have to echo Slim, VanOldschool. I too was just laid off about 3 weeks ago and I am looking for work. I had my choice of 3 different areas to move to. My wife and I decided on Boise, ID. So naturally, I started looking at my prospects, shall we say in finding gold. I have looked at Idaho, Washington and Oregon. By far Oregon came in first, but Idaho is not a bad choice eitherto look. I was not abe to find much about Wash at all. Oregon, is very diverse and has some better mining laws.

I will be arriving in Boise in about 3 weeks. I hope that we can meet! Afterall, the squids have to stick together.

NE WA has lots of gold. Go up to the Similkameen river area around Oroville and start asking around! There is also a large mining show/gathering there every summer, It's called the Miner's Ralley and gold show......The most state restricted venue is dredging and government has the attitude that dredges kill Salmon..........

There is another foruum that has a bunch of Washington prospectors Golddredger Forum

RON_L on that forum can give you oodles of info!

El, I have ben searching for more information on Idaho Metal detecting laws. I understand that the archeologists are in full control over anything that goes on there. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction for the state laws?

I have found some, but nothing that is all inclusive.

I have no clue about Idaho, but this forum has Idaho members that beep all the time

Largo & Gus both live up around the Boisie area, I think...They are both pros...('Course, I think they go to Nevada for their nugget bone rubbin'... :laught16: ) Cheers, Unc

Unc Ron I am not even gonna ask what that means........ :tisc-tisc:

When you get to Idaho call or go see Gerry at Gery's detectors. He also has a website. He gives lessons and I am sure he will be able to help you concerning the laws in the areas. I have never met him but did talk to him on the phone and he seemed to be a real nice feller.

Hello Vanoldschool,

All of the northern counties have produced gold-Whatcom,Okanogan,Stevens,Ferry Etc. There are places in Chelan and Kittitas counties also. I live in Wa. State but dont prospect much up here, pretty thin prospects. Oregon and Idaho have more opportunities.

SteveT

Hello,

I will be arriving in Boise in about 3 weeks. I hope that we can meet! Afterall, the squids have to stick together

Just so you know, unless you have a job lined up, the prospects for finding something might be real tough.

According to the local state employment office, on the news last night, there are 50,000 people here in this area (BOISE), out of work.

There is gold to be found, but unfortunately most of the gold has a huge overburden of soil, rocks, etc. over it, so much so that in some areas, the old time floating dredges could not reach bedrock, where we know that the greater amount of gold is to be found. In all the years I have been detecting gold, I have found less than 10 specks of gold in this area of southern Idaho. There are larger nuggets to be found up in northern Idaho, say around Murray, but the snow is pretty deep there right now, unfortunately.

There is some notion that being a full time gold hunter is a lucrative venture, but if it was, there would be a whole lot of folks driving fancy new trucks, but the real truth is, I have seen full timers living on dog food, literally, which kinda takes the gloss off the success idea. The people making the dollars on gold propecting are the dealers, and there are some that would argue that point as well. So the best idea is to do the gold hunting thing as more as a leisure thing, and if you get lucky, well that is a good thing...end of sermon.

Let me know when you get up this way, and I'll be happy to meet you!

~LARGO~

Hello,

Just so you know, unless you have a job lined up, the prospects for finding something might be real tough.

According to the local state employment office, on the news last night, there are 50,000 people here in this area (BOISE), out of work.

There is gold to be found, but unfortunately most of the gold has a huge overburden of soil, rocks, etc. over it, so much so that in some areas, the old time floating dredges could not reach bedrock, where we know that the greater amount of gold is to be found. In all the years I have been detecting gold, I have found less than 10 specks of gold in this area of southern Idaho. There are larger nuggets to be found up in northern Idaho, say around Murray, but the snow is pretty deep there right now, unfortunately.

There is some notion that being a full time gold hunter is a lucrative venture, but if it was, there would be a whole lot of folks driving fancy new trucks, but the real truth is, I have seen full timers living on dog food, literally, which kinda takes the gloss off the success idea. The people making the dollars on gold propecting are the dealers, and there are some that would argue that point as well. So the best idea is to do the gold hunting thing as more as a leisure thing, and if you get lucky, well that is a good thing...end of sermon.

Let me know when you get up this way, and I'll be happy to meet you!

~LARGO~

The Gold hunting is just that a leisure thing. But I thank you for the kind words. I was looking on career builder and there are jobs in what I do there. But hadnt heard about 50,000 being out of work. I do have a hedge as we have an RV and because I earned so much, I max out on unemployment which would at least be for 6 months. A couple a grand a month goes a long way if your staying in an RV. But is not what we want for long term either.

I cant thank you enough for the advice though. Part of the reason why we are heading for Boise is because I have2 grand children up there and I havent even seen the youngest one yet.

If you can keep my posted through private messages if you hear anything else about the eployment situation up there. If you send a provate message, we arent bugging anyone on these forums.

Thanks again!

When you get to Idaho call or go see Gerry at Gery's detectors. He also has a website. He gives lessons and I am sure he will be able to help you concerning the laws in the areas. I have never met him but did talk to him on the phone and he seemed to be a real nice feller.

Thank you kindly Slim I will. Lessons...well I hope he can teach an old dog some new tricks! :icon_mrgreen: